Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new Springfield bolt guns

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Is this going to turn into one of those "This is how little I spend on my firearm and it's just as good as a ______" threads?
    Cue Monty Python and the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

I, personally, have had to sneak down to the nearest hobo jungle to steal a rifle out of a hobo's bedroll. Then I bedded it with chewing gum I scraped off a park bench (which tasted awful, as I re-plasticized it) and used a discarded soda can pull tab from 1972 (given to me by my father) for a trigger. I made a scope out of a toilet paper tube and two busted Coke bottles, and re-crowned the muzzle with a sharp rock. It now shoots quarter-inch groups at 200 yards using surplus Romanian ammo that I barter muskrat pelts for, down at the trading post. It takes two days in a canoe, paddling upstream both ways, to get to the trading post.
    Just imagine how accurate it would be if you used Herters brand ammo....
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

And you walked 5 miles to school every day both ways up hill. Steyer

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would be more excited if Springfield rolled out a new 1903A3 like they did with the Garand and M1A.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Haven't bought a rifle in a long time. But checked out the web site when these rifles were mentioned. I realize prices have gone up but wow these are expensive. Whatever they are smoking there I want some. Frank

In a time when MSRP on a brand new Winchester 94 is $1,230, I wouldn’t be scared off by the price as much as by the fact that it’s way more gun (Weight, range, gizmos) than you need to hunt deer in the UP.

Anything you can manage to shoot into 4” at 100 yards from an unsupported, off-hand position is more than enough, because you aren’t likely to get a longer range shot than that at a deer up here.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    WOW!! Gotta say, that's a bundle of lettuce for aa kid. My 4 sons can all do quite well out to 750 yards (max at the normal range we go to) with rifles that cost between $165 (Remington model 7 - 243) to $325 (browning x bolt 300 wsm). I cannot count how many rounds they have shot through each. My 9 year old can hit the 8' gong 15 out of every 20 tries with his 308 - but it's because he's been shooting 1000+ rounds a year out of it since he got it. My 18 year old daughter seemingly performs miracles with her 721 remmy in 270 for the same reason. Long and short - you're not going to buy a rifle that will shoot better than your grandson and expect miracles. But good on ya for getting him going!!

P.S. spend a little on the glass for the rifle - IMHO it's a better investment than the rifle for beginners. YMMV

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m still a sucker for walnut stocks. I know they have some, but not many. If am going to pay top dollar for a rifle, I’ll want it with a walnut stock. I’ve been window shopping some Sakos.
    Yes, only blued steel & walnut stock for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12