RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington rifles

Banned

what ive found is the guys on line that bash them are usually the wanabes that want to make it look like there knowledgeable. same type of idiot that shot his son because he had his finger on the trigger and was pointing his gun at the kid (pretty hard to shoot someone without pointing a gun at them) and were so sick they tried to profit from it suing Remington for there stupidity.

I've got 4 of the newer 700 ADL's. They are all sub $400.00 rifles and everyone of them makes me look like I'm a good shooter. Knock on wood, I've not had any issues with triggers and they all seem solid. They're not real pretty but I can take them out and not worry about nicks and scratches.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 7mm-08, that was born sometime around the early 1970's

I just looked, nothing like that on GB,, does that make my Varmint Special more valuable?

I bought it off a guy at a Roanoke gun show, he had purchased EVERY caliber that he could find that had the barrel mounted scope blocks.
    It was a beautiful collection, I almost hated to break up the collection, by buying the 7MM-08,,,,,,,,,

After I got the gun, a guy I worked with overheard that I bought the gun, he said that he had the perfect scope for the gun,,
    a 24X Redfield,, I bought the scope from him on the way home from work that day,,

I am shocked how much more this gun kicks as compared to the identical gun in 243 Winchester.
    Side by side, the two cartridges look almost identical,,

I have enjoyed the gun,,,

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 2018 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor is a real dandy. It is a low cost plastic stocked rifle but looks and shoots like the factory actually cared about making it the right way. That is what I always liked about the Marlin model 30's. They were low priced and plain looking but usually had as good workmanship and would shoot just as well as the 336.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Even the M8s & M81s shoot well, with cast bullets. I have played with .32 Rem, .35 Rem, .30 Rem, .300 Sav. Back in the 80s we were shooting CB silhouette matches in Mass. and the .32 M81 had no trouble dumping a 200 yd. ram.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    I have a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 7mm-08, that was born sometime around the early 1970's

I just looked, nothing like that on GB,, does that make my Varmint Special more valuable?

I bought it off a guy at a Roanoke gun show, he had purchased EVERY caliber that he could find that had the barrel mounted scope blocks.
    It was a beautiful collection, I almost hated to break up the collection, by buying the 7MM-08,,,,,,,,,

After I got the gun, a guy I worked with overheard that I bought the gun, he said that he had the perfect scope for the gun,,
    a 24X Redfield,, I bought the scope from him on the way home from work that day,,

I am shocked how much more this gun kicks as compared to the identical gun in 243 Winchester.

ive got one just like that in 22-250 one of the best shooting guns ive ever owned.

Boolit Bub

This is an absolute beauty of a rifle.

I have owned both older and new versions of the 700. Really don't care for the newer versions much. Bought a ADL synthetic in 223 a month or so ago for a good price. Rough all over and shot rather in a mediocre fashion. Also this spring I put together a 260 Remington on a Short action, 24" aftermarket barrel contoured like Remingtons magnum barrel contour and put it in a Laminated Mountain Rifle stock. This one smoothed up nicely after a couple hundred shots and is a tackdriver. This one will be my last R700 unless when they come back out they are more like the ones built in the 70's.

Boolit Master

My meat gun is a Remington 721 in 30-06, it has never failed me

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

ive got two guns i consider meat guns. Ones a 700 in 06 and the other a 70 featherweight win in 06. Truth be told i could do all of my big game hunting with either. Lots of rounds come and go and are toted by "gun experts" as the next best thing but its a very rare one that does what the old 06 hasnt done for a 100 years.

My newest Remington is a bankrupt parts assembly AR15 featuring a Remington. 223 22" fluted 1-9" barrel with a Bushmaster upper receiver mated to an 80% bottom half( by me). I hope its an excellent barrel like Big Green always made IMO.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Just like Dad's 72' 25-06' but his has more wear . I killed my first deer with it just shy of 40 years ago . Dad hunted it all over Nevada , the Monte Cristos in Utah , coyotes in
    Ca , and Elk in a little piece of Montana .

I can't argue that Rem built great guns , Dad's was a Wednesday morning rifle , it seems to me the vast majority were Tues and Thursday guns . In hindsight their buying up the competition plan was poor planning .

I had a Rem built 03A3 , me and that rifle just didn't communicate .
    Had a 760 chambered with a match reamer I'd swear .
    Had a Model 14 of 1935 it actually turned out to be a great rifle .
    Had an 1100 mag beautiful gun it never swung well , it was heavy , just didn't like it .
    A friend has a left hand 1187 , twice the gun the 1100 i had was .

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    No flies on a Remington 700 ADL or BDL up to year 2000, some perceived and real trigger issues over the years but easily remedied with a myriad of after market parts. The Remington 700 is the pattern of choice in precision bolt action rifles that has been copied over and over by more custom builders than any other. I ‘m glad I snagged a good pile of 700’s in long and short actions. I have had more Remington 700’s that are outstanding shooters than any other brand of rifle,not Winchester, Savage, or Ruger.
    They were real. A friend had two accidental discharges in two days and I was with him both times. The first time we assumed it was somehow his fault. The second proved it wasn't; it fired when he released the safety to unload it and nothing was touching the trigger. You couldn't unload the old M700 with the safety on.

We both owned M700's; mine never did it. But after the two AD's, the M700 safety (for us) became an empty chamber. That was before the recall and we never sent them back. Our field expedient safety worked well enough plus if they didn't get it right the first time, I wasn't satisfied they would on the 2nd try.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think that the 7-08 varmint had the lowest production and is fairly scarce. Kind of like the Rem 788 in 44mag.

cp1969 did you change out the bad trigger, or even clean it ? Thanks for your anecdotal internet testimony.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Nice rifle, but has it been rebarrelled? Pretty sure the 7mm-08 arrived in the 1980's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    cp1969 did you change out the bad trigger, or even clean it ? Thanks for your anecdotal internet testimony.
    Sorry to be so late in getting back with you.

No, he (and I) just quit using the Remington safety altogether. An empty chamber or raised bolt handle was our 'safety' from then on. The bad thing about doing it that way was that when he died, his widow wouldn't accept any help from his friends in selling off his gun collection, so there was no way for those of us who knew it was a defective safety to warn the next owner.

Boolit Master
    Dealer in a local gun shop showed me a nice 700. Cocks the rifle,puts the safety on and when he took off the safety the firing pin dropped. This was with the rifle being unloaded. Ran into this a couple times at our old gun club. With about 800 members was bound to show up here and there. One or two ad's is enough to get the RO's attention. Frank

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Nice rifle, but has it been rebarrelled? Pretty sure the 7mm-08 arrived in the 1980's.
    I noticed the same thing. Perhaps the poster got the date wrong and meant to say early 1980's instead of early 1970's.

The 7mm-08 (or equivalent) existed as a wildcat in the 1970's but it wasn't a factory loaded cartridge until 1980.

In any event, that's a nice rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I noticed the same thing. Perhaps the poster got the date wrong and meant to say early 1980's instead of early 1970's.

The 7mm-08 (or equivalent) existed as a wildcat in the 1970's but it wasn't a factory loaded cartridge until 1980.

In any event, that's a nice rifle.
    I bought that 7MM-08 rifle in 1984-85,, used,, . Heck, the gun must have only been "days" old!!
    I assumed it was older, because my mother purchased a brand new 243 WIN 700 Varmint Special in for me 1984,,
    it did not have the barrel scope mounts.

I had owned a 22-250 with the barrel mounted scope mounts purchased just before 1975,,
    so I assumed the barrel type scope mounts "dated" the rifle to an earlier time.

I only paid the guy $250 OTD for the 7MM-08,, thinking he had owned it for quite a while,,
    obviously not,,,

Like I said earlier, he had a table full of Varmint Specials,,
    all different calibers, all with the barrel mount scope feature.

Who knows!!??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast