Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersPBcastcoLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primer Tool

Boolit Grand Master
    JimB, when I was trying to reconstruct my S&W loading tool set in 32 S&W, I bought a crab mallet from Bed, Bath and Beyond and got the Lee depriming punch and base, and I was good for popping out old primers, and that would work for your 223 and 38 as well. If you can scrounge up one of the 1st Generation priming tools with the small punch and the two shell holders and you’d be good to go.

If OTOH I were going to completely reload in the field, a 310 tool with both sets of dies would be the most compact complete package I can envision. That’s another level of course and I don’t know what your endgame is.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Thanks again Froggie, I’m going to buy a full set of the 310 tool and dies for 38spcl and see how I like it.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    RCBS Universal hand primer, I have two, one set for large, one set for small. No more swapping parts.

Hand operated, no shell holders needed, no fuss swapping calibers as long as they are the same size primers.
    They are not cheap, spent over 60$ for my first, a bit less for the second one well used.

A smear of Imp sizing wax on the main push rod keeps them working smooth and easy.

I had an older friend, long time reloader look at a 100 round box of my ammo and he was seriously puzzled.
    "I've never seen that many rounds primed so consistently perfect. No high ones, no low ones. They are all exactly the same and all perfect"

So my next trip I took it along to show him, let him prime up some 9mm brass.

He was impressed. And he's a hard guy to impress.

Love mine, would never change to anything else.

I love mine too. Can prime a 100 cases in 5 minutes with it.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I used one of the old round Lee tools. It worked well. Lost it in a move. When replacing it with another round try tool it didn't seem as smooth.
    Now I'm a bit older and Artie has visited my hands, my thumb gets tired and ache.
    I got one of the new Ergo prime tools. You pull the lever with your fingers instead of pushing with your thumb. This one is better. It has the new square trays with the primer lifter. Have to be sure the primers slide down the chute all the way or it jams when you lift the primer. Worse with the small primers, lighter so gravity wont help as much.
    I reada few good reviews on the Bench prime, so I got one. With it mounted on my piece of oak board and solidly clamped to the bench it has issues very much like the Ergo prime. After some fooling around I found that just sitting it on the bench and letting the handle pop up by the spring tension it would joggle the primers enough to fix the feed issues.
    When I first started out I had a Rock Chucker press and used the on press priming tool. Filling the tubes took time and if not very careful they would spill. Never liked it. That's why I got the first Lee hand prime tool.
    I'm happy with my Lee bench prime. It took a bit of fooling to figure out it's quirks but once that was done every thing is great. Then again most everything is that way. You have to learn how it likes to operate.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    JimB, please feel free to PM me if you want a little e-mentoring. I’ve been flirting with the 310/TruLine system since some time back in the early ‘70s so I’ve probably made all the mistakes you will want to avoid. Be sure and give me your e-mail address if you wanted extended communications. Always happy to explain all I can.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I'm not the biggest 310 tool fan but it certainly is excellent to use for priming, esp. in front of the TV.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I'm not the biggest 310 tool fan but it certainly is excellent to use for priming, esp. in front of the TV.

Way back when I was starting reloading, one of my first mentors was a strong proponent of using the 310 tool for priming. AFAIK, that was all he did with the 310 in his reloading routine, but he really liked that priming technique with its precise “feel.” I later found that for me personally other priming tools mentioned in this thread worked better. For sitting in my easy chair watching TV and batch-priming cases, I’ve moved toward the 1st Gen Lee priming tool since those cases will have already been cleaned and deprimed. For situations where I’m both depriming and repriming on the bench at the range, I now prefer a single tool that does both... the “Pope style” or others that work in similar fashion get my vote.

Field reloading, as JimB and I discussed is yet another scenario... I’m not equivocating here, rather I’m looking at the best strategy (for me) to do specific styles of reloading. I see a place for everything from Lee “Whack-a-Mole” sets to Star and Dillon progressives... I have and use them all.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    JimB, please feel free to PM me if you want a little e-mentoring. I’ve been flirting with the 310/TruLine system since some time back in the early ‘70s so I’ve probably made all the mistakes you will want to avoid. Be sure and give me your e-mail address if you wanted extended communications. Always happy to explain all I can.

Froggie
    Thanks, I’ll reach out, probably next week.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Thanks, I’ll reach out, probably next week.
    I’ll be looking forward to it, Jim. In many cases these threads get too convoluted to convey necessarily specific information. When we have a one to one exchange, we can get down to individual circumstances and I will gladly share what has worked for me and pitfalls I’ve learned to avoid.

Best regards,
    Froggie

Okay, wear and tear on my old round tray Lee Auto-Prime now makes it impossible to push primers fully into the pockets of brass.

Faced with replacing the device I find that the push rod currently available won't fit my older style tool. Guess I'm going with the triangular folding tray version from Lee.

Before I buy, my question to you experts is: do any of the other hand priming tools use the Lee shell holders or is that limited to Lee products alone?
    S - Submarine
    Q - Qualified
    U - Until
    I - I
    D - Die

Retired = every day feels like Saturday EXCEPT Saturday

Boolit Master

Wonder if Lee would do a "Special Build/Special Buy" for those of us who look fondly at the "Old Round Primer Tool"? Mine are all about done-in; the metal piece has failed where the thumb "Lever" and rounded bottom driver meet. Loss of old friends is a result.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the advent of better and better 3D printing materials. Maybe some enterprising soul could come up with a replacement piece?

Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    With the advent of better and better 3D printing materials. Maybe some enterprising soul could come up with a replacement piece?

Froggie
    Problem is the Pot Metal hand part; and the rotating Pot Metal piece and the Thumb piece over time give out. Not sure what materials could be 3d Printed with sufficient strength to work on these parts - until we can 3d Print steel and other such metals and have them retain strength.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Are you talking about these old things? Also have 7 of the older single prime tools and 2 bags of the screw in shell holders. Hoarder or collector? Have no clue. 😆 🤣
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

And, of course...
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Are you talking about these old things? Also have 7 of the older single prime tools and 2 bags of the screw in shell holders. Hoarder or collector? Have no clue. �� ��
    I’d say a not-so-humble brag. Yes, it’s the first generation of Auto Prime tools (round reservoir) that seems to have caught the most attention around here, but the original type with screw in shell holders are the ones I like the most. I too have several of them scattered around, devoted to various calibers I load for, and a few for spares along with almost a complete set of shell holders. I’m always on the lookout for any of the holders I still lack though, and am not above buying yet another tool if the price is right.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    PS If you use them all you aren’t a hoarder... how many spares makes you a hoarder is open to debate!

Boolit Master

Didn't intend it as a boast, more of an admission of weakness. I look on several selling sites and just stumble on things. Like I just posted on the 310 exchange thread there is a 25-35 priming chamber and depiming die. Doesn't look like anyone realizes its there. $20.00. Ends at 7:45 EDST today. My hand shook so bad-- I don't need another caliber. Finally overcame the temptation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Didn't intend it as a boast, more of an admission of weakness. I look on several selling sites and just stumble on things. Like I just posted on the 310 exchange thread there is a 25-35 priming chamber and depiming die. Doesn't look like anyone realizes its there. $20.00. Ends at 7:45 EDST today. My hand shook so bad-- I don't need another caliber. Finally overcame the temptation.
    Should have included a It sounds like you’re my kinda guy! BTW, is the depriming die you found universal or specific to the 25-35? Of course the PC is also useful for 30-30, 32-40, and a couple of others. I have a couple of those myself. Lately I’ve been sorting my hoard and finding that I’ve bought duplicates of things I “just couldn’t do without” then put both of them away and lost them so I had to buy another one when I needed it!

Froggie

Boolit Master

I can't tell whether its universal or not. BTW, the dilemma you find yourself in from time to time is like my "This is Your Life!" from the 1950s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast