WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Stretched Frames and Damaged Toggles........

Stretched Frames and Damaged Toggles........

Lets get all of these stories documented.....but rather than sharing "Parrot Talk", lets show photographs with details. I will be posting such information here:https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...amaged-toggles with permission of the author.

I'd like to see photos, details of caliber, load data, original parts, OEM parts or third party replacement kits. Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Like I said, "Parrot" Talk won't be published.

Can't wait to see all of these damaged rifles.

Thanks Fellas

Boolit Master
    I got some parrot talk about a brass gun (66 Uberti 22 magnum) I bent enough to bind the bolt a little - dont have the gun anymore - had the sideplates off it - gave the stock a bump with the heel of my hand when it wouldnt come loose from the tangs - ran fine before - sticky and stiff afterwards.............................made me believe the closely fitted sideplates are a good part of the action strength of the brass frame guns.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I got some parrot talk about a brass gun (66 Uberti 22 magnum) I bent enough to bind the bolt a little - dont have the gun anymore - had the sideplates off it - gave the stock a bump with the heel of my hand when it wouldnt come loose from the tangs - ran fine before - sticky and stiff afterwards.............................made me believe the closely fitted sideplates are a good part of the action strength of the brass frame guns.
    Those side plates fit like a spandex glove, I bet you are correct...very valid point!!!

Here are some photos of my Uberti 73' that have had countless SAAMI Max pressure 44-40 loads shot through it with Reloder 7. Notice the unburnt skeletons. I tested 26.5gr of Reloder 7 in the 20"x 1 1/4" MGM "test" barrel with a 217gr 43-215C lead bullet. This was test #72 of 83 (ten shot groups) I performed with various loads of different powders, bullets primers cases etc. This particular load recorded 1,469 fps @ 12,971 psi ( round it up to 13,000 psi) and loose 4" groups at 100 yards.

For the Winchester 73', I backed it down to 25.8gr and eventually settled for the 43-214A cast .428" (.429" bore), 220gr. Velocities are stable at 1,350fps with pressures estimated to be 11,500 psi to 12,500 psi. SAAMI max is 11,000 (MAP) psi, 11,300 psi (MPLM) and 11,700 psi (MSLM) with CCI 300 primers and Starline brass.

So far, no ill results and I am grouping 4" 10 shot groups @ 100 yards. My best group was 3.30" and 3.15 MOA. Having lots of fun at 250 yards as well. I'd go further but that's the furthest range I have had available. Toggles are as tight as they were when I got the rifle and it had already been shot in CAS matches when I got it.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...amaged-toggles

Attachment 268590

Attachment 268591

Attachment 268592

Attachment 268593

Attachment 268594
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 09-30-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Here are some photos of my Uberti 73' that have had countless SAAMI Max pressure 44-40 loads shot through it with Reloder 7. Notice the unburnt skeletons. I tested 26.5gr of Reloder 7 in the 20"x 1 1/4" MGM "test" barrel with a 217gr 43-215C lead bullet. This was test #72 of 83 (ten shot groups) I performed with various loads of different powders, bullets primers cases etc. This particular load recorded 1,469 fps @ 12,971 psi ( round it up to 13,000 psi) and loose 4" groups at 100 yards.

For the Winchester 73', I backed it down to 25.8gr and eventually settled for the 43-214A cast .428" (.429" bore), 220gr. Velocities are stable at 1,350fps with pressures estimated to be 11,500 psi to 12,500 psi. SAAMI max is 11,000 (MAP) psi, 11,300 psi (MPLM) and 11,700 psi (MSLM) with CCI 300 primers and Starline brass.

So far, no ill results and I am grouping 4" 10 shot groups @ 100 yards. My best group was 3.30" and 3.15 MOA. Having lots of fun at 250 yards as well. I'd go further but that's the furthest range I have had available. Toggles are as tight as they were when I got the rifle and it had already been shot in CAS matches when I got it.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...amaged-toggles

Attachment 268590

Attachment 268591

Attachment 268592

Attachment 268593

Attachment 268594
    That last picture shows how (if these guns are fitted up right) the shoulders of the toggle links really carry the rearward thrust rather than (or at lease as well as) the pivot pins - purty rifle too!!!!

Thanks Joe!!

Also folks,
    I am working on some information that proves there is very little to no thrust on the bolt with low pressures.

Stand-By with the popcorn!