Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with 50 yrs of The American Rifleman?

Boolit Master

What to do with 50 yrs of The American Rifleman?

Moving for the last time, had to give / sell most of my tools, reloading stuff to Son all due to nerve damage in both arms/ hands. Well, have about 50 years of The American Rifleman magazines in boxes. Missing a few years from the 70’s( lost at hunting club) and just don't know what to do with them. The ads in the back of pre 69 ones are priceless, makes one cry to see prices back in 50’s. Countless articles that are real treasures and the gun smithing info that’s hard to find today. What say you all?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Cronel Publications does reprints of old magazines. They might be a source for your liquidation

https://www.cornellpubs.com/index.php

Boolit Grand Master

List it here? How’s the condition

Boolit Master

Condition is pretty good, anyone know how much these magazines weigh? Shipping is out of the question. I’m not parting them out in dribs and drabs, someone needs to take them all, close to JAX Fl.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Really wish I was closer... I have a few, but nothing like that.

Shipping media isn't that bad. I just got 44 pounds of books for 27 shipping. So, if you were wanting to give them for shipping, it would be worth it to the right person.

Boolit Master

shipping is on buyer. I have back to about 1945. Good stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I remember when I was a kid looking at the back pages of my father’s magazines. All the surplus rifles for sale many way under $20. They shipped right to your door by US mail. No questions asked. Those were the days.

Boolit Grand Master
    MEDIA rate for USPS I believe still exists and it is VERY inexpensive.

Boolit Master

Yea, “ book rate” is cheap but I bet theres about 200 pounds worth? maybe more?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Boolit Master
    Go to the USPS website and read sec. 170 of the Domestic Mail Manual titled Retail Mail - Media Mail and Library Mail. You might get away with sending magazines by media mail; no doubt it has been done. Also note that Media Mail is not barred from opening for inspection.

I feel your pain, 10-x. I had about 45 years worth of American Rifleman, Guns, Guns & Ammo, and Shooting Times. Plus a few other good ones like the 1st issue of Gun World, etc. I tried to give them away on the forum, no takers. I tried giving them to Cornell Publications, and they said they already had them. Finally they went into the dumpster. That was about 5 years ago, and now when I finish reading them they go in the waste basket. However, what I am doing now is to tear out the articles that I want to re-read in the future and those from which I learned something, three hole punch them, and keep them in a binder. So far I have 3 big fat binders, but far less of a problem to move and store.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one of our Gunshows, one of the older members dropped off a bunch of old issues to me.
    All tied up with twine.
    I should really look at them.

Banned

My Dad had decades of American Rifleman bound and saved when he was still in S.C., not sure if they made the move west with him, and I didn't see them when we moved him and mom into assisted living a few years ago. Maybe one of my brothers got them.

I do have a stack of Shooter's Bibles, Gun Digest, etc., many of which go back to the 50s. Been meaning to go through them and figure out what to keep and what to send on its way.

Boolit Master
    I had 2 boxes of Gun Digest and 4 boxes of of various gun mags. Luckily I found a couple of young kids that loved to read. So they got a new good home..

Boolit Master
    Canton McKinley in Ohio has them in leather binders on the wall, a pleasure to read while l am there. Perhaps your gun club or range would take care of them? I have from 40's to 70s. Anything new is tossed within the hour....

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Shipping media isn't that bad. I just got 44 pounds of books for 27 shipping. So, if you were wanting to give them for shipping, it would be worth it to the right person.
    I don’t believe book rate shipping applies to magazines, only hardbound books.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I was given two sets American Rifleman magazines from 1927 to the mid 90s. I lugged those puppies to the big gun show in Pomona. I also had Gun Digest dated from 1945 to 1998. I only sold two Gun Digest. the 1952 & 1997. I did sell one set of the Rifleman for $100 but that was pure luck. I saw a man looking thru some Rifleman at another man's table. I told him I would sell him a bunch for cheap. I know, dirty pool but I didn't want to deal with them anymore.I gave the other set to a friend at work. I found out one thing at that show, books don't sell well. I did have lots of old cavalry items like spurs, bridle bits and one civil war canteen. All these items sold and brought big money. Gun parts sold well also. I told the NRA years ago that they didn't have to send me the Rifleman anymore. I could read it on the computer. As it turned out my friend gives me his. I take the to the range and leave them for anyone to take. My advice, don't save old mags, no matter what the name.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    They are like the old National Geo magazines. Everybody has decades of the darned things but what do you do with them. I cleaned out by dad's house and he had them from the mid 50's to present. All went to the local 2nd hand store....and I never looked back. I have them (from issue #1 to 2010 on DVD in a set, if I ever wanted to look at them.

I would not loose sleep over all those old magazines. Just dump them off at Goodwill if no one wants to pay postage.

Also had 30 years of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics. All followed the Nat Geo's to the thrift store.

And today the tax laws have changed so much you need $10k or more of donations to even start to take it off the Fed....at least in my bracket. The state of AZ allows a bit less. But the standard deductions are so high, donations are now a waste of time. Now I just haul the junk to Goodwill and let them worry about it.

Boolit Master
    If you can't sell them, consider dropping a few off each time you visit a Doctors or Dentists waiting room. At the very least you will be able to tick-off a Liberal (or Democrat in the US).
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast