WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: How to measure down range energy

Boolit Mold

How to measure down range energy

I am reworking a load for my 1853 slant breach Sharps. It uses a paper cartridge.

I want to ensure it has sufficient down range energy to take a deer.

Can down range kinetic energy be measured at the muzzle or do I have to set up the chronometer at the target? (obviously I'm worried about hitting the chronometer)

Thank you,

Tysen

Boolit Grand Master

A ballistics pendulum can be made free swinging with a chunk of wood and cloth tape measure. A tri pod with the heavy block of wood hanging. chain on top and cloth tape attached to bottom. A wire across the the front legs of the tri pod tape runs under it. Shoot the block with your favorite deer rifle and load and measure the distance. ( block will only pull the tape not push it) then shoot it with the new rifle and load and compare the distances.

My lab radar chrono gives velocities at 5 points down range sitting beside the rifle.

Even a simple swinging gong hanging at distance will give a good idea of energy at distance. Shoot it with a 22 and you get a tink and little wiggle. Same gong shot with a 30-06 is a ding and swings back about 8". Hit with a 500 grn from 45-70 it is a bong and almost wraps around the cross bar. . For better info attach the cloth tape measure to it so you can measure the swing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would just read the muzzle velocity and use table to determine downrange velocity. Find a table for a bullet about the same weight and profile of your bullets and it will be close enough for what you are inquiring about. If you know velocity and mass you know the energy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If you really want to measure down range velocity, put your chrony behind some thing so that the machine is hidden but the opening with the screens is not. I've done that and it works. Once you get velocity, energy is 1/2 times mass (pounds) times velocity squared. Having said that, try not to shoot the little rods that hold up the chrony screen. They are almost impossible to hit on purpose but it can happen. No need, obviously, to ask how I know.
    Hick: Iron sights!

For a gun like that energy doesn't matter much. Even at the muzzle the energy is nowhere near what a modern rifle produces at long range. But momentum it has, and in this case that's what kills the deer. At any ethical hunting distance, you will have plenty of power to kill a deer if you hit it properly.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    For a gun like that energy doesn't matter much. Even at the muzzle the energy is nowhere near what a modern rifle produces at long range. But momentum it has, and in this case that's what kills the deer. At any ethical hunting distance, you will have plenty of power to kill a deer if you hit it properly.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

It is fun to find out and experiment, and you should do it for the experience, but Nobade's answer is correct. Any reasonable and half accurate load you come up with will be very effective if you put a hit in the right place on game..
    Chill Wills