RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Reloading Coach around Pullman, WA?

Looking for a Reloading Coach around Pullman, WA?

Now that I've got some equipment and primers, I'm in need of someone with additional reloading equipment and experience that I can learn from. Perhaps, even get some more equipment like the currently disappearing Small Pistol Primers.

My maximal preferred commuting distance would be Lewiston, ID, about a 40 min drive from where I live. Hopefully, I can also learn about the process of bullet casting and coating bullets in lubricant. Most importantly, I need experience with other types of reloading brands so that I can know which ones I should get in the future.

Is anyone in the Moscow/Lewiston area that can show me the ropes on reloading equipment that's actually bolted to something solid?

Banned
    You’re very wise in seeking a reloading mentor. I’m in Florida, sorry, can’t help...and I’m relatively new at it myself. I followed the same path, a good friend showed me the ropes and even took time off from working to do it; he felt it was that important.
    Good luck to you, in both your reloading and school efforts.
    R/Griff

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can get a mentor, how do you know he knows what he is doing?

Even we "experts" here do not agree on everything. And I have seen some silly stuff posted here.

Spend time reading and use your common sense. Ask questions and get a cross section of opinions. You will learn in a very few months who to listen to if you spend some time here.

Failing that, get the Lyman and Lee books. You may not believe it, but most of us learned by reading....there were no personal computers even invented when I learned to reload 50+ years ago.

You are starting with a good caliber. 38Spl. Your main safety issue is to avoid a double charge. NEVER charge a case and put it down. Once a case is charged with powder, IMMEDIATELY seat the bullet. It is impossible to double charge it you do that. And it is more efficient!! Others will tell you charge every case, put it in a loading block, take a light and check for a double charge and then seat the bullets...and it only takes one mistake to have an issue. My way is idiot proof.

Good luck!!!!
    Last edited by dverna; 10-04-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

As usual dverna gives good advice. I have learned to load this way unless I’m on my progressive.

Given today’s climate, there may be some hesitation for someone to bring a complete stranger to visualize their reloading and consequently gun gear.

I’d recommend getting the current Lyman cast handbook, and read, learn and ask plenty of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    As usual dverna gives good advice. I have learned to load this way unless I’m on my progressive.

Given today’s climate, there may be some hesitation for someone to bring a complete stranger to visualize their reloading and consequently gun gear.

I’d recommend getting the current Lyman cast handbook, and read, learn and ask plenty of questions.
    Thank you for the recommendations! Is there an earlier version of that Lyman Casting Handbook that's in PDF Form? I've had great success looking through the Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook that someone provided me in that format.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations! Is there an earlier version of that Lyman Casting Handbook that's in PDF Form? I've had great success looking through the Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook that someone provided me in that format.
    Unfortunately I know of none.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Unfortunately I know of none.
    That's OK. I think I'll go off the casting information in the Lyman manual for the time being, and do some research on equipment prices. that way, if someone's looking to part with some of theirs, I know what it is and how well it is liked.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If there is a local store that sells reloading supplies, try posting a note asking there. Otherwise, the basics are not that complicated. Yes be careful not to double charge and use minimum starting loads to begin with. There’s lots available on YouTube and you can always ask questions here and/or search the data base.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    There’s lots available on YouTube and you can always ask questions here and/or search the data base.
    I've been trawling through YouTube for reloading channels and I've found a good selection of friendly faces.
    One of my favorites in that subject is FortuneCookie45LC. He's fairly small in terms of subscriber count but he's got plenty of great videos on the subject.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...FODu1QpedvpInA

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome from the wet side of our great state.

I wrote a big rant about how people are scared to meet other people. And keeping our hobby alive. Blah blah blah. But I deleted it.

Send Idaho45guy a PM. I think that he works for some tech company that has a facility near one of the universities, in Pullman or Moscow. You could go get a coffee and look at the empty shelves in the LGS. Or maybe he knows an “expert” who could show you the ropes there in Pullman.

JM

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    Thank you man! This will really help!

It's probably going to be years before I actually start casting my own, but learning about it now's a good idea.

Boolit Master

Cornell Publishing has a large selection of Lyman manual reprints for sale.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Richard Lee was my "mentor".
    As I read his book and loaded my first cartridge, it was as if he was standing
    right behind me.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I've been trawling through YouTube for reloading channels and I've found a good selection of friendly faces.
    I wouldn't watch any Youtube videos until you've read atleast one
    complete reloading manual.
    Everything you need to know is contained within those pages.
    It'll keep you from blowing up a gun or two.
    Believe me, it's a violent process when it occurs.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I wouldn't watch any Youtube videos until you've read atleast one
    complete reloading manual.
    Everything you need to know is contained within those pages.
    It'll keep you from blowing up a gun or two.
    Believe me, it's a violent process when it occurs.
    I'm not really trusting my life to these youtube videos, I'm putting a lot more trust into the reloading manuals that I've scrounged up. I'll be getting the most recent Lee reloading manual this upcoming week. It's very interesting seeing different content creators reloading for similar calibers but using different die sets and techniques to get it done. There's a lot of them out there.

Banned
    FortuneCookie45LC is a good YouTube channel...might learn some neat stuff from him.

Learning from a mentor is no substitute for read a manual yourself. I've been loading and casting a decade, and I still read everything I can on the subject. I wish I'd had a mentor, but also glad I didn't in that I didn't learn their bad habits before I understood reloading.

Boolit Master
    Too bad you aren't on the wet side of the mountains.

Boolit Master

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...W1FR001OGcwTEk

Enough PDF copies of books to keep you reading for a loooong time.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast