Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of bucks on the hit list

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Outstanding BT! Out of a tree or a ground blind?
    This one was out of a ground blind put out the day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

For the last 3 years I've had a buck in mind I was after. I would see him, or get pictures of him for months before the season. Then all 3 years they would disappear late October for the start of the rut. This year has been different. I've not seen anything nice, and the best picture I have is a of a young 6 point buck. The last time this happened a giant buck made his way onto our land during the rut. We saw him twice, the first weekend. The second weekend I spotted him near our gravel pit around noon. I walked in with my shotgun, a chair, and a bottle of doe pee. I poured the pee all over a log, some on my clothes, and hung the bottle in the tree. 15 minutes later the buck came right in, and I shot him. That was the biggest buck I ever shot, 11 points, measured out to 130". The deer was old, and even had a crooked leg where it had been hit by a car in the past.

Fingers crossed that's what happens this year. I'm sick of all the fine deer walking off the property, it's about time I get my chance again. That's where bow hunters really get an advantage. Deer this time of year are very predictable.

Nice shooting.

Banned

Amazes me the size of the hole a broadhead cuts

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Amazes me the size of the hole a broadhead cuts
    Oh, I have a photo album full. What do you think about this one?

Really a nice deer...congrats.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1266.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	269090

Arrowed this rather large 10 point, on Wednesday, off my acreage. I had seen a 5,6,7,8,and a 9 point on my field cams.....didn't know about this one.

Winelover

Shot this doe yesterday. Putting the bow up for the rest of the year. Waiting on gun season now.

So when is the BBQ??? I'll need about 3 days lead time to get there on time.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Hey BT what part of TX you in?

I come out there every Jan to do some duck, hog/deer hunting and trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet225ho View Post
    Hey BT what part of TX you in?

I come out there every Jan to do some duck, hog/deer hunting and trapping.
    I知 in Fort Worth. Where you hunt at?

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't Texas import northern Whitetails to improve the genetics? Those are some nice deer, do they run during the day or do they go nocturnal
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    For the last 3 years I've had a buck in mind I was after. I would see him, or get pictures of him for months before the season. Then all 3 years they would disappear late October for the start of the rut. This year has been different. I've not seen anything nice, and the best picture I have is a of a young 6 point buck. The last time this happened a giant buck made his way onto our land during the rut. We saw him twice, the first weekend. The second weekend I spotted him near our gravel pit around noon. I walked in with my shotgun, a chair, and a bottle of doe pee. I poured the pee all over a log, some on my clothes, and hung the bottle in the tree. 15 minutes later the buck came right in, and I shot him. That was the biggest buck I ever shot, 11 points, measured out to 130". The deer was old, and even had a crooked leg where it had been hit by a car in the past.

Fingers crossed that's what happens this year. I'm sick of all the fine deer walking off the property, it's about time I get my chance again. That's where bow hunters really get an advantage. Deer this time of year are very predictable.

Nice shooting.
    Dude! You poured doe urine on yourself to bag a buck? That dedication makes you a hero in my book
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

It has happened. Just yesterday this buck stepped onto the property for the first time. Tracks again today, but no pictures. I'm not seeing a ton of rutting activity yet, this guy rubbed the heck out of half a dozen trees on this trail. Come Saturday I'll be sitting in the stand over that trail, with plenty of doe pee hanging in tampons.

@jonp, if pouring a little pee on my clothes for a big deer impresses you, you would loose your mind on some of the things I've done for a single duck.

Look at the gut on this guy. He's been eating good for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes over 250 pounds.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 11-01-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is an average size 175ish pound doe for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It has happened. Just yesterday this buck stepped onto the property for the first time. Tracks again today, but no pictures. I'm not seeing a ton of rutting activity yet, this guy rubbed the heck out of half a dozen trees on this trail. Come Saturday I'll be sitting in the stand over that trail, with plenty of doe pee hanging in tampons.

@jonp, if pouring a little pee on my clothes for a big deer impresses you, you would loose your mind on some of the things I've done for a single duck.

Look at the gut on this guy. He's been eating good for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes over 250 pounds.

Look at the neck on that dude! He's pumped. Looks like Bullwinkle.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Minnesota may not be as well known as some like Wisconsin or Iowa, although we often top charts for B&C and P&Y bucks. I honestly believe though that we put out some of the physically largest whitetail's in the nation. This pictured buck is out in west central MN, not really a big antler area. That buck is most certainly top dog on our farm. They don't get bigger than that.

Banned

I have always been jealous of the hunting seasons in the south. Iowa sucks unless you are a bow hunter. But they have killed off so many deer here in Iowa with the liberal tags they sold to cut the population. They had like 2K extra doe permits a few times just here in my county. There were counties that had 3X that in the past few years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I have always been jealous of the hunting seasons in the south. Iowa sucks unless you are a bow hunter. But they have killed off so many deer here in Iowa with the liberal tags they sold to cut the population. They had like 2K extra doe permits a few times just here in my county. There were counties that had 3X that in the past few years.
    MN's not so different. If you want big antlers you are generally looking at the SE area, bordering WI, Camp Ripley, or oddly enough, Ottertail county. I wish we would increase our doe tags. Our deer population is out of control. Less deer, and letting the bucks get older would go a long ways to antlers. Of course antlers make horrible soup, so there's two ways of looking at that.

Banned

i don't hunt for antlers anymore. I will probably never shoot a deer bigger than the one on the wall now. 189 3/8" 15pt. I have let so many 150"+ deer walk by it is not even funny.

Attachment 270774

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12