Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Bore Sighting Scope Mount

Boolit Buddy

Bore Sighting Scope Mount

I've made a scope mount for my 1881 Vetterli to take a scout/IER scope on the rear sight base. I'm hoping to use it on a doe this season if I can get it up and running. I'm using an old Redfield 3/4" 2x scope originally intended to mount on the barrel of a Win Model 94. I cut a new male plate to fit the rear sight dovetail and to the top of that I am bolting my base plate adapter. It should be pretty stiff once in place and bolted down and will allow the top ejection to function normally. The issue at the moment is that the dovetail is not parallel to the bore axis so when I look through the bore at the neighbor's porch light, the cross hairs are about 3' low. A .015" shim under the front of the base tilts it up and the reticle ends up just under a foot high at ~65 yards. I can twiddle with it from here but I need to know what the relationship between the two should be so it will zero at 100yds. So I'm looking for a little help with the math or experience here. I've done this with modern cartridges to get on paper but not with a loopy cartridge like the 41 Swiss. The load is a 325gr .429 bullet at about 1400 fps. The scope is 1.6" above the bore. The kicker is that this scope has very little reticle travel so the mechanical zero needs to be close. I won't have much time to sight in and play with it so I need it as close as possible from the outset. As usual I'm probably overthinking it and I bet if I center the bore and the reticle as best I can by eye, I will be pretty close?

Boolit Buddy
    have you centered the cross hairs in the scope , before you start your adjustments of the mounts?

Boolit Buddy
    yup
    That is how I figured out I don't have much more than a foot if that of elevation and/or windage adjustment.