Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Rifle Matches

I shot my as-issued 03A3 in a couple of matches, but the stripper clips are a bit difficult to use, especially compared to those for the Swiss rifles.

The load first used in my K31 was a 153 gr. FP with a plain base (pictured above). I deliberately loaded it down so as to be subsonic. At our matches the big joke was we had to allow extra time after a string before we scored the targets. The RO's were afraid someone walking to the target stand might get there before the bullet from my last shot!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I never shot in a real high power match, but I have ran (and shot) an awful lot of rifle qualifications with the M-14.

In my experience, it isn't the recoil that is the problem, it is having a tight sling cut off circulation in your left arm and hand.

Even the old soft GI shooting coats have sufficient padding in the right places to prevent the arm problem, a heavily padded shooting mitt does for the hand.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Cant use reduced loads here ,must be 90% of military round ME.....this makes the 6.5s popular ,low recoil .

Boolit Buddy
    We have an email into the range to get the rules. We Prob need to start there. There are some shooting semi-auto also(M1)
    I thought it was just bolt action rifles?

Boolit Buddy
    I vote for rebarreling the 03A3 with criterion or Krieger that meets match rules.

I shot CMP with a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. It was extremely accurate, easy to reload & recoil was light (similar to a .243). I never tried a load (powder, bullet, primer combination) that didn't shoot well. Initially I disliked the cock on close, but found it much faster in the rapid stage than my 03A3. Also I disliked the straight bolt handle initially. I have another with a turned down bolt. The straight bolt handle is much faster in the rapids & I learned to appreciate it.

However, the guys that always beat me shot K31s.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    My 19 year old wants to get into these matches at a local range.
    100-200 yard ranges. I have the typical Mauser style rifles and Swiss straight pulls.
    He’s looking at the vintage websites but I thought I would ask here for rifle and ammo recommendations. Our 1903A3 has the best sight but the bore is rough and affects accuracy. I also have a #4 and 1917 Enfield I just received. Any other tips or gear recommendations appreciated.
    Your son's eyes are still young so he should be able to do as well with the issue sights on any of those rifles. 20 years ago I won numerous "Military Rifle matches" at Puyalup with my M98, M96 and Finn M38. We shot for score and group.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, he has 20/20 and shoots irons well. Just need to get organized.We needed a good spotting scope and a shooting mat anyway. He does some IPDA shoots, but this is a different animal.
    The internet is full of info on it and everyone seems to have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    I shot CMP with a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. It was extremely accurate, easy to reload & recoil was light (similar to a .243). I never tried a load (powder, bullet, primer combination) that didn't shoot well. Initially I disliked the cock on close, but found it much faster in the rapid stage than my 03A3. Also I disliked the straight bolt handle initially. I have another with a turned down bolt. The straight bolt handle is much faster in the rapids & I learned to appreciate it.

However, the guys that always beat me shot K31s.
    Same for me

I have shot my Swedish mauser with Soderin rear aperture sight, Remington 1903A3, and Remington 1903 rifles using cast bullets in 100 yard Garand matches and had fun doing it.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Mold
    The best 100 yard group I've ever shot was with a scoped (yeah, that's cheating) Swiss K-31 that cost me $59.95 delivered, when I had my C&R license. The 5 round group measured .45" CTC. Sold it because I didn't like the offset scope and my old eyes couldn't sort out the open rear sight. If his eyes can handle the sights that would be a great choice.

If not, go with the 03A3. BTW, Swedish Mauser stripper clips work great in those rifles.

Hector

Boolit Master
    Here is something for shooting at close range.
    125 sierra flat based bullet
    powder IMR 4895 from 37 to 40 grains max.
    Any case any primer except magnum primers not needed.
    This load was given to me many years ago from the NRA as a 300 meter load.
    Get your sights set for 100 yds then shoot for 200 yds. Light on recoil and very accurate. Don't know if the NRA specifies power levels though. Frank

Boolit Master

Now that winter is coming upon us, be a good time to do some dry firing. Make up some dummy rounds to practice the rapid fire stage. Join a local small bore or air rifle league. Next year, attend one of the CMP shooting games that are held around the country. The Small Arms Firing School would be an excellent experience.
    Check out the CMP web site, lots of good stuff there; https://thecmp.org/
    The CMP sells new barrels for the 03A3 https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/A3
    They have a custom shop that will install it. https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/
    Lots of shooting advise here from the best; https://thecmp.org/training-tech/sho...ce-rifle-team/

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all for the comments. We are looking for another vintage rifle range as the original matches have been discontinued. I’m going to steer him away from IDPA pistol matches for now due to the primer shortage. I can’t see things getting better anytime soon. We did shoot C&B revolvers and he enjoyed that. Still can get caps and BP.

If he enjoyed a CB revolver bet he would like flintlocks too no pesky caps to buy just need a decent rock and I doubt there will ever be a shortage on those
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12