Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: My first pan lubing effort.

Boolit Master

My first pan lubing effort.

I whipped up a quadruple batch of runfiverun's simple lube yesterday. Went to Goodwill to get a couple cheap pans, picked up some vaseline and non synth 2 stroke oil. I had the dexron atf and beeswax on hand. See the simple lube sticky. One of the first molds I bought was an RCBS 250K. This bullet just begs for conventional lube. And I recently picked up a 1987 Super Blackhawk and a 1984 Smith 24-3 so that cinched it.

Mixing it up per the instructions was, well, simple. I put the boolits in a small cake pan base down and set them on the glass top stove on low. When the boolits were quite warm I took the pan off the heat and ladled the liquid mixture into the pan. Should have put on my reading glasses because I filled the pan above the lube grooves and into the crimp groove. Not that big of deal but better avoided. Ended up pulling the boolits out by lightly gripping the noses with a pliers ( gasp ).

Turned out really good. Y'all really didn't need pictures of this did you? I will be shooting some of these out of the Blackhawk tomorrow and I will endeavor to take some photos of the groups. I always figured I would wind up getting a lubri sizer after trying pan lube. But you cannot find any now, except perhaps a top of of the line Star/Magma.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    I've pan lubed for years, a bit slow but all I have is time. I made a cake cutter out of an old cartridge case. When the bullets are out of the pan I refill the holes with another batch of bullets and set the pan on a hot plate, heat it slowly until the wax is melted, let it cool and repeat the process. Add wax as needed.

I pan lube in a couple round cake tins. Once the initial pour of hot wax is over and my cake has holes I just keep using them. What I do, is pop it in the oven on the lowest setting. Take it out and soon as it's cool to the touch but not cold, you can flip the cake tin over and the lube and bullets pop out. Then you can just push the bullets out by the nose. Pretty quick and easy.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 10-03-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    The pan lubed boolits performed very well. 24 rounds each in my 24-3 and Super Blackhawk. Bores look clean and accuracy was good.
    7 and 9 grains of Unique respectively which are warmer loads. Most of my molds are tumble lube style and one is meant for coating. But this RCBS 250K mold is going to get pan lubed hence forth.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16019251593065119104862319054823.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	268879

12 shots at 10 yards off hand. Upper target was the SBH, lower the 24-3. The other rounds went on steel.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-05-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

I pan lube all my BPCR bullets with emmerts improved lube and remove with a homemade cake cutter. My set up is like a double boiler a bigger pan with to parallels then the pan with lube. 1) I dont want to scorch the waxes or lanolin,2) I think its safer than just a pan over an open flame. I heat till the lube is molten then another 5-8 ,ins to make sure the bullets are warmed good. Then turn off flame and let cool to where lube is some what solid then into refrigerator to cool down. When cool I remove the bullets with the cake cutter, this leaves the holes for the next use. Just set the next batch in the holes and into the pan of water. I find by giving the little extra warming time I get more complete fill of the grooves.

With soft lubes in a bind you can also hand lube with fingers. A little lube on finger and work it into the grooves then remove excess with the cake cutter. Like hand packing a bearing.

My pans hold just over 200 45 cal bullets. I prefer to shoot these boolits as cast and this works well.

A 45-70 case with the primer pocket drilled out makes a decent cake cutter for 45 cal. Even better is a piece of brass tubing thin walled about 4" long work the end down to the correct inside dia in a sizing die Here work slow push in a small amount and work out by hand then a little farther and work out ( no rim to use press) you need to work this to 3/8"- 1/2" long sharpen inside to outside with a case deburring tool so when cutting it pushes lube into grooves. I push a 1 1/2" -2" piece of rubber tubing over the back end for a nice grip. this is a push thru just keep cutting bullet and they come out the top . The tubing can be found in 12" lengths at Online metals.com

Boolit Master
    Good results. As soon as I break down, and prize upon my pocket book again, and get a good Keith type mold, I will look that formula up. Just started using a Lee type .430" 240 grain SWC mold, and the 50% Mineral Spirits/ 50 % Lee Liquid Alox works fine for them.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

No shame in using the pliers to remove the bullets been doing it that way since day one . Something tips I've learned pan lubing my way is to pluck the bullets out while their still just a touch warm , when it's the right degree of warm when you pluck them out you'll hear a sucking/popping sound hard to explain it in words though but you'll have a perfectly round hole in the cake if too warm the edges of the lube cake hole collapses some too cold and its harder to get them out I use a small second hand toaster oven after the lube goes liquid leave it in for 5 min or so and just shut it off and open the door to cool back to solid
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I spray the pan with olive oil spray, place bullets in the pan, pour heated lube to desired height. Soon as the the lube sets but still warm pop them in a freezer for a few minutes. Take out of the freezer turn the pan over upside down and and the weight of the bullets will pull and release the whole cake of lube and bullets. You can then just push them out of lube cake,perfectly lubed slightly warm bullets