Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Yesterdays expedition around town. The range, Dunhams , The Gun Rack

Boolit Master

Yesterdays expedition around town. The range, Dunhams , The Gun Rack

I have been feeling poorly but got out of the house for a bit yesterday. I took some more of my 13 gr Herco loads in 308 to the range and this time shot at 50 yds and 100 yds with a Kassnar 2 to 7 scope mounted on the 700. I had attempted to bore sight it and did succeed in getting holes in paper that I could find right away. Then when trying to dial in closer the group ended up farther away. Question... Is a Kassnar scope adjustment backward ? I get the impression that rather than moving the crosshairs , the adjustment moves the image so instead of rear sight type adjustment where you move the sight the same way you want your group to move, it resembles front sight adjustment where you move the sight the opposite way that you want the group on the target to move. This has me confused , I bore sighted the rifle 3 or 4 times and every time I tried to dial in closer ended up off the target again. I did get some promising groups , just not placed where I wanted them.

I talked to a couple of other guys sighting in their 450 Bushmaster Rugers. South of M46 is shotgun hunting and recently straight wall rifle in a new thing I guess. They saw me burning ammo and were surprised that I was getting good groups on 100 yd target and advised me to try a different scope that I could get adjusted. They had a lead sled and electronic witnessing devices for their scopes and their ammo was $2 a shot. Where is the fun in all that?

I made my Pilgrimage into the local Dunhams and they had virtually no 22 ammo except some of the high dollar target stuff, not very much though. Plenty of 22 and 177 pellets this time though. There were some pistols in the case, Kimbers and Springfield Armory , a S&W ported 357 with a short barrel, They did have a couple of High Point pistols in 9 mm for just less than $200, No 9mm ammo.

There is another shop out on Bay Road that I have gone to once in a while but never bought anything yet. They had one of those Romainian 22 rifles that kind of resemble a K98 for a good price and they had a Ruger Mini 14 for $750 which I have seen them for more than that on Gun Broker. They had a Charter Arms 38 for about $350 and they had two S&W 38 revolvers ,new, for $469. I may have to look at one of those again today. I want to verify weather one of those S&W 's might be a 357. I would take that as a sign because a friend just gave me a bunch of 357 brass and I want to have a carry gun and a 357 would do. The lady was very careful to let me know they had no 38 ammo. I said that if a person was short of ammo now, then they haven't been paying attention.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

did some rounds here and the surprising thing to me was that 38/357 was the only ammo still on the shelf, every other handgun except 10mm was sold out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I bit the bullet, so to speak. The charter arms 38 came home with me. It is an alloy frame "Chamelion" powdercoated blue and 1 1/5" barreled 5 shot 38. It weighs just about nothing. Loaded it will weigh slightly more. So now I will have some extra 357 brass I guess. I do not believe this will be for hot loads which is just fine with me. I started looking for my 38 brass and found some but I know there is more somewhere around here. I have a bunch of 150 gr round nose boolits already powdercoated red and some of the 125 gr flat nose also. I am ready to play. I had cash so it will not go through the vetting/ explaining why I needed it process. A Blessing. The NICS check took 4 or 5 minutes and I am still okay to buy as far as they know. I will put some pictures up later. I know people will want to see it so they can believe it.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 10-01-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Glad you got out and about, fr. Certainly an eventful day. .38s are fun to reload for, and funner to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    The charter arms 38 came home with me. It is an alloy frame "Chamelion".
    Mrs. Winger has one in pink.
    It won't win any beauty contests against an old Colt, or even a mud fence, but they work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.