RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Rifle Matches

Boolit Buddy

Vintage Rifle Matches

My 19 year old wants to get into these matches at a local range.
    100-200 yard ranges. I have the typical Mauser style rifles and Swiss straight pulls.
    He’s looking at the vintage websites but I thought I would ask here for rifle and ammo recommendations. Our 1903A3 has the best sight but the bore is rough and affects accuracy. I also have a #4 and 1917 Enfield I just received. Any other tips or gear recommendations appreciated.

Moderator Emeritus
    Any of those would work fine. He will also probably want a shooting mat and spotting scope at some point. You will need a sling and glove/mitt for the support hand. Oh yeah, lots of ammo for practice!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The 03A3 is probably the best out of the box rifle due to its peep sight, but the Swiss K31, Finnish M39 and M28/30 are also strong contenders for a young shooter with good eyes who can see the open sights.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

The U.S. Model 1917 would be hard to beat also. I have had several and they were all very accurate. james

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The 03A3 is probably the best out of the box rifle due to its peep sight, but the Swiss K31, Finnish M39 and M28/30 are also strong contenders for a young shooter with good eyes who can see the open sights.
    I agree I could shoot just about everything well at 19 ! Which gun can he shoot best now ? I'd let him pick which he's comfortable shooting in all positions and which he can reload the quickest . All you mentioned can be competitive . Personally I'd find a new barrel to screw on the O3A3 and put it in a C stock .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all,
    I might look for a barrel for the A3, it’s a referb with a Corona receiver/barrel and a Rem bolt. We will reload his ammo, Shouldn’t be too hard for only 200yards. In the meantime he can use the K31 or 98k to have fun with. I wish I had his eyes! He will need a lot of work with the standing shooting tho.

Boolit Master

my 2 cents - go with the '06, it's just a bit cheaper. the '17 will suck up a lot more recoil, but I don't like cock on closing. I think the '03 has the smoothest action os those mentioned, straight pull not included. Barrels or the 03A3 are around, or get one mounted up if he show interest and stick with it. I'll check my closet.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone here mentioned to get a used Bausch & Lomb spotting scope so he is looking on the internet for that.
    Yes,,The easiest would be the 06,,At least for reloading.

Boolit Master
    I would install a Criterion barrel on the 03A3 and call it a day. Those barrels are superb, IMO, based on having a couple rifles with them on. One in particular (on a put-together 1903A1) shoots as well, and sometimes better, than the pristine star gauged barrel on my 1903A1 National Match.

I like 'em all, but think I'd go with gnoahhh's advice. L.E. No.4s, 1917s, K31s, all good!

An after thought--since you're open to suggestions, maybe an M1 or M1A?
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 10-05-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My #4 really likes 174gr HPBT Sierra Matchkings. I use 168gr Sierra Matchkings for my M1 and 1903. Practice in the standing position will do a lot to help scores. Work on fundamentals, sight picture, trigger, follow thru. Learn to call your shot. Rapid fire most new shooters rush too much. After shooting rapid for a bit you will realize you have lots of time.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to keep Milsurps original military if I can tho. I'm not a purist, but have been lucky keeping them original.
    I guess this is an arsenal rebuild anyway. I may look into a aftermarket barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    I try to keep Milsurps original military if I can tho. I'm not a purist, but have been lucky keeping them original.
    I guess this is an arsenal rebuild anyway. I may look into a aftermarket barrel.
    Nothing saying you have to throw an original barrel in the garbage can. Keep it for posterity, to be re-installed on the gun if "originality" is called for some day for some reason.

I have owned and shot all of those you have mentioned. My #4's and 1917's have been so-so in the accuracy department, and while I absolutely love my 03A3's, especially with their aperture sights, the K-31's are far and away the most accurate military rifles I've ever fired. In fact using cast bullets and firing High Power on the reduced (100 yd.) course, I attained an Expert classification in less than a years time with a K-31.

In addition to their accuracy, the straight pull is extremely fast to manipulate.

19 year old eyes should have no problem with the tangent sights.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

The above link has some very good info, I think, and for 1-200 yards you really don't need the full power of a .30-06.

I like the Model 1917, but windage adjustment is its downfall for target shooting. Unless you can find and legally use one of the Parker Hale aperture sights for it.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus
    If you are reloading for a bolt action, you can use a light bullet and light powder charge to reduce recoil quite a bit. It will help in the rapids and help to not bet him up. Keep in mind that a match is 50 shots.

If he shoots the K-31, the first 5 rounds can be loaded in the magazine. There is a Swiss charger that will hold the other 5 rounds for a quick reload. I am not sure how common they are.

Boolit Master
    Ive mentioned this a few times. Try the old 300 meter load. 125 gr Sierra flatbased bullet and any case or primer. start at about 36 grains IMR4895 and don't exceed 40 grs max. I shot this in an old Smith Corona and was like shooting a match rifle. Some of the members here related they were basically doing the same thing. May have to do some sight adjusting with the different yardages. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    . I wish I had his eyes! He will need a lot of work with the standing shooting tho.
    Yep that's where most matches are won or lost . If the recoil is troublesome for him give cast bullets a try. It's only 200 yds so the a nice accurate mid power load is all you need . Heck I shot a few matches with the Lee 155 and 6 grs of Bullseye in my 03a3 and did respectable at 200 yds
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Depending on where and what type match he may need a cartridge belt to hold clips, a Mdl 1923 or 44 would doClick image for larger version. 

Name:	A2440193-2107-4429-8F90-1726030325D8.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	268871
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I remember my dad having one of those belts,,Maybe my brother has it now.
    I like the idea of lighter bullets or using cast. Those are great results that were posted.
    Impressive using fast burning pistol powder instead of using 2400 or slower powders.
    I have a range of 160-200 grain .30 molds.
    The O3A3 is his favorite, Maybe not with 50 full powered loads tho.
    Right now we are researching the shooting positions and the time you get. Strippers clips are
    used so he will have to practice with that too. There not always easy to use.
    For right now he will have to use the short Swede Mauser, I have the wooden bullet ammo and can dump
    the powder and reload them quick with a reduced load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast