WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roll on or Spray on?

Boolit Master

Roll on or Spray on?

When you're full length sizing your bottle neck cases do you use a spray on lube or a roll on lube? What brand works best for you?

Boolit Master

I use spray on olive oil. I spray some on the lube pad. Cheap and it works.
    https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...MaAjO7EALw_wcB
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I used to rub it on by holding 4-5 cases and rubbing my hands together like ya do in the winter.

Now days, I clean them real well, lay them out on a rag, spray Hornady's One Shot inside & the top,
    roll them a little, spray the top & inside again.

I like spraying since I can also lube inside the neck as well in one step.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I spray OneShot or Royal (SharpShooter). I use cool whip tubs for all of my case chores and I'll just put whatever cases I need to resize in a tub and spray them down lightly. If I get one that is grabby in the die, I'll give them another spritz. I do keep a tin of Imperial by my press mount just in case. I never lube inside the necks as I'm not using any buttons.

Just to make it more confusing, my shooting partner who has been at this longer than I (probably 40 years), only uses a RCBS pad and their liquid lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady's One Shot, fill the case holder, then spray one side at a 45* angle, rotate the board 180* and spray the other side.

Boolit Buddy
    Using either Imperial wax or my own lube, all I do is dab my fingers into the lube, then rub it around on the fingers I'll be handling the cases with. Then as I grab a case, I roll it a bit between those fingers. I have to repeat the process every 8 or 10 cases. Thats it! Use good stuff and it lasts danged near forever.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Shake n’ Bake. I size with a thin air tool oil. Throw all brass in a bag. Drip in a few drops of oil. Shake it. Then I start sizing. I wipe off the necks before sizing to avoid lube dents.

I just never bought any specialty sizing lube. What I do works and cleans off easily with soap and hot water.

JM

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a bad experience with the second can of One Shot that I bought, several stuck cases. WD 40 works for a spray lube, as long as you tumble the cases after sizing to remove the oil.

I've never liked using a case lube pad, I always got way too much lube. Then I read about using STP. A bit on a rag and wipe your fingers occasionally. It works and was fairly cheap.

Then I found a can of Imperial Sizing die wax. The best stuff I have ever used, the big can will last for several years.

Truth is just about anything will work when resizing cases, reforming them needs a bit better lube. Just make sure you use something, or else you will become very familiar with you stuck case remover.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Hornady's Unique. It's a white light grease that comes in a tub. All you need to do it touch it when your fingers get too dry, and run your fingers over the neck as you pick up the case and set it in the shell holder. At about 300 rounds per week one little tub lasts most of a year.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I use the rcbs lube on pad as I found doing very large batches that it washed off easy and then I dry cases , where the spray on lube midway brand I believe did not wash off as easy .

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Hornady's Unique. It's a white light grease that comes in a tub. All you need to do it touch it when your fingers get too dry, and run your fingers over the neck as you pick up the case and set it in the shell holder. At about 300 rounds per week one little tub lasts most of a year.
    +1 on Unique.

It's water soluble which works out just fine since I wet tumble. A small amount on your finger tip will lube 4 or 5 cases.

Boolit Master
    Spray on, 91% alcohol and pure lanolin 12 to 1. Lay out on shop towel spray a few spritzers and roll around. Save shop towel in plastic bag for later. Doesn’t take much.

Boolit Master
    Great answers! For years I used a pad and RCBS lube, always a mess. I tried Hornady spray on but it didn't feel slick and easy. Imperial Sizing lube is the berries, especially for reshaping things. If I spray my cases with the Hornady product they don't size down enough to chamber freely, using Imperial in the same situation they feel like unfired new cases. This happens in two different sizing full length sizing dies. So I'm looking for answers on lube. Your helping a lot.

Imperial. for everything.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    Started with a lube pad....then Imperial wax for rifle cases

Used nothing on pistol cases for years and then tried One Shot. Bought some Heet and lanolin but have not used it yet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    This ^^^
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I’m gonna have to agree with the Hornady Unique or imperial sizing wax. To me they are equally effective. Hornady one shot has allowed some stuck cases from time to time.

I use an RCBS Lube Pad and RCBS Case Lube . But I wipe the lube on the case with my fingers before sizing then rinse the cases off before continuing. I don't rush. Usually I size all my brass then put it in air tight Storage containers, for my next reloading session.

Don't like sticking my hands in Honey so I quit using the RCBS Lube and pad years ago. Only use the Hornady Unique or the Imperial wax. I have both and both are what the doctor ordered.

Banned

Used to use an RCBS pad but lately I've been using SPG spray lube.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast