RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Springfield bolt guns

Banned

The new Springfield bolt guns

Has anybody got one or shot one I was thinking about one for my grandson he wants to go north to the U.P. and hunt this year.

Boolit Master

Just read about them last night... They sure do look good and they are Springfield after all. I hope to hear a report from someone soon.

Boolit Master
    MSRP of $2275.00. They sure are proud of them.

Boolit Buddy
    They have a hunting model ?
    All Ive seen were tacticool models.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    MSRP of $2275.00. They sure are proud of them.
    That’s a lot!

They give it a .75 MOA guarantee. That should count for something.

Boolit Master

If one were to start with a custom action and build up a rifle to those specs you would have a least that much in it. Having said that, it still needs optics and maybe a trigger, but the trigger looks to be Remington pattern so that may be easy. Not sure how the action is bedded, but might need that as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    They give it a .75 MOA guarantee. That should count for something.
    I was blown away by the accuracy I was able to easily obtain from a $225 Compass. Lots of people are reporting sub MOA performance from sub $500 rifles, American, Compass, Axis and others. Modern manufacturing has solved the bolt gun accuracy requirements for most hunters. For a hunter, money is better spent on practice ammo, so they can learn to read the wind and shoot from a position other than bench rested. A range finder would be handy as well if one plans on any long range work. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I was blown away by the accuracy I was able to easily obtain from a $225 Compass. Lots of people are reporting sub MOA performance from sub $500 rifles, American, Compass, Axis and others. Modern manufacturing has solved the bolt gun accuracy requirements for most hunters. For a hunter, money is better spent on practice ammo, so they can learn to read the wind and shoot from a position other than bench rested. A range finder would be handy as well if one plans on any long range work. Just my opinion.
    And I own a couple of under $500 rifles that shoot at least .75 MOA or better. Still isn't something you can count on.
    I have sent a lot of rifles down the road because they didn't shoot better than 2 MOA. Some of them cost more than $700.

Boolit Master

Well now, those look...interesting. If you go with a regular barrel and a non-adjustable stock, the MSRP gets down to $1,699. Looks like they are trying for a market niche between the traditional style and the precision, long range types. Not my cup of tea, but then I carry a Steyr Scout, which is in the same price range, so I can't point any fingers.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I remember my mother saying "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Banned

yup my grandsons and grandaughters all got there first deer rifle from me. savage axis's and mossberg atr's. If anyones getting a 2k rifle its me and i cant even justify that for myself. Been hunting the UP all my life and other then crop damage shooting in the fields ive never shot a deer over a 100 yards and an open sighted 3030 would have killed any one of them. both of those cheap rifles ive bought (more then one of each) have shot moa or close to it and are more then capable in good hands of killing deer at 300 yards. personaly id never put a kid even 16 years old where he could shoot over 200 yards because id be afraid he with buck fever he wouldnt watch whats behind that deer. But if you want to spend 2k on a gun for him any chance you want to adopt a 64 year old son!!!!

Not a bad looking rifle, but not something I'd buy. Their site shows a Trigger Tech trigger that I've read good things about, so most likely a person wouldn't have to change that. But, it still hasn't got me dreaming of getting one.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m still a sucker for walnut stocks. I know they have some, but not many. If am going to pay top dollar for a rifle, I’ll want it with a walnut stock. I’ve been window shopping some Sakos.

Banned
    Well the ad I looked at did not include pricing I was figuring in the 400-500 range my G son is 25 so he can shoot and is proficient with a good rifle. I just might let him have one of my Rems in 308 all ready scoped that is a little more than what I had in mind to pay he has been out with me hunting before and has some good memories with the rifle I was thinking about giving him. I know I still have the first rifle my grand dad gave me.

And I thought there were enough ugly overweight bolt action rifles already. I agree with Greg above. 3/4 MOA beautiful looking and handling rifles are from Finland these days. Just my old opinion. Both of my Tikka T3 Hunters will do that when I do my part and they were $600 each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have several rifles similar to the new bolts described. I did all the work on Savage action, trued them and the barrel nut, steel bedded in a A5 wannabe stock , custom triggers, and Shilen or Krieger CBI barrels. Leupold or Burris mtns and rings. All of these rifles will shoot 1/2MOA out to 1100yds, as far as I have to shoot in a couple of places. I have no more than $1000, in any of these guns, not counting the optics. I have 2 in 6.5x284, and one each in 6.5x55 .308, 6XC, .223, .284. All of them have been shot to 1100 yds except the .223, 600 was as far as I have shot it. And as above posted, I have worked over a slew of $500 and under economy rifles with tweaking the triggers and bedding, that are solid 3/4 and under guns with factory ammo. I love all fine rifles, whether walnut an steel, or synthetic long range jobs. I just dont see throwing that kind of money at a rifle, when most of the folks who post on here, can do what I did to a savage action and make them shoot just as good.

Boolit Master
    Why do people spend more money on gun A vs gun B when both shoot the same?

Because one of them has an accuracy guarantee that the others do not.

Boolit Master

Is this going to turn into one of those "This is how little I spend on my firearm and it's just as good as a ______" threads?
    Cue Monty Python and the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

I, personally, have had to sneak down to the nearest hobo jungle to steal a rifle out of a hobo's bedroll. Then I bedded it with chewing gum I scraped off a park bench (which tasted awful, as I re-plasticized it) and used a discarded soda can pull tab from 1972 (given to me by my father) for a trigger. I made a scope out of a toilet paper tube and two busted Coke bottles, and re-crowned the muzzle with a sharp rock. It now shoots quarter-inch groups at 200 yards using surplus Romanian ammo that I barter muskrat pelts for, down at the trading post. It takes two days in a canoe, paddling upstream both ways, to get to the trading post.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 10-05-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: reformatted
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast