MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of that magic handgun boolit

Groo here
    I will give you the magic bullet ,,,,,,, the one your gun likes..........
    not the one YOU like.........
    If you must,, look at the old round nose bullets..,, the ones with the long round nose, and soft.....

Banned
    bad eyes here to. I paint my hand gun sights (that aren't night sights or fiber-optic, good fiber-optic sights really help)

so I can see them better I also found wearing computer/reading glases help me see the sights better (the target is a bit fuzzy)

I spent last year trying to get good groups out of 2 of my (like new, nicely priced 2nd hand) 9mm's got frustrated and took them to a gunsmith who after close examination told me the both the barrels were bad from the factory .

I called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label I sent it in, they tested it and replaced the barrel sent the gun back with a free cleaning cloth.
    ruger now shoots 1" groups at 15 yards off a rest

I called Sig --"We only warrant our guns to the original purchaser" so after deciding to never buy a second hand sig again, I bought a new barrel and proceeded to shoot 1 hole groups (off a rest )

to sum it up, it's not always the load, even new(ish) guns can have bad barrels from the factory [now I know why the prices were so good LOL]

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 45-270-SAA is more accurate than any other boolit that I have found for the Colt’s SAA. This boolit makes my .45’s more accurate than any of my .44 Specials.

The RCBS 45-270-SAA is the most only accurate boolit at 25 yards.

I’ve chased the zero around the bullseye for about 4 decades now with Colt’s SAA’s. I’ve concluded that time at the range is probably more valuable than developing loads.

Lighting is another huge factor. My boolits are most accurate when the sun is high in the sky over my back lighting up the target.

My test powders happen to be Alliant products. Everything from Green Dot, Red Dot, Bullseye, American Select, Unique to Blue Dot and 2400. I’ve consumed several pounds of each with different molds and guns, chasing that elusive tight zero.

I had a .38 cylinder custom cut to .430” without any real improvement in accuracy over the stock .434” cylinder. Dougguy worked his magic on my SBH cylinder and that really tightened up the groups.

I’ve had a Colt’s .357 barrel custom bored to .45. Today I received that barrel back after having the side remarked from .357 Magnum to .45. It is scheduled to have the front sight height increased.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    The RCBS 45-270-SAA is more accurate than any other boolit that I have found for the Colt’s SAA. This boolit makes my .45’s more accurate than any of my .44 Specials.

The RCBS 45-270-SAA is the most only accurate boolit at 25 yards.

I’ve chased the zero around the bullseye for about 4 decades now with Colt’s SAA’s. I’ve concluded that time at the range is probably more valuable than developing loads.

Lighting is another huge factor. My boolits are most accurate when the sun is high in the sky over my back lighting up the target.

My test powders happen to be Alliant products. Everything from Green Dot, Red Dot, Bullseye, American Select, Unique to Blue Dot and 2400. I’ve consumed several pounds of each with different molds and guns, chasing that elusive tight zero.

I had a .38 cylinder custom cut to .430” without any real improvement in accuracy over the stock .434” cylinder. Dougguy worked his magic on my SBH cylinder and that really tightened up the groups.

I’ve had a Colt’s .357 barrel custom bored to .45. Today I received that barrel back after having the side remarked from .357 Magnum to .45. It is scheduled to have the front sight height increased.
    Who did your revolver barrel reboring?

On this subject my thoughts are "find something that works and do that."

Find a load that shoots better than you can, and go shoot something with it.

I have very few guns that I have tried more than one load in. I do some research and find something that looks promising and then go sight the gun in with that. End of testing!

My RGS has seen 100 Factory Loads, and those cases have been reloaded 13 times with 45 gr of 4895 and Recycled M80 Bullets. consistent 7/8" groups, no need to look farther.

.44's all get Keith Boolits or Thompson Boolits and either 6.0 for Specs or 8.0 gr of W 231 for Mid Range Mags, or 22 gr of H110 for Full Mags.

My Marlin Rifle is <2" at 100 yards with Iron Sights. and the Ruger SBH is way better than I can hold with the Mid Range loads and with powder coated boolits there is no leading or cleaning afterwards in any of those guns. It is fun to shoot these guns! At stuff!!!

.45-70 worked up to 33 gr of 5744 for 1.75" at 100 yards with iron sights, acceptable Trajectory to 200 M and no need to go farther. Silhouettes mostly.

.40 S&W 5.4 gr of W231 and .45 ACP 5.7 gr of W231 off the Dillon forever. No need to go farther to poke holes at 5-25 yards or knock down steel . These would also work for HD just like any Factory Load would. No need to go father.

Chasing groups is IMHO pointless. The idea of shooting, is to shoot something. That can be a paper silhouette target, a Steel Target, a Dirt Clod, cans, bottles, or a pig. Whatever,,, just so you can say you shot something.

I will say that I have farted around with shotgun shells alot more than metallic cartridges. They make big holes in targets and are easy to see from the bench.

If you got the magic one hole group,,, did you actually shoot something with it, or do you just have a group? Dirt clods are plentiful and hitting a dirt clod offhand at 200 yards in front of a bunch people will get you more cheers than a group on paper shot off a bench.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Norm Johnson.

Boolit Master
    Chasing groups is IMHO pointless. The idea of shooting, is to shoot something. That can be a paper silhouette target, a Steel Target, a Dirt Clod, cans, bottles, or a pig. Whatever,,, just so you can say you shot something.

I agree. I manufacture ammo I can produce in large quantities.

Boolit Grand Master

Do whatever makes you happy. It’s a hobby. I chase groups with my rifles until I find a great
    Combination and then load a bunch and don’t change unless something happens. If I’m looking for accuracy I’ve had great success with #9 but typically use 231 and 2400 in my revolvers

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I still can't shoot much of a DA group .
    I've shot enough the know that the 45 Colts RBH still throws one chamber and it's not always me .
    I used to think I wasn't much of a pistol shooter , I still don't , but I'm better than a few that really fancy themselves hot shots .

The only handgun challenge I have now is to make companion guns share a load that will hit as well at 75-100 out of the 16-20" barrels as they do at 25 out of 3-1/2-7.5" barrels .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Do whatever makes you happy. It’s a hobby. I chase groups with my rifles until I find a great
    Combination and then load a bunch and don’t change unless something happens. If I’m looking for accuracy I’ve had great success with #9 but typically use 231 and 2400 in my revolvers
    You know, you are exactly right. Different people go the range with different agendas. Some go to shoot to practice to improve their shooting ability (after getting a reasonable accurate load for their guns,) and the reason I said that is I have been accused of saying just use any old load no matter how it shoots, which by the way wasn't true.
    Some like me go to TRY to improve their ability, some just go to blast away ammo with nothing in mind to accomplish, some go to constantly experiment to find that magic load, some go to fellowship and talk about that elusive "magic" bullet or "magic" load and some go to talk more than they shoot. Some go to try to get away from life's problems for a while.. I've even driven the 10 miles to the range to shoot just 7 "SEVEN" rounds for a particular reason.
    So as you said, as long as one is happy that is all that matters. It doesn't matter whether one goes to find that "magic" bullet or "magic" load or whether they can hit a target or even the ground for that matter as long as a person is enjoying themselves that is good.
    If a person isn't enjoying themselves shooting they need to find something to do that does make them happy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Taz, my eyesight in the last few years has caused my groups to go to you know where. There are days that I should not even pick up a pistol, but still do and still enjoy those days. I am extremely nearsighted 20/800 and 20/850, but my eyes will change from day to day and are affected by high ambient light levels. I realize that I will never shoot great groups with open sight handguns again and red dots help a bunch but are not perfect either. The part that sucks... I am only 55. I never have a day that I cannot shoot the CCW target to a pass with a 90% or more score. I think it is muscle memory for me because I really dislike the glock frame angle and could not pass the test on a good day with one. But, with a 1911 grip angle or a S&W revolver there are no issues at all.
    You might wanna try a Merit optical device, or a clone of one. Really helps with open sighted handguns.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Shooting is a skill like any other, us humans learn through repetition. After proper training, practice those skills. Jerry Miculek said; be the first one at the range in the morning and the last to leave in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Shooting is a skill like any other, us humans learn through repetition. After proper training, practice those skills. Jerry Miculek said; be the first one at the range in the morning and the last to leave in the evening.
    I can afford neither the ammunition that would require or the divorce that would certainly follow.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Best answer yet, Doc. Everybody goes to the range and has their own idea of a good time. I shoot off the bench 'cause I'm usually wanting to find out what combination that a gun likes and that's the best way-for me. But hey, it is what I enjoy doing, testing and chronographing. 99% of the targets I post on here were shot off a bench for accuracy purposes and never meant to imply that I am a human machine rest, but for my fun shooting, its the steel swinger. As far as the magic boolit, well every time I think I have that all figured out, along comes a plain old wad cutter that out shoots everything I tried!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

I have very few guns that I have tried more than one load in. I do some research and find something that looks promising and then go sight the gun in with that. End of testing!

<snip>

<snip>

If you got the magic one hole group,,, did you actually shoot something with it, or do you just have a group? Dirt clods are plentiful and hitting a dirt clod offhand at 200 yards in front of a bunch people will get you more cheers than a group on paper shot off a bench.

Randy
    I agree. When I learned to shoot, there was no such thing as a "shooting range" anywhere near. Our range was the outdoors, with shooting distances from point blank to infinity. Targets weren't always stationary, either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

I have very few guns that I have tried more than one load in. I do some research and find something that looks promising and then go sight the gun in with that. End of testing!................

Chasing groups is IMHO pointless. The idea of shooting, is to shoot something. That can be a paper silhouette target, a Steel Target, a Dirt Clod, cans, bottles, or a pig. Whatever,,, just so you can say you shot something...........

If you got the magic one hole group,,, did you actually shoot something with it, or do you just have a group?............

Randy
    Yep, shoot different loads to get smallest groups on targets. Why do I need to shoot at something else? It isn't just a measure of rifle and cartridge capability, it's a measure of how well can I shoot. If the rifle 'shoots better than I do' then I have some work to do

Boolit Master
    I think it is fine for people to shoot what and how they want as long as it is safe.

I don't know for sure but I believe that off hand rifle shots are rare. Most around here hunt from blinds or stands, most have rests. If stalking, I still sit or kneel most of the time. I do practice sitting and kneeling at the range and while nobody comments, almost nobody else does. I at the range I shoot of a rest a lot but then mostly I shoot my bench rest rifles. Centerfire Pistols I shoot the plate rack at 25 yards but that get boring since misses are rare with my better pistols and I don't have a timer. I guess I should get a timer. My .22 target and hunter pistols I shoot offhand at 3" bulls at 25 yards. I still struggle with flyers. I almost always get 9 out of 10 on the 3" bull. Nothing get more comments than my Dan Wesson super mag. in .357 Max. at the rifle range. I get more hits and misses on the plate at 100 yards shooting offhand with iron sights and that is with my .357 mag. plinking ammo. Full house .357 max. loads I miss more often. My plinking ammo is very accurate. Just because it is loaded on a progressive press does not mean it is not as good.

When someone says "one hole group" what do they mean? All the holes touching, with a .45 that could be a 1.5" 5 shot group?

I stopped disputing outrageous claims. I use it to calibrate my opinion of the writer.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    A 'one hole group' could mean anything. I've had 'one hole' targets where the hole is 10". Happens if enough rounds are fired at it. Yes, a .50 cal hole is much larger so a 5 shot one hole group could be quite large compared to a 5 shot .22 cal one hole group.

This discrepancy is why most of us measure group size instead of using the term 'one hole'.

Boolit Master
    Here's a couple I shot today trying out pan lube as opposed to PC. RCBS 250K mold. 7 grains Unique in the 24-3( lower group ) and 9 grains in the Super Blackhawk. 10 yards offhand. A bit flinchy today. Mediocre groups but fun none the less.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16019344659404898355396661637660.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	268888
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Any leading?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast