Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4320 discontinued?

Banned

I still have half a four pound keg of it and I found a couple of places nearby that have new old stock on the shelves. I'll likely go back and buy it, I've liked it in many things for years. Here lately, I've found it to be very good with 140 grain bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I started loading it in .243 in 1970 using the accuracy load for 100 gr jacketed from the then current Lyman manual (#45 I think ) and have never felt the need to try another load . I own 5 243's and I could not likely shoot smaller groups with any other load than I do with this one . Even if I could there would be no need unless I were shooting in bench rest matches, which ain't likely.

Like I said , I won't run out in this lifetime and neither will my boys but I sure will hate not being able to buy more should I get nervous and want more . I ain't got over them dropping Winchester 680 yet .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-16-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Poor typing skills .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Man
    I think it was originally the military powder for .308

Boolit Master

I too would be sad if this is true. Like others have said, it is one of the best metering IMR stick powders made. I used a lot of it over the years in . 30-06, .30-30, and . 223. Not that other powders aren't just as good, but I do like it. I believe it was the first rifle powder I ever loaded with, way back in the 80s

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman #50 lists it as the powder for accuracy for 125, 190 and 200 grain bullets in 30-06.

It is my GO TO powder for the 358 Norma. I have about 8 lbs on hand as I don't plink much with that rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Yes, it would seem that Varget has taken the place of 4320. Same speed but easier metering and less temperature sensitive.
    Varget has also been discontinued in 2020.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Yes, it would seem that Varget has taken the place of 4320. Same speed but easier metering and less temperature sensitive.
    Varget also discontinued in 2020.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    Varget also discontinued in 2020.
    Oh no, now what? I have an odd wildcat match rifle and used Powley to develop loads for it and it selected 4320. I used up what Little l had and am working on other powders but work is the word.
    I am told that IMR powders are pretty linear which is why the calculator works. Ball powders, not so much. They have a happy place and outside of that, they can make you very unhappy.

How do you know this to be true?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

IMR 4320 was the most accurate powder in my 17 Remington.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Please provide proof and you better tell Hodgdon it's discontinued as they still list it on their website.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

I think I'm the only guy who reloads that has never used Varget.

I've never used it either, though it does seem very popular. Hodgden would be quite dumb to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I think I'm the only guy who reloads that has never used Varget.
    Nah, I'm the other one. -- And I've got a nearly full 8 lb keg of 4320 from the seventies.

Boolit Master

I must be the third guy.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never used 4320 that I can recall.

If I found a bunch on sale I would buy it and experiment with it. I have settled on Varget for my rifle loads. The problem with Varget is availability. I am down to 3 jugs and that is not as much as it sounds. I have decided to do some load work ups with 4064.
    Don Verna

I went to IMR 4320 a while back when I could not get Varget, now I have about 7.5 lbs of 4320, and about 15 lbs of Varget, so I should be good for a while with the cartridges I use them for.
    Varget is still listed on their website, but NObody has any.
    Not sure what to got to when they are gone.
    That is unless you will need an FFL license to reload your own ammo!

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Buddy
    I just found this out while looking up loads for .22-250, sure shocked me to see it gone! It was the first powder I loaded with, 8x57 Mauser using and old Lee Engineering handloader from the the late 60's or so, then .30-06 (and finally a press and real dies ��). I was paying under $6 a pound back then and still have some, even picked up some sealed metal cans last year from Dupont dating to the 60's. Anyway, sad to see it go even if I don't use it much, the 20 or so other types of powder in my hoard cover what I need.

On the subject of Varget, anyone run that in .22PPC?
    Last edited by JKH; 02-12-2021 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master
    I am more than a little surprised at how many people are ardent fans of this powder.
    I Only gave it a try in the 70's in my old Rem 700 270 and a 30-06, but it was not on the same page for me as other powders, notably 4895 and 4350. My 06 liked H414 with Speer 150 grains spitzers the best, while the 270 liked 130 grain bullets and 4350 the best. But the 4350 worked well enough in the 06, that I compromised on the deal and economized by buying only one powder. These days I use Varget, and 4350, WW-760/H414 for the 308 and up and WW-748 for 223-30-30.
    The one cartridge I shoot where 4320 showed promise was in the .348 Winchester, a 50 grain charge under an RCBS 200 grain gas-check boolit gave me good groups and 2200+FPS from a 24 inch barrel. Of course, I discovered this right about the time 4320 was being shoved off the life boat by Hodgdon, and I used up the last of the can a year or so ago. I have other good loads that I can get (or rather HAVE) powder for so I won't miss it, but I remain surprised at how many people have had such success using it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast