Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 285gr cast H110 load

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that 44Man would tell you to load it to the base of the bullet, add a mag primer and hang on.

But seriously, what's the length of your bullet and what's the loaded length?
    44man's pet load (iirc) was 21.5gr H110 under the Lee C430-310-RF with a Federal 150 primer. Could have been W296 but those two are interchangeable. Both made in the same plant, on the same line, shipped with two different manufacturer's labels, one Winchester, one Hodgdon.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    44man's pet load (iirc) was 21.5gr H110 under the Lee C430-310-RF with a Federal 150 primer. Could have been W296 but those two are interchangeable. Both made in the same plant, on the same line, shipped with two different manufacturer's labels, one Winchester, one Hodgdon.
    That’s sounds like a pretty warm load too. Do you know how big the meplat is on that bullet?

Seating depth will make a significant difference in pressures too. One of my favorite loads with a 300gr Hornady XTP jacketed bullet was 21.5gr of H110 whith the bullet was seated to the front groove (that bullet had two crimp grooves) and WLP primers. Gave about 1330fps out of my 7.5" .44mag Super Redhawk. This same load gave about 1580fps in my Ruger 96/44 (that I should have kept). Easy extraction and good looking primers in both firearms.

With the bullet seated to the rear groove (with put the OAL past the 1.61" SAAMI spec), I loaded it with 22.5gr of H110 for approximately the same velocity out of the SRH. It extracted easily in the SRH, with no difference in primer appearance compared to the shorter loading with 21.5gr. The SRH has chambers that allow much longer OAL's. This is still my preferred load with that bullet in the SRH. Very consistent, with low SD's and great accuracy. With a 2x pistol scope I shot a 100 yard 4.3" 6 shot group (using all 6 chambers rather than just one) with it rested on sandbags. Shot several more of those groups, with none going over 6". That's as good as I can do with an LER 2x pistol scope at 100yds.

I tried a load of 22.5gr with that bullet seated to the front crimp groove (to 1.60-ish OAL) with the intent of using it in the levergun (which wouldn't accept an OAL over 1.61" in the mag). Tested it in the SRH first, and extraction was a bit sticky, and primers were starting to flatten (outer radius diminished by about 50%). This testing was all done in the summer in northern Ca, with temps at the range (and on properties where I'd be hunting) pushing 100 deg f and higher. Didn't bother chronographing that load or testing it in the 96/44. Went back to 21.5gr and all was well. I like to have a comfortable margin of safety/easy extraction, especially if I will be firing in hot weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12