RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 410ga Forend Nut Removal Tool

Banned

Mossberg 500 410ga Forend Nut Removal Tool

I possibly posted this in a wrong category but I went to the Forum home page and didn't see anything for gun tools

... but I'm trying to find the standard tool used for removing the nut from a shotgun's forend

I've tried Ebay, Amazon, Mossberg, Brownells, and a few other popular sites as well as doing searches through google, bing, and duck duck go search engines but NOTHING found for the smaller-diameter forend nut that's on the very common Mossberg 500 410's .... no, a 12ga and 20ga forend nut tool does not fit it due to the 410's nut is a much smaller diameter.

I already know can make one out of pipe, deep-well sockets, etc but if I don't have to, I really don't feel like having to make a tool for such a common forend nut and I don't like having to use 2 straight screwdrivers whereby placing each one on the notches of the nut and then rotating them to turn the nut counter clockwise... this already started to deform the notches before the nut even started to loosen and so I stopped right there.

A link to where this tool is sold would be appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	268754

Magpul includes one with every Magpul Fore End. Don't know if it will work on a .410. They are mostly for 12/20 ga.

Are you changing the furniture on that gun? If not you probably don't need to remove it for cleaning or any other purpose.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

It would take me about 5 mins to take a short piece of pipe and stick it in a vise and go at it with a 4" hand held DeWalt grinder leaving the two teeth sticking up, then turn it with a pair of vise grips clamped on it. You could do it with a hacksaw in less than 15mins if you don't have a grinder.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    It would take me about 5 mins to take a short piece of pipe and stick it in a vise and go at it with a 4" hand held DeWalt grinder leaving the two teeth sticking up, then turn it with a pair of vise grips clamped on it. You could do it with a hacksaw in less than 15mins if you don't have a grinder.
    I already said that "I already know can make one out of pipe, deep-well sockets, etc but if I don't have to, I really don't feel like having to make a tool for such a common forend nut" and "A link to where this tool is sold would be appreciated"

www.Magpul.com again.

You'll have to call them and see if it will work on a .410 or if they make one specifically for a .410. I have seen a M590 Tactical in .410 listed on the Mossberg Website with Magpul Furniture once.

I have 2 of the tools for 12 ga because I bought two sets of Furniture for two guns.

Only other option would be to call Brownell's and see if the have something.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-03-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    www.Magpul.com again.

You'll have to call them and see if it will work on a .410 or if they make one specifically for a .410. I have seen a M590 Tactical in .410 listed on the Mossberg Website with Magpul Furniture once.

I have 2 of the tools for 12 ga because I bought two sets of Furniture for two guns.

Only other option would be to call Brownell's and see if the have something.

Randy
    I've already said "I've tried Ebay, Amazon, Mossberg, Brownells, and a few other popular sites"

and a 12ga and 20ga forend nut are not going to be the same as a 410's

Boolit Grand Master

I think I've used a butter knife on every one I've had. I've never needed anything more fancy than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Get-The-Lead-Out View Post
    I've already said "I've tried Ebay, Amazon, Mossberg, Brownells, and a few other popular sites"

and a 12ga and 20ga forend nut are not going to be the same as a 410's
    Then it probably doesn't exist in this world, and you're just going to have to make it yourself. Sorry for trying to help.

Randy

Boolit Master

Grind a 20 to fit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Grind a 20 to fit.
    I already said that "I already know can make one out of pipe, deep-well sockets, etc but if I don't have to, I really don't feel like having to make a tool for such a common forend nut" and "A link to where this tool is sold would be appreciated"

Boolit Master

You've already been told that a butterknife would work.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Learn to read and/or pay attention

Which part of "A link to where this tool is sold would be appreciated" which I said in my very first comment, don't you understand!?

aside from that being perfectly clear as to what I'm looking for and not needing you jerks tell me the OBVIOUS of how to remove the nut when not having the proper tool that I'm looking for, since you won't read my initial comment and/or pay attention, I 'll say it again and now read it SLOWLY ALL THE WAY to the END unless you still need time to pull your head out of your butt first: I said QUOTE I already know can make one out of pipe, deep-well sockets, etc but if I don't have to, I really don't feel like having to make a tool for such a common forend nut and I don't like having to use 2 straight screwdrivers whereby placing each one on the notches of the nut counter clockwise and then rotating them to turn the nut this already started to deform the notches before the nut even started to loosen and so I stopped right there. END QUOTE

We appreciate civil behavior on this forum. Having said that go to U Tube and search for forend nut removal using an AR spanner wrench.. That wrench is .$10. IF i can find my AR spanner I will try it on my 500E and see if it works. I am guessing you haven't the link to the tool you want is because no one is making this tool in 410

BB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    We appreciate civil behavior on this forum. Having said that go to U Tube and search for forend nut removal using an AR spanner wrench.. That wrench is .$10. IF i can find my AR spanner I will try it on my 500E and see if it works. I am guessing you haven't the link to the tool you want is because no one is making this tool in 410

BB
    and I appreciate civil behavior too which initially includes people who want to genuinely help whereby them actually reading and paying attention to what others have clearly stated that they are specifically needing and specifically informed them of what theyre not needing.

Well thanks for the idea and I'll see if I can locate a spanner wrench... yes, from all the previous searching over the past few days and then searching more today, it's most certainly looking like no one is actually making the tool for it

Boolit Grand Master

I'm all for tools that make life easier, but I just don't see how it could be any easier? You don't have to buy anything, or make anything. A butter knife works, surely you have one. I've used a file in the past. Just a piece of junk steel would do it. I don't understand why you would try and use 2 screwdrivers, that just sounds like a stabbed hand waiting to happen. All it needs to be is flat, at least about 2" long, and thinner than the slot, about 1/8".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

I'm all for tools that make life easier, but I just don't see how it could be any easier? You don't have to buy anything, or make anything. A butter knife works, surely you have one. I've used a file in the past. Just a piece of junk steel would do it. I don't understand why you would try and use 2 screwdrivers, that just sounds like a stabbed hand waiting to happen. All it needs to be is flat, at least about 2" long, and thinner than the slot, about 1/8".
    and I'm all for people who respect others by providing genuine help whereby consists of actually reading and paying attention to someone else's thread for seeing how they made it clear that they were not wanting to make a tool or otherwise use anything other than a tool that was actually made for this specific task of removing the nut, and also specifically asked for only the link for the tool that's specifically made for this nut

and no a butter knife doesn't work just fine... for a butter knife to work, you first have to remove the forend from the receiver by disassembling the receiver whereby then having the full ability to access the forend tube nut which then allows the butter knife to span completely across both notches of the nut, and you can even see in the picture I provided right in my initial thread here whereby showing how a butter knife wont just so simply take off this nut, and can also clearly see that's why I mentioned using 2 screw drivers in the manner which I said that I tried to use them in

Boolit Grand Master

I did not mean any disrespect, I believe there is some confusion going on. I made the following video to hopefully clear up how to change a Mossberg forend. The only real disassembly is removing the barrel and the trigger group. As far as I know, this will work on any Mossberg pump, .410 through 12 gauge. If you are talking about the new flex system with a quick change stock and forend, then I beleive the entire forend tube is replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rMuD85oMo

Banned
    I did not mean any disrespect, I believe there is some confusion going on. I made the following video to hopefully clear up how to change a Mossberg forend. The only real disassembly is removing the barrel and the trigger group. As far as I know, this will work on any Mossberg pump, .410 through 12 gauge. If you are talking about the new flex system with a quick change stock and forend, then I beleive the entire forend tube is replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rMuD85oMo
    Thank you for the polite reply, and I watched the video you provided but it's just like I said in my previous reply about how I do not want having to disassemble the parts from the receiver in order to take off my slide action to then get a butter knife to go across both notches in the forend nut. I just want to leave my gun assembled like I do and have done for YEARS with my Mossberg 500 12ga and 20ga when wanting to remove the forend nut whereby the tool, that I showed in my picture in my first comment, does this perfectly

My individual situation is that I had to order several different forends since this Mossberg500 410 gun can be a pain in the butt to get a product that actually fits right even though the sellers/manufactures out there will claim in their descriptions that it will fit, but like with both my Mossberg 12 and 20ga, I had nothing but problems with fitting issues, and so I dont want having to disassemble my receiver each time that I try one of the new forends on my gun and then if it fits go out and test fire it to see how it feels and operates. If I can find the forend nut tool or spanner wrench I can simply remove the nut without having to disassemble the receiver each time I try on a new forend to see how it fits and then test fire it to see how it feels and functions, and after that move onto the next forend repeating the process until I find the forend that I personally like on the gun

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, I see. You are looking for a tool that can remove one while the slide is still on the magazine tube. There is an alternative method from what I showed. Instead of removing the trigger group, you can unscrew the magazine tube. I prefer the trigger group method myself, but maybe you will like the magazine tube better. Outside of that, I'll leave you be. I have never seen a tool exactly like you have pictured above. I saw a socket once that was for a deeply recessed one, possibly Magpul? I don't think Mossberg ever made such a tool. If all else fails, I can make you one real easy on the Bridgeport.

Banned
    Ok, I see. You are looking for a tool that can remove one while the slide is still on the magazine tube. There is an alternative method from what I showed. Instead of removing the trigger group, you can unscrew the magazine tube. I prefer the trigger group method myself, but maybe you will like the magazine tube better. Outside of that, I'll leave you be. I have never seen a tool exactly like you have pictured above. I saw a socket once that was for a deeply recessed one, possibly Magpul? I don't think Mossberg ever made such a tool. If all else fails, I can make you one real easy on the Bridgeport.
    Awww well thanks for the offer... that's quite nice of you but my dad is a machinist of nearly 55 years (he started around 20yo and now going on 75 this Feb) at Timet Metals where they produce titanium for places like Boeing and he taught all his sons including me how to use a lathe and milling machine not to mention how to improvise when we dont have the right tool for the job, however I really dont want having to make a tool if I dont have to... I mean in all seriousness I've made ALOT of tools over the years and improvised all kinds of things but this time I've earned the situation of simply just dont feel like making a tool even though this job of making this simple tool wouldn't be all that much time and work ... it's just nice from time to time getting to buy the tool made for the job but yes, it's looking like I very well may have to make the tool, that is if I can't find a spanner wrench that will do the same job.

Well hey thanks for your understanding and hope you have a good evening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast