WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H&R sportsman

Boolit Buddy

H&R sportsman

Went to the range with a buddy the other day and he was complaining the 22 ammo he got from someone wouldn't work in his semi rifles and even in his h&r revolver. Said it was because it is hollow point not lead bullets. I said no way and loaded some of mine but they were hp also so he says they wont work because they're not lead. Lol I just laughed and tried his revolver. Sure enough they didn't work because the cylinder wouldn't advance so I told him his gun was broken. He didn't take that very well and it was because the hp broke it. I said your hand spring is broken and sure enough after I took it apart its broken.
    So to come to the point I cant find for sure what model this is besides a sportsman double action. It doesn't look like a model 99 but looks more like the single action special in the barrel. Anyone know what this is and what hand could I order and where. Or someone who could make a new spring so I don't have to fit a pusher from what diagrams of h&r call it. Lol I dont even know if I can get it back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200929_154102_copy_756x1008.jpg   20200929_154055_copy_756x1008.jpg   20200929_154050_copy_756x1008.jpg   20200929_154036_copy_756x1008.jpg  
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

GPC/Numrich may have parts, be sure to provide serial # to help identifying the part needed. I’m guessing that one is a pre model 999. Maybe the lighting of the photo but the hammer looks to have brazing on the side? Good luck with it.

That is a very early (1932-1933 only) Sportsman, as defined by the Rice gripframe and the "D" serial number prefix.

If you mean the cylinder stop spring, I believe this will fit: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/272360

Here's the full parts list, which includes an exploded parts diagram: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...volvers-hr/999

Last edited by pietro; 09-30-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I dearly hate to work on H&R/IJ DA revolvers. It’s a three handed job with a box of slave pins. 99% of the time it’s the hand spring, return spring or the ratchet teeth are chewed off. If you can avoid a new hand I would do so. It can be a PIA to fit them. I have an old one I bought off some kids last summer. They found it in a shed they were hired to empty and tear down. Was probably some old timers hog killing gun. I need to tear it apart to clean up. Maybe I’ll luck out and get run over by a bus first.

Banned

Good luck getting it back together!

Boolit Buddy
    It is the hand spring and my buddy ordered one. I told him I'm not sure what I can do but fitting a hand isn't something I can do. Plus not sure if I CAN get back together. A used one would better but still there's putting it together.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.