Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20 gauge SxS project

Boolit Master

FUN reading
    Thanks all
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Some of you might be aware of the Pacific Rifle Company(now defunct) that made some of the nicest Hopkins and Allen Style Underlever Black Powder Rifles in 62. caliber(20 ga) and also .73 caliber (12 ga.) with Henry Rifling made specifically for round balls.

This guy made some nice stuff and his guns were very accurate. Not a 20 Ga SXS but in the same general spirit.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Well, it just so happened that I dropped by the authorities and applied for a 20 gauge SxS buying permit. This thread was the final trigger... enabler...

"What permit ?" , I hear.

(We have all this (costly) bureaucracy here, it begins with club memberships and governmet issued hunting licenses etc. Then, with that paperwork in order,you can apply for a permit to buy a hunting firearm. Handguns are more complicated and they are not considered hunting guns.)

Banner Sponsor

I started looking for a 20ga also, LoL.
    But I'd like to find one with dual locking lugs and a Greener cross bolt. Just in case I happen to hot rod it a little.
    I do have a 10ga Zabala double, but the thing is so massive it would not be too much fun to pack through the woods for very long.

Boolit Master
    All hail to the blessed 20 gauge....the greatest gauge of all !!!

My nefarious plan is working !!! (...rubs hands together and twirls mustache...)

Obviously, just joking... . But, I am glad that this thread has perhaps stirred some interest. Gee, does that make me an "influencer" ??? (Whatever the heck that is....?)

Boolit Master
    Food for the SxS.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm !! Colorful gumballs...yum ! Be careful, they rot your teeth, though.

Actually, interesting. I assume they are powder coated, bore- sized "pumpkin balls", yes ? I guess I never really thought about powder coating projectiles for shotguns. As I said, interesting.

Banned
    Greetings, I feel sorry for all my life I wasted a lot of money on buying 12 gauge shot guns when all I needed was a Savage 220 and my TC Pro hunter with 28 inch rifled SS barrels.
    There is no reason to opt for a 12 gauge slug gun compared to the far more pleasant shooting 20 gauge slug offerings, unless you just think you want a 12 gauge. There is no tangible difference, except that current 20 gauge offerings are a lot more fun to shoot.

Its so much more fun when we cook our own.
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-05-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

But grasshopper always remember.... the big .735 can be slowed way down while the .61 can only be made to go so fast.
    This is why we need both !
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vendor Sponsor

AJAY: You have obviously never hunted truly big game like the Paper and Steel Targets we shoot,

They require much more horsepower to successfully knock down! Knock down power IE: Taylor Knockdown "TKD" is King!

A 20ga. just doesn't have the beans necessary to humanly deal with with these serious threats. 5/8" cal. versus 3/4" cal. That missing 1/8" puts you at a significant disadvantage when facing a charging Paper Target.

I would think you would know this already.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    AJAY: You have obviously never hunted truly big game like the Paper and Steel Targets we shoot,

They require much more horsepower to successfully knock down! Knock down power IE: Taylor Knockdown "TKD" is King!

A 20ga. just doesn't have the beans necessary to humanly deal with with these serious threats. 5/8" cal. versus 3/4" cal. That missing 1/8" puts you at a significant disadvantage when facing a charging Paper Target.

I would think you would know this already.

Randy
    I have received ferociuos paper cuts in the past, nothing to be taken lightly! Steel can bite back if you are too close. I better get a bigger bore shotgun.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

The ever loved and respected ( now anyway ) mountain men of very late 1700's and early 1800's in the rocky mountains had a lot of respect for the smooth '62'. Almost every "camp" had at least one smoothie for regular table fare, and self defense.

Never count the 20 out ... er .62

Merry Christmas all!! As most of you can see, I don't post much..just enjoy the reading you all provide. I do have in my possession a 20 gauge double rifle built by my friend and gunsmith the late Bob Hynden (aka birdhunter50) I have had it quite while now, and live in the people republic of Maryland which does not provide me with many opportunities to shoot. So in my pursuit now at my age have decided to thin out my gun collection. It is a purposely built 20 rifle on a stout Mercury action with Lother Walther rifled barrels and a nice case....Anyone interested in it please pm me anytime....Fred

Banned
    Greetings Motel Alpha, PM sent for your 20 ga, wanting to see and get more information, please.
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned
    I'm anxiously still waiting to see the pictures of that rifled barrel and more information, since I am looking to buy a 20 ga over and under with 26 inch rifled barrels Nitro Express.

Sure will appreciate any and all help.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    I'm anxiously still waiting to see the pictures of that rifled barrel and more information, since I am looking to buy a 20 ga over and under with 26 inch rifled barrels Nitro Express.

Sure will appreciate any and all help.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Im unable to post photos here as my camera/phone does not work very well....maybe ab operator problem..So, I will email them to you if you pm me

Banned
    Greetings MotelAlpha, PM sent and anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Some of you might be aware of the Pacific Rifle Company(now defunct) that made some of the nicest Hopkins and Allen Style Underlever Black Powder Rifles in 62. caliber(20 ga) and also .73 caliber (12 ga.) with Henry Rifling made specifically for round balls.

This guy made some nice stuff and his guns were very accurate. Not a 20 Ga SXS but in the same general spirit.

Randy
    Forsyth rifling - shallow wide grooves, and very narrow lands. 1 in 100 to 1 in 144 inch twist. Said to shoot small shot well also.

Vendor Sponsor

This is what I was talking about. it was unique at the time and supposedly dealt with Black Powder Fouling better than others.

Randy

Boolit Master
    I love this project, and have been thinking the same thing, but haven't done anything beyond working on slug loads for my Stoeger Uplander and testing accuracy with different chokes installed. No surprise here, but it does it's best with Cylinder.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?