Thread: Visual of ooooold powder

Visual of ooooold powder

Started with this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 gauge head.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	268647
    I buffed up the head so I could take a picture.

Profile of hull:

Name:	20 gauge hull.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	268648

And powder:

Name:	20 gauge flame.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	268649

Was gifted a tin tool box with ~ 8 lbs. of assorted cartridges/shells. Everything from 45 Colt to 7.7 Jap to 12 gauge buckshot loads.

I took what looked like the worst 20 gauge and cut it open and put a match to the powder, lost the hair on my knuckles trying to take the photo

Next time I'm on the skeet field, I'll try the primer out to see if it goes BOOM.

Pretty good for a hull that I think was fully submerged. The guy who gave me the box said he didn't think it had been opened in over 30 years. I think he is underestimating the time. He's 82 and time is starting to escape him.

Guess powder kept in original canisters and dry stable conditions may be still useable

And no, I wouldn't try shooting these in a gun. Even a gun that belongs to someone that I really dislike.

I mean, really, really, really dislike.

Nope, not that bad a person. Well most of the time.

Boolit Master

I bet the primer will pop.

I have waxed paper hull shells that are olllllddd and look like they were made yesterday. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot them or hunt with them. They are high brass 6s I believe.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    15meter, i was just gifted about 45lbs of shotgun shells to break down. Some if mine look like that. Thanks fir the pics. Todd

Boolit Master
    I remember when I was about 11 or 12 me and cousin found great papaws old rifle, what I know now was an old scheutzen Ballard in 32-40, and a can with tarnished old cartridges that had been stored away for probably at least 50 years. we were a bit scared of it and grandmother had something agains guns. so it was our secret. we first tried firing some primers taking a hack saw to some shells and cutting them in half and firing them in the gun. they went bang. well we finally got up our nerve one summer day when no one was home and sure enough those old corroded cartridges all went bang.

Boolit Master

Many (50+) years ago, dad found a paper hull buckshot load that was swelled slightly. He decided to see if it would fire. It did. Bloop, not very loud and the shot went 20 to 30 feet.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Finally got to the bottom of the weird/water logged batch of brass/loaded rounds/just ugliness. Should have take a picture before I start the rescue mission.

But I found this can of percussion caps:

Attachment 270483

Battle to get it open, the primers were pristine, set one on the anvil of the vise and whacked it with a hammer.

Glad I put my safety glasses on, just wish I would have put in my ear plugs.

Guess even old caps don't go bad unless you really, really, really, and I mean REALLY abuse them.

I've deleted this post twice, it refused to stay deleted, must be too close to the full moon plus Halloween.

IT'S ALIVE!

Finally got to the bottom of the weird/water logged batch of brass/loaded rounds/just ugliness. Should have taken a picture before I start the rescue mission.

But I found this can of percussion caps:

Attachment 270483

Battle to get it open, the primers were pristine, set one on the anvil of the vise and whacked it with a hammer.

Glad I put my safety glasses on, just wish I would have put in my ear plugs.

Guess even old caps don't go bad unless you really, really, really, and I mean REALLY abuse them.
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-01-2020 at 07:29 PM.

I once fired an old 12ga shot shell at a buck. The hammer fell and nothing happened until I began lowering the gun. Sure, the shell fired just fine but not while it was pointing in the right direction. Lost the buck because of that. Never tried an old shot shell again.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Neat, thanks for sharing. Got an idea how old the caps are?