Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lightest Red Dot .44 Mag load

Boolit Bub

Lightest Red Dot .44 Mag load

Howdy............

What is the lightest load anyone has used successfully in .44 mag cases, 200 RNFP, and Red Dot?

Looking for a really light bunny fart load. Not looking for anything over 700 fps.

THANKS in advance, Bo

I have never tried to go low in .44mag. Mine are all Handi rifles, shoot 6.5 gr of Red Dot behind near any boolit 200 to 240 grains very very well.

I would try 3, 3.5,4,4.5 grain loads.

For some strange reason 4.6 grains works amazingly well in an absolutely huge number of cartridges. So if it was me I would start there and work down if needed.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You didn't say if you were shooting this in a rifle or a revolver. 3.5 grains of Red Dot with 200-grain lead in a .44 Magnum Marlin 1894 will make it out the barrel "most of the time." I would not go below 4 grains in a rifle, or 3.5 grains in a revolver.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Fellows!!

This is what I wanted to hear. Looking for such a load for revolver only.

Was thinking: 4.5 to 4.7 grains Red Dot w/ 200 grain in .44 mag case.

And 4.1 to 4.3 in .44 Special cases.

SIDE NOTE: I have fired many rounds of .44 mag, 200 RNFP, and 4.6 Titegroup and .44 Spl, 200 RNFP, and 4.1 Titegroup, a wonderful and reliable plinking load in both shells. I just want to try similar plinking loads using Red Dot.

Take care, be safe, and thanks for your suggestions. "Bo" in western NC

If your loading light in a big cartridge be careful of flashover

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Red Dot is the only powder you have ?
    http://reloadammo.com/44loads.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Red Dot is the only powder you have ?
    http://reloadammo.com/44loads.htm
    Hi John...............no, quite the opposite. I was a FFL for 26 years and reloaded since 1969..........probably have every powder there is on the shelves except the newer VV and AA powders. I just want to play with Red Dot for a while and load it in something besides 12 gauge.

Got some really good compliments from a close reloading friend recently on some .38 spl. I gave him with Red Dot....... 158 gr RNFP and 3.0 gr. Red Dot. Just wanting to expand Red Dot into the .44 and .45 calibers for light loads.

Boolit Master
    issue will probably be how dirty are you okay with the cases getting that determines how low youd want to go

Boolit Master
    FYI,

I ran a Lyman 200 gr 44 mag with 1.61 OAL and 4.6 TG. The result was 751 fps with Quickload from a 6" barrel (breech to muzzle). QL says it takes 4.2 gr Red Dot to get the same speed keeping everything else the same.

I ran a Lyman 200 gr 44 Special with 1.425 OAL and 4.1 TG. The result was 754 fps with Quickload from a 6" barrel (breech to muzzle). QL says it takes 3.7 gr Red Dot to get the same speed keeping everything else the same.

Boolit Bub
    Flados..............this is really good to read.............. I do not have Quickload and not exactly sure what it is. I do have a Chrony but seldom go to all the trouble to set it up on a tripod and align with the barrel, etc. Mostly, it has been used in the past for rifle loads anyway.

Sort of proud of myself here............. When I came up with the 4.6 TG .44 Mag load and 4.1 TG .44 Spl loads, I estimated either of them to be between 700 and 725, so not far off of the figures you shared.

Now, the BIG surprise is how little Red Dot it takes to equal a larger amount of Titegroup!!! I always thought TG was faster burning and created pressure faster??? This gives me food for more experiment.

I just loaded 100 rounds of .44 Mag cases with 200 RNFP and 4.7 grains Red Dot, so there should be enough push to get that slug down even my rifle barrel if wanted.

Good stuff....THANKS to all!! Y'all are the best!

Bit more than you ask for but I use 4.9 gr. in a magnum case with the Lee 200 rnfp. Maybe my most accurate load. Get about 850 fps from a 7 1/2" barrel. Even better they go into the same groups as my full house loads

Boolit Master

Boy, you should get a lot of rounds from a pound of powder with Red Dot.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

@ 4.5 gr per load it is 1555 rounds per pound of powder. That means you need a box and a half of primers for each pound of Red Dot.

PS at that rate figuring 25$ per pound it is 1.6 cents per round for powder. Primers will cost you 3-4 cents, lead, well that depends on how big. At a dollar a pound and 200 grains its another 3 cents give or take a bit.

7.5-8 cents a round for .44mag with that kind of thump on the far end. Sounds like fun to me.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    Chutes, Dixie and all..........THANKS AGAIN!!

PART of the idea is getting more loads per pound, but the FUN is plinking soft recoil rounds. In my youth, I was not happy with my "new" Old Model Super Blackhawk unless it spit a Two-Foot flame in broad daylight on every cough. I was a die-hard 22 grains Hercules 2400 Elmer fan. The flame and rear sight parting my hair was thrilling (back then).

Now with hand problems, no hair, and no hearing, I want bunny fart loads.

I already get a lot of loads for many revolver calibers with Titegroup........... reduced loads in .38, .357, .44 Spl., .44 mag, .45 Colt, and .45 auto rim...and a couple more (loads actually below most recommended starts, but they work fine and I try to keep bullet speed above 675). But I also have like 20 pounds of Red Dot left over from skeet days, so wanting to find another good use for it.

Thanks again, y'all. I appreciate ya! Bo

Boolit Master
    I have loaded more ammo with Promo (bulk version of Red Dot) than any other powder. Lots of 327, 38 Sp, 9mm, 357 Mag, 357 Max, 44 mag & 45 ACP. Many mid range loads, many light, some "extra low recoil". For non-magnum handgun loads, I am happy with Promo for most.

For non-magnum handgun loads, Titegroup is my "other" choice. I use Titegroup for 9mm, very light 32s & 38s (where charges would be too low for good metering with Promo) and a few oddball loads.

With 20 lbs of Red Dot, bunny fart handgun loads are not going to put a dent in your supply any time soon. You may want to try it in some other applications. If you want me to run some other TG loads to get the same QL estimated velocity with Red Dot, just list details. It would help to know barrel length (breech to muzzle), OAL and bullet length.
    Last edited by P Flados; 09-30-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    For best ignition with red dot in revolver rounds (including the 44 Mag) I inside flash hole debur!

It’s a one time operation I now do to all my metallic brass for all loads and powders. Rifle, pistol and revolver. All of them.

Red dot taught me the value of it in handguns first.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”