Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 405 WCF - light and speedy

Boolit Master

405 WCF - light and speedy

Howdy,
    Had anyone loaded 41 caliber pistol bullets in their 405? I watched a video where they were shooting 180 gr Barnes at around 3000fps! I am intrigued, and need an excuse to put a Beech combination front sight on a Miruko 1895. Has anyone seen load data published for this sort of performance?? I have loaded them to around 2300fps before, but that's about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Banned
    Holy crap, that’s got to sting when it hits!
    Monolithic pills are probably a good idea at those velocities.
    I’m interested in where this goes for you.
    —Griff

This would definitely be for the 1895 Japchester. The originals are suppose to be kept under 45,000 cpu. That sounds like the ultimate for flat shooting straight case. I don’t doubt it will bail them that fast, but accuracy?

Boolit Mold
    I have loaded 210 grain 41 magnum bullets in my .405 cases and shot them. Never hunted with them, but they should be enough for deer and hogs.
    Most of my .405 loading has been for larger animals and included 300 and 400 grain bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder at that speed and bullet weight, would there be enough adjustment in the sight to actually hit what one is aiming at?

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder at that speed and bullet weight, would there be enough adjustment in the sight to actually hit what one is aiming at?
    I have done it and the answer is “no”.

Even at moderate velocities (around 2000 fps) I could not get 210 grain 41 magnum handgun Bullets to hit anywhere near my point of aim (within the limits of where the factory sights adjust could be adjusted) in my japchester Model 95.

A receiver sight (which I believe the OP said he was gonna use) would need to be added to get the POA and POI to match up with ammo loaded with light for caliber 41 mag handgun Bullets.

Gratuitous (albeit unsolicited) pic of my 405.

Banned
    You can use heavier .41 mag cast pills, up to at least 270 grains. I’m curious now about how well a heavy-for-(.41 mag) caliber powder-coated cast bullet would perform in a .405 case charged with an appropriate amount of suitable powder.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Tried some of the 265 gr gas check bullets in my 405, they didn't shoot very well.
    The problem with some of this stuff you read on the internet about these blazing velocities achieved, either the guy doesn't have a chronograph, or isn't exactly telling the truth.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I have 21 Lyman on the rifle already. I was planning on adding a combination front sight to gain height.
    I attached the video to this post. This fella does use a chronograph, addresses accuracy, and does some interesting bullet performance testing.

https://youtu.be/NBWOeORlJ7s

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 10-05-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Keep in mind the 405 needs a bullet .412-.414 diameter, depending on the barrel measurements, to get the best accuracy, finding a bullet for the .41 that large is a tough thing without having a mould custom built.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned
    Two words: paper patch.