Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Locking mold handles?

Boolit Master

Locking mold handles?

My hands are not functioning as they should. I think I remember one or two different mold handle brands?? that would lock down mold blocks before pouring lead,

If such mold handles are currently made, of your own knowledge and experience, do the handles work? Do handles make for more consistent bullet making? If you believe these handles might make my semiannual casting sessions easier for me, please furnish contact information for whomever makes them.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

Cabin Tree used to make those.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I have a set of Cabine Tree handles. They no longer make them as that part of the business was sold to ST Machining. You can purchase them here: http://cowboybullets.com/Mould-Handle_p_56.html

I’ve found these handles likes to beat the blocks up pretty good, especially aluminum. There’s a lot of play on the sides which leads to the alignment pins being misaligned. Since steel is harder than aluminum or brass the steel wins. Placing the mold on a flat surface when closing prevents this. And so does taking your time when closing. But both add more time.

Biggest negative for me is is weight. They weigh considerably more than a regular set of handles. Combine the handles w/ a brass mold and your arm is getting a workout. It’s the main reason I rarely use them.

I’ve found no consistency increase or decrease when using them. When I first got them I ran a batch w/ and w/out them and plotted a bell curve. Everything was w/in margin of error.

If your hands hurt from holding the blocks closed they will help. But it’s a trade off due to the increased weight.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several sets of them and rally like them for my BPCR bullets. Ill get into my procedure later in the post to explain. I do find bullets cast with them more consistent and they cast faster for me. When get the shop up and running I may make a few more sets. They are more pricey than standard handles. Mine were around $75.00 when I bought them years ago.

Now for how I cast.
    I cast with 2 moulds in tandem. with the locking handles I dont have to wait for cast to solidify before setting it aside since the mould stays closed with the same tension. Alot of my moulds are brass old west made so this is a big plus in itself. I cut the sprue and I have found ussually "snapping" the handles open over the pad is enough to drop the bullets. I do have a piece of 3/4" X 3/4" X 8" sitting v up. I sit the blocks on this to pre alighn them when closing them It helps a lot here. It dosnt add any real time but aligns the blocks in one plane when closing.

Normally when I make a run of bullets I cast for 3-4 hours and end up with around 500 bullets. These range in weight from 360 grns to 550 grns ( 38 cal to 45 cal) I first sort for visual defects, not many there. ANd the rest most fall into 1/2 GRN +/-. But my moulds are all custom old west, brooks or converted to nose pour.

I think the big plus is being able to set them down before the casts have solidified. But like them for the other reasons also.

Banned
    Naphtali when my hand gets tired I lightly tap the side of the mold handle with a small leather mallet to ensure the mold is closed.

using smaller or aluminum molds help and having something to set the molds on also helps.

I recently emptied a pot using an Ideal 4 cavity, 220 grain, nut cracker style mold --- wouldn't want to do that too often.

Boolit Master
    Their time came and went, heavy, harder work for your hands because of the weight and extra step to separate halves.

Boolit Master

About 5yrs ago I cast 2,000 #454190's using an old Ideal with nutcracker handles.
    I think that's what finally killed my hands. Haven't been the same Since.

But those are beautiful bullets.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Great Stuff! guys. What I needed to know, clearly and cogently presented.

Many thanks.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

I have a odd mold. It looks just like a Hoch nose pour mold but it is at least twice as large. It casts a 458 bullet. I got it only because I had never seen anything like it. No existing handles are anywhere near large enough to fit it plus Hoch style molds need an extra cut on one side to clear the hinge bolt connecting the top & bottom plates. Problem solved with a very large set of welding vise grips. Just had to drill the tips for the handle bolts. When adjusted, they lock & release easily & are no more cost than Lee handles.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Why not just get the proper Hoch handles?

Boolit Master

These mold blocks are at least twice as wide and high as Hoch blocks. No way will Hoch handles fit. Not even close. I probably will never cast very much with it but I wanted to be able to. The welders vise grip was a good and inexpensive solution.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu