RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane problem

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Propane problem

I got a propane stove a few weeks ago, and like it. But I have a problem. I've filled a 40 pound tank TWICE since I got it. I've used soap solution looking for leaks, and did the sniff test. Where is my propane going???? I didn't soap the whole tank, maybe the tank is bad? Brand new! I know darned well the pilot lights aren't burning that much.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Does it have a pilot light?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Usually if a leak on the tank outside the stink will attract a large # of flies. If your looking for leak in the piping system, block it off and install a guage after the regulator, shut tank off with this pressure on guage and it should hold. Just narrows it down. Or regulator diaphragm may be leaking, they don’t sell them anymore just regulators which aren’t very expensive.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I have a propane stove and water heater. If I'm careful about hot water use I can go 12-14 days with a 20lb
    (5gal) tank. If I bake something in the oven the gas goes fast. Less than a week.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If its a buried line it may be leaking.

Boolit Grand Master

Propane stove ...pilot light for top burners and another pilot light for oven ?

A typical propane pilot light will use 8 gallons of propane a month

A 40 lb Propane Tank Holds 9.4 gallons of propane .

If you have one pilot light it's burning 8 gallons per month leaving 1.4 gallons for cooking on the stove .
    If you have have two pilot lights they are using 16 gallons and your tank only holds 9.4 gallons .

Pilot lights burn a lot more propane than you think ...

With a 40 lb. tank , a pilot light and using the burners ...refilling every two weeks seems just about right .
    Check for leaks and hope my info is wrong but if no leaks ...do something about the pilot light !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Wow, my last propane stove and oven had electronic ignition, and that was in a travel trailer. Mom and dad, and even I had a camper that required a match to light, didn't run out of propane in a 20 pound tank ever. I rarely shut things down, this sounds like a leak.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Check the tank by submersing it in water.

I can't imagine a new stove without electronic ignition? How much piping is involved? Maybe they aren't filling your tank full? You should 'know' if your tank is leaking. Tom

Boolit Master

you can figure the btu's that your stove is using and figure the btu's in the tank, that should tell you if its a leak or actual usage
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

If you have one pilot light it's burning 8 gallons per month leaving 1.4 gallons for cooking on the stove .
    If you have have two pilot lights they are using 16 gallons and your tank only holds 9.4 gallons .

With a 40 lb. tank , a pilot light and using the burners ...refilling every two weeks seems just about right .
    Check for leaks and hope my info is wrong but if no leaks ...do something about the pilot light !
    Gary
    Any suggestions on what to do with the pilot lights, rather than shutting the tank valve every time? Not good!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Gary
    I had no idea, you appear to be right. I do know that the top of my propane heater is warm just from the pilot and I have to turn the pilot off in warm weather. Makes a big difference.

I cursed the Communists that wouldn't let me have a pilot stove but I found this battery spark stove and maybe that's better. 3 years now on the first set of batteries.

You can usually turn off the top pilots with the adjusting screw on the pilot line(s) and use a match. Ovens are difficult due to the safety valves.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Our LPG cooking range has battery power ignitors - no pilot lite. As a last measure (after other thoughtful postings are considered); I would conducer an additional LPG pipe run to front of stove and then back to complete circuit. Would use a manual gas cutoff valve positioned where one could easily access it each time the stove is used.

Attachment 268585

Valve is $10.00 at Home Depot.

Not ideal; but would address the excessive propane usage ( 40 Gal propane Tank @ 9 gallons = $1.60 gallon X 9 Gal = $10.50 per tank. More than the cost of the valve.

What brand of stove did you purchase? Is there a conversion kit to Battery Operated electric ignitors in lieu of the pilot lites?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Believe it or not, I have seen all sizes of propane tanks with leaks in them, from very old to brand new. Best why is to pressure check the system and check all the threads on the tank, all the welds. Submerge the tank in water .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    I thought those pilot lights had an auto shut off if the light went out to prevent gas flow if the light should get blown out or go out for some other reason. You then have to hold down a red button to relight the pilot and wait until a heat sensor gets hot for the gas to remain flowing after the red button is released.
    I think I would blow out the pilot and use a long stem lighter

Boolit Grand Master

To conserve propane can you convert the stove to match light... my grandmother's stove was lit from a big kitchen match ... the big box was placed in a kitchen match box holder and hung on the wall .
    The other option is electronic igniter .
    Pilot lights were phased out as an energy saving feature ...
    and I don't miss them !
    Having to re-light all the pilot lights ...stove had two , water heater and gas furnace , every time the gas was shut off was a pain . And it cost a lot of money for all that wasted gas .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

To conserve propane can you convert the stove to match light... my grandmother's stove was lit from a big kitchen match ... the big box was placed in a kitchen match box holder and hung on the wall .
    The other option is electronic igniter .
    Pilot lights were phased out as an energy saving feature ...
    and I don't miss them !
    Having to re-light all the pilot lights ...stove had two , water heater and gas furnace , every time the gas was shut off was a pain . And it cost a lot of money for all that wasted gas .
    Any details to converting to match light?

Boolit Master
    The top burner pilots can usually be shut off with the pilot adjustment, turn clockwise. Small screw on the tiny pilot lines.

Oven with a recent safety system, shut the gas off for 5 minutes and don't light the pilot when you turn it on. Make sure it's not a really old system where the pilot has no safety and runs anytime the gas is on. Make Sure The Pilot Is Really Off. LOL Relight and shutoff is clumsy but can be done.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Any details to converting to match light?
    Some have a little gas line that just goes to the pilot.
    Follow it back, remove the line and any decent hard ware store should have a plug or cap for it.
    I've heard of cutting it and soldering the end, but I'd get the plug if I was doing it.

The official red neck method of leak detection is to get a spray bottle of water with some dish soap in it.
    Spray it generously over the suspected area and watch for foaming bubbles.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-30-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Some have a little gas line that just goes to the pilot.
    Follow it back, remove the line and any decent hard ware store should have a plug or cap for it.
    I've heard of cutting it and soldering the end, but I'd get the plug if I was doing it.

The official red neck method of leak detection is to get a spray bottle of water with some dish soap in it.
    Spray it generously over the suspected area and watch for foaming bubbles.
    I sprayed everything down a few times, just to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast