Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25/20 contender

Boolit Buddy

25/20 contender

I finally got a 25-20 contender barrel. A fellow on another forum offered for sale what he described as a like new 22" Bullberry barrel. His offer also included Lyman dies, 80 pieces of mostly never fired brass and a Pachmayr forend. The package arrived today. Aside from the fact that my TC forends won't work on this barrel, I am very pleased. The barrel indeed looks new and the Pachmayr forend appears to work. I plan to reload for it this weekend and hopefully shoot it next week. I only have Speer 87 gr. jacketed bullets on hand at the moment. Going to try either IMR 4198 or Lil'Gun. Anyone have a pet load suggestion for 87 gr. jacketed bullets?

Boolit Grand Master
    I never shot any jacketed through my single shot Husqvarna, only Lyman 258420.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I am not a caster. I placed an order with GT Bullets, but is going to be awhile before I get them.

Boolit Master

OMG, you are a lucky human! I have wanted my own 25/20, about a year ago I sold off my brass because I could not find an old Winchester. I would have beat you to that one if I could have found it first! I think 4198 might be a good option or maybe (check books), maybe 4227.

Not a great pic but maybe this will help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2, a marlin cl and a mgm contender barrel. I have had my best luck with 1680, which is very close to 4198. tried lilgun and 2400. am using the Remington bullet, and also a 75 vmax hor. and of course the 257-420 cast. all have worked good with this powder. the vmax shoots best of all.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Panhed65, I have had no luck at the moment finding the 75 gr. vmax in stock locally or on line. How long an OAL are you using when you use that bullet in your MGM barrel?

Boolit Grand Master
    Midsouth shows the 75 vmax in stock

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you!

The .25-20 is one of my all time favorite cartridges. I tend toward cast bullets and AA#9 nowadays, but there was a time when a lot of woodchucks succumbed to an 85 grain jacketed over 11.5 grains of 4227. Lil'Gun is almost the same speed, so I'd say start with 9.5 grains and work up. 2400 and #9 are IMHO best for cast bullets.

I eventually quit using the .25-20 because back then there weren't any thin-skinned bullets available, and those that I could get tended to ricochet off hard ground. Knowing that there's now a V-Max bullet available I'd reconsider.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Panhed65, I have had no luck at the moment finding the 75 gr. vmax in stock locally or on line. How long an OAL are you using when you use that bullet in your MGM barrel?
    right now I am at 1.85, have not tried changing oal much yet as this shoots well enough for what I am shooting with it. my barrel was throated for the 257-420. just got 2 more boxes of the vmax from cabelas of all places, but have seen them at other places. my one local shop also has some, old stock from a while ago, may go back and get some more from him.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master
    Lil’Gun, IMR 4198 or 1680 are all fine.

In my OTT barreled 25-20 Contender the 75 V Max shoots better than any other bullet averaging between 0.20 to 0.35 inch at fifty yards. As in bugholes. 2100 fps or a bit higher, which is in excess of the SAAMI spec but below the 40,000 allowed the 218 Bee does best, keeping in mind my barrel is 1-10 twist.

Come over to the Marlinowners forum reloading section. We have a sticky on the caliber that will bury you in information.

Boolit Grand Master
    Using the jacketed bullet data posted from the Lyman 45th I got notably higher velocities than they did in my 22 inch barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. I placed an order for 75 gr. V-max bullets with Midsouth this morning. 35remington, what OAL are you using with the V-max?

Boolit Master
    MGM barrel from Edstc carbine barrel on a Contender here.

Mine also likes the V-Max 75 gr and Lil ‘Gun. I do not have the OAL dimension at hand but I typically seat 15-20 thou off the lands with smaller bullets.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Tejano, I sent you a PM with some load data. As far as I know it is unpublished. It's for VV N340 powder.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.

I have a .25-20 Contender Carbine barrel hanging in my safe, I bought it a few years back and have shot exactly 100 rounds of factory Remington ammo in it. I may have to put it back in service now that I have managed to find a few more primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 30 rounds today using the 75 gr. Vmax with Lil’Gun and VV N340 on the recommendation of fellow members. Hoping for good shooting later this week.
    Last edited by tejano; 10-19-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast