Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: wanted: 45ACP 225 gr load data

Boolit Mold

wanted: 45ACP 225 gr load data

I just acquired a couple thousand 225 gr boolits pretty cheap that I will be powder coating soon. In looking at all the manuals I have, there is load data for 200 grain and 230 grain cast boolits, but I couldn't find anything for 225 grain. Anyone have an idea of what I should start with when going between the two weights? I have reloaded a lot for many years but I typically use printed data for all my reloading and haven't experimented with anything else. Note: I have seen that the data for the lighter of the two weights uses a higher grain weight of powder than the heavier one, so would I be safe in assuming I could just start in between somewhere? I will primarily use these for plinking and practice in my Colt 1911.
    Roger Petrella
    Colorado Springs, CO

Boolit Master

Depending on which powder you are going to use, and the charge weight you work up, you can use the 230 grain load data for your 225 grain cast boolits.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

If you type in on the net search, 45acp 225 grain load data, that should keep you busy for aong time.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Use the 230 grain data. You can use data for a heavier bullet and it will be safe, but not the other way around
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Vendor Sponsor

Check to see that the seated depth of the base of each boolit is close, you can use 230gr load data no problem.

What you don't want to do is assume since your boolit is lighter than the 230gr, that data should be interchangeable. This works great *IF* the base of the boolits sits at the same depth in the case. However, if you had a 225gr full wadcutter that sat much lower in the case than the 230gr round nose you are looking at data for, you could be creating a serious over charge by using the load data for the 230gr round nose under the 225gr full wadcutter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    What sort of propellant dlo you plan to use?
    If you have data for a 230 gr. bullet (LRN?) that has greater O.A.L. (let's say, 1.260") than for the 225 gr. bullet (TCFP?), just use the 230 gr. LRN data, and try to get as close as you can to this U.A.L., when seating the TCFP (let's say 1.240 - 1.255"). You should be okay if you start at 10% under the max. charge weight & work up by 0.1 gr. increments. With the shorter, stubbier bullet, you may reach the max. charge (in terms of pressure) at a lower charge weight than with the LRN, but velocities with both will likely match closely.

I TRY to seat LRNs so that about a thumbnail's thickness (@ 0.0312") of "shoulder" extends above the case mouth. This usually gives me an O.A.L. of 1.250" - 1.265". If I try to seat the shorter, stubbier TC bullets to that same length, I'll have much more shoulder extending above the case mouth than I did with the LRN. It definitely looks funny, and it may not feed. BUT, if I turn the seating die in (down) by 1/4 turn, until I'm back to about a thumbnail's thickness of shoulder above the case mouth, my O.A.L. will usually be very close to or inside the 1.240" - 1.255" range.
    You can get away with some good-sized differences in seating depths (therefore, internal volumes) among different bullets in .45 ACP, because you have a large volume to begin with, and the working pressures of the round are fairly low (8,800 p.s.i. to 19,000 p.s.i.). With higher-pressure rounds and their small case volumes (9mm or .38 Super, for example), Very small changes in either can put you in a pressure range well above the SAAMI max for that rounds. One can APPROXIMATE the RELATIVE change in pressure (from decreased volume and increased propellant charge), using the ideal gas equation. The calculation won't give you actual chamber pressure specs, but it will demonstrate the likely ratio between them as internal volume decreases and powder charges rise.
    Some years ago, a Speer Manual mentioned a 9mm load that gave an average chamber pressure of 29,000 p.s.i., at a certain O.A.L. THEN the projectile was seated 0.010" (I think?) deeper and chamber pressure jumped to like 52,000 (or 62,000?) p.s.i.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Correct OAL for most TC 225-230s is more in the range of 1.200-1.220.” Longer OALs will prevent chambering in most guns. Keep in mind seating depth variations mentioned if bullet type and OAL is not specified in the data.

Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I agree with others saying to investigate COAL to fit your specific gun, then figure your starting charge. I'd probably use the charge for 230gr...but if you have to seat deeply, then drop the charge down a bit. I like Red Dot for "plinking" charges.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I agree with the others start with your 230 grain min load data. And the work it out from thier.

I expect you to see very good results pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 3rd edition Cast Manual 45ACP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2C79FFF-68CC-42DB-8541-7140C11423D1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	268772

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

It is probably out of style by now but I used to load 7gr Unique under that bullet. I made them the same OAL as Military Hard Ball...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    4.5 gr of Bullseye is a good load to start with. Working up to 5 gr of Bullseye, will get you close to factory duplication of the 230 gr loadings. Bullseye is one of the best powders for this cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    I run 45acp 225 TC behind 5.8gr CFE pistol in my 1911 pistols we the coal of 1.200 it shoots accurate and has never jammed in any of my pistols.

Boolit Mold
    Lyman 49 actually has the 452374 at 225gr OAL 1.272”. But I don’t always go by stated oal much, hardly ever. I take my barrel out if it falls in and then out, with a twist. I’m good to go. That’s me not saying anyone else should

Boolit Buddy
    Before you load a bunch & taper crimp or use Lee FCD make sure they work in the mag by loading 5 RDS.
    Don't ask how I know.
    I use for either the cast 225TC or 230 RN over 5.6gr of Win 231. Works for me but consult a manual.
    Bob

5 grains of Bullseye. You’re welcome.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy

Just ran a bunch of 230 grain LRN loads through my 45ACP 1911 last weekend. The winner was 5.5 grains of Unique. One ragged hole at 7 yards that was 0.497” C-C. Five shots, Winchester pistol primers, Federal brass and 1.267” COAL. That load beat out Trail Boss, Bullseye and WW231.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan