RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost of ammo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    While it sucks it’s simply supply and demand. People are willing to pay current prices. If they weren’t the prices would come down. Kind of wish I was willing to sell some of the ammo I had. Might as well cash in for being smart and stacking deep when it was cheap. Alas, I’m not willing to sell any.
    I have been gifting people I like a bit of ammo. I stacked it deep too. Case lots when on sale or free shipping.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    With the increase in firearms sales, so goes the increase in demand for ammo. Add the shutdowns for Covid and walla - shortages.

I have a friend in Texas near Dallas who still have a place here in AZ - they had to go there for their jobs. Both he and his wife have 380s and the last time I talked with him this past week, he said that when he was able to bind 380ACP, it was around a dollar a round! Needless to say he isn't buying it. I'm trying to get him started to reload but it will take time for the two of us to accumulate what he needs. I have the brass, powder and boolits but like everyone else, am short as can be on small pistol primers. That's just the way it is and the way it will be for a while.

I haven't purchased store bought ammo in quite a few years but from what I understand, around where I am, many of the common calibers are really hard to find.

And as far as guns sales go . . . I am totally surprised at the number of folks I know who would never think of owning a firearm who have purchased one or are trying to. Not a surprise given the present state of affairs in this country.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    I have noticed in passing that factory ammo is too expensive. That is not really news to me though, it's why I cast and reload.

Three ways to get by in the world:
    1. Spend your own time and effort to do it yourself
    2. Spend your time, effort and sweat acquiring money to pay someone else to do it for you
    3. Do without.
    I would disagree. Often factory ammo is a good value except during scares. It made almost no sense to load 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, etc. with all the inexpensive ammo in those chambering available. I buy quite a bit of Hornady .22 Hornet because it shoots better in my rifle than my best reloads. Sometimes factory ammo is the right choice.

I don't reload shotgun shells. I don't shoot a lot of them so why set up to load them.

I mostly load what I can't buy, like cast bullet rifle rounds or obsolete ammo, etc.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Walmart is still charging the same for shotgun rimfire and centerfire rifle ammo. As they did before all the mayhem hit. Folks are willing to pay higher prices and co's take advantage of it.
    Our local Walmart quit carrying ammo period.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I would disagree. Often factory ammo is a good value except during scares. It made almost no sense to load 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, etc. with all the inexpensive ammo in those chambering available. I buy quite a bit of Hornady .22 Hornet because it shoots better in my rifle than my best reloads. Sometimes factory ammo is the right choice.

I don't reload shotgun shells. I don't shoot a lot of them so why set up to load them.

I mostly load what I can't buy, like cast bullet rifle rounds or obsolete ammo, etc.

Tim
    Spoken (ok, written) like a person with good income. If so I am happy for you!
    I have always had to watch my shooting related expenditures. I have not hunted/been able to hunt medium or larger game for 15 years. If I did or if I shot competitively in a discipline which required it I would buy jacketed bullets. But I don't (can't in some cases) anymore and could no longer afford the cost of those disciplines. Neither am I a blaster requiring large volumes of ammunition. So I shoot cast bullets and get more satisfaction from shooting good groups with ammunition I crafted myself to fit a specific firearm than I did when I was able to shoot a larger round count.
    Then there's the fact that for some of the arms I enjoy the most, there ain't any factory ammunition. Guess that's the road less traveled.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    Spoken (ok, written) like a person with good income. If so I am happy for you!
    I have always had to watch my shooting related expenditures. I have not hunted/been able to hunt medium or larger game for 15 years. If I did or if I shot competitively in a discipline which required it I would buy jacketed bullets. But I don't (can't in some cases) anymore and could no longer afford the cost of those disciplines. Neither am I a blaster requiring large volumes of ammunition. So I shoot cast bullets and get more satisfaction from shooting good groups with ammunition I crafted myself to fit a specific firearm than I did when I was able to shoot a larger round count.
    Then there's the fact that for some of the arms I enjoy the most, there ain't any factory ammunition. Guess that's the road less traveled.
    I have two bench rest rifles that require neck turned brass, so I have to load for those, I shoot cast in the 30 BR. I have a 25 Krag Ackley Improved so I have to load for that but only jacket bullets. I have a 30-30 single shot that I only shoot cast so I load for that. I load almost all my .357 mag and max ammo with my cast bullets. I did buy a couple boxes of 32-20 but mostly for the brass. I did load 9mm with cast back before factory ammo became stupidly cheap. I sold my SKS a few months ago. First I went to the range and shot the 100 or so rounds of cast bullet reloads I had left. I still have hundreds of round of Mil. Sup 7.62x39 that I don't have a gun chamber for. I bought an AR in .223 that I have not reloaded a single round for. I have a few thousand rounds of factory ammo. I have three 50 cal muzzle loaders and two cap and ball revolvers I cast for. No factory ammo for them.

I don't think I shoot a lot of rounds. Yesterday I went to the range and shot 75 rounds. 50 of those was fireforming new 30 BR brass. Yes, I have a good income and I also have a high net worth. I don't need to reload to shoot so I am fussy about my reloads and what I reload. That 30 BR brass is Lapua and costs a dollar a piece before I neck turn, trim, fireform and then load for score. I would rather be shooting than loading 9mm. If factory ammo will run in my race gun, that is great.

Yes, there was a time when I cast and loaded so I could shoot more because I had a family to take care of. I can understand needing to be frugal. I think it is a virtue. I can appreciate shooting small groups with bullets I made in rounds I loaded.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123