MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: The Kinds of people that we have here

The Kinds of people that we have here

I have to say that we have a great site here.
    Why? Let me give you two examples:
    1) A fellow caster/Hensley & Gibbs collector had been posting here for probably two years that he was looking for an H&G #258 41 mag mould. I found a mint 6 cavity #258 one (I bought it by the way - I couldn't help myself), I let him know, but he was really stuck on a 4 cavity. I kept cheering him on in his quest and to not give up. So another year goes by, continues to post looking for the #258, and I saw one pop up on GB and let him know. I cheered him on to buy it regardless of price (with in reason of course). He jumped in the bidding blasted to the high bid, and we watched the mould for days like a couple of expectant fathers. He got the mould. High fives all around.
    2) I posted that I was looking for an H&G 2 cavity sprue plate. Someone answered that he had a friend that had made a few and that he could do more. He told me to be patient and it would happen. I got an email that it was done. Cost? $8 in stamps. How great is that?
    These are the kinds of people that we have on this site. I have only known two people personally that frequent this site.
    I have been a member here for 15 years and have had many similar examples of the generosity, kindness and helpfulness of our members.
    Keep up the good work people!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I'm a deplorable!

Cause I'm from Texas.

ACC

Boolit Master

Under the common banner of lead-alloy smelting and in particular lead and lead-alloy boolit casting and shooting, every one of us has found our way to this site. Knowledge is power. Reinventing the wheel is insane. The accepted definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Those with investigative and inquisitive minds have collected and shared their experiences here, on these forums and topics, so that others would not starve in the frustration of discovery.

Some here are very kind and generous (as you point out). Most are open and sharing. Newbies are the breath of fresh air seeking the knowledge we have gained, as we - in turn - help them along this way as we were helped when we arrived. And the "gotta-have-it-now", who ask the questions which have been answered so many-many times, keep us refreshing the library of common knowledge in providing them answers while encouraging them to self indulge and dig a little deeper, rather than be spoon fed.

It's all good. I'm OK. You're OK. Together, we're better writing to one another, at the expense of inconveniencing a few electrons.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I tell everyone about this place because it is so different from other forums. Never before have I found a place so devoid of know it all *******s. There are none. Everyone is helpful and willing to provide guidance.

I would consider the reading I have done here for the last 5 years the equivalent of a masters degree in casting/loading.

But as noted above the real draw is the other people who hang out here. You ALL are a great bunch of people and it has been my privilege to hang out with you and get to know a few of you.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

100% agreement here. So much knowledge to reap here and great folks sharing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Boolit casters are a pretty rare breed. Mostly, to get to the level of reloading, where you are casting projectiles is pretty impressive. That takes a certain type of person. Since each one of us is rare, we value each other...so it makes for some special comradery, and plenty of generosity. I've met several CB members FTF, over the years, and I don't travel much, so that's saying something. Each meeting and/or each deal has been top notch, better than any deals/swaps I've had with the anyone else that is part of another group of people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My significant other calls my casting and reloading "man knitting".
    She really does have a point.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

As said, boolit casting is a rare breed. I don't think anyone of us has seen it all. I started casting at 16. I still run into issues that I need help with. Some little something goes wrong. I either find the answer here or from my buddy, a fellow caster. People here are very generous and helpful. I've tried to help people out when I can. I like the "Helping Hands" and Pay it Forward" sections. Kinda shows a mindset of the administrators and people.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Cast Boolits Owner

It is the members who make this place amazing!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I would consider the reading I have done here for the last 5 years the equivalent of a masters degree in casting/loading.

But as noted above the real draw is the other people who hang out here. You ALL are a great bunch of people and it has been my privilege to hang out with you and get to know a few of you.

Well said. I agree.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

I appreciate the heads-up on that mold, my Friend! You are correct about the members on this site. Lots of good guys with a lot of knowledge to share. Every great once-in-a-while someone comes across as grumpy but its very rare. I have met a few of the members here and and consider many others that I have not met to be friends.

Boolit Master
    preservation of esoteric knowledge is important in any larger culture. this subject might interest a tenth of a percent of Americans, but is still knowledge that has an intrinsic utilitarian value, for sure.

The thing I appreciate most about this site is not just the casting and shooting /gun related knowledge that the members have but also the broad spectrum of wisdom and knowledge of just about any topic or field you can imagine be it auto repair , electronics , computer you name it and a few members at least have done it and can help out . Truly a wealth of knowledge and experience
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!