MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Swiss Model 1889 Schmidt-Ruben measuerments?

Boolit Bub

Swiss Model 1889 Schmidt-Ruben measuerments?

I’ve got a quick question for the Swiss experts. I’ve got the chance to pick up an 1889 S-R that was sporterized (the usual 1960’s surplus treatment - cut the stock and (maybe) the barrel). I already load cast in an older, sported K-31 and I know there are some pressure and (depending on what data you look at) some dimensional differences between the GP90 and GP11 loads, but I love the straight pulls and am thinking of grabbing this one up. On the other hand, it is a homely looking action...

If anyone here has an 1889 sitting in the safe, could you do me a favor and measure the actual length of the action? I’m trying to wrap my head around what I could actually do to make it “sportier” or if I want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find an uncut stock. Knowing just how much action there is, and how that might balance, would help a little. Thee seller is out of town this week, so I can’t just pop in and fondle the rifle myself.

Actually, anyone got any first hand experience loading the 7.5X53.5 cartridge? Are there any pros and cons to it outside of the usual things? And can anyone verify what the bore dimensions actually are on these? I’ve seen everything from .304/.311 to .308/.321. i appreciate it

Thanks!

Boolit Man
    At fist take a look at http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/index.html#7.5 remebember that you can't shoot regular K31 ammo in this venerable weak action. GP90 cases are easily obtenible from standard 7,5. The problem are bullets, patched or not? heeled or not? Slug your throat and check collet area. Usually collet is bigger than necessary cause paper patching. Anyway is matter of error and try.

Boolit Master
    I measured mine and the receiver is 9.25 inches long. If it has been sporterized, make sure of the caliber, as I remember seeing old adds selling those rifles in another caliber, maybe 30-30 ? Not sure how they would have done that with the original barrel, not enough barrel shank length to set it back, so they might have sleeved the chamber. I have never seen one ,so I am only speculating here.

As to reloading, I have just used full length new brass, neck sized. You might have to trim your brass to the proper length if you use the original .321 paper patch bullet ( don't know what would be an appropriate modern equivalent), but a .311 bullet worked in my long brass just fine. My chamber cast shows a huge funnel like throat (.338) and the neck is .352 dia. I shot a very nice group with it using Alliant RL-10 and either a .311299 or .311284 , seated out very long, too get closer to the rifling.

Later this winter I intend to scope one of these rifles, and do some more experimenting on loads, as I believe they can be made to shoot with great precision,just need to stumble on to the right bullet and load.

Boolit Bub
    Atur44 - I’ve seen the differences in both the size of the cartridges and the performance, but it’s a good reminder that the GP90 and GP11 rounds are functionally different (and there are minor differences within the GP90 loading, to some degree). You’re absolutely correct that touching off a GP11 in an 1889 is a terrible idea. As it stands, the most accurate load in the sported K31 I own is actually 16 gr. Of 2400 under the 155 gr. Lee, even though “it’s not supposed to fit.” Bear in mind, this gun was heavily sporterized (but still has the issue barrel) - a decent chunk of Claro, a sling rail inletted under the forend, and an early John Wilkes micrometer mounted on it with a Anschutz adjustable iris peep. The front sight sure looks like the old “Mojo” front replacement sight they sold for a while. It shoots lights out with GP11, but it’s even more fun clanging away at the gong offhand with cast.

Gewehr-Guy, thanks for the measurements - that’s a lot of action, but from what I remember, the guns balance far better than they look like they should. In the sketchy research I have been able to find and the multiple bore diameters I’ve seen referenced, it’s almost as if the Swiss continued to tweak and change their standards on bore dimensions as technology changed (1891 Argentines seem to be like that - my 1891/92 built gun is slugs .311, but later issued guns all seem to have far larger bores that have been well-documented on this sight and others. It’s an idea... ?) We might never know, because the men who made those decisions have been dead a long time and we can only take educated guesses on what actually happened.

Nonetheless, if I end up buying it, we’ll figure out what to do with it and I’ll try to document what I can about that one particular rifle.

I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge!

Boolit Master
    I use full length 7.5x55 PPU brass and the 200gn Lyman 314299 bullet, gas checked to .312 with a COAL of 3.059 for my 1889.
    I neck size with a 31 long Lyman M die.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master

i had one once. It was the .304" bore. I was much younger and more ignorant. I shot the .308". Accuracy was horrible and it really hurt. Sold it off. Years later learned they were NOT .308".

Boolit Grand Master
    I use to shoot mine a lots before.
    I did notice the shoulder on the 1889 is much steeper on mine.
    Neck size only, so not a problem.
    I leave the shells long, as the 1889 has a long throat.
    Mines likes .310/200gr.
    I used to get lots of people asking what that long, strange looking, strange bolt action, rifle was.
    I used to take my K31, 96/11 and the 1889 out at the same time.
    Good to show the three different lengths of the bolt.
    Always look for a chance to ed-ja-ma-cate the public.

Boolit Bub
    Just a quick update - I had the chance to look this rifle over and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. The stock work (sporterizing, sort of... I guess...) was rough, and whomever had done the work had left - in my opinion, too little to work with. That and the seller equated - as too many do these days - “rare” with “valuable.”

I really appreciate you guys sharing your experience and expertise.