Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: double barrel 12 ga.

Boolit Buddy

double barrel 12 ga.

I'm kind of a fan of double barrels and found one that has a little "wiggle" and does not lock up tight. Is there a way a good gunsmith can fix this or is it a junk basket case. I'm sure the problem came from snapping the barrel wrecklessly to close it.

There should be simple way to tighten up. Not knowing if in hinge, latch , ect can’t tell you what to do.

Boolit Master

could be the latch or the catch is worn and just needs built up, might try to youtube to see if somebody has a video on it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    I'm kind of a fan of double barrels and found one that has a little "wiggle" and does not lock up tight. Is there a way a good gunsmith can fix this or is it a junk basket case. I'm sure the problem came from snapping the barrel wrecklessly to close it.
    Generally speaking, they can be fixed. Refer to Larry's video on the subject on Midway USA in their video series.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have fixed some by gently using a ball peen on the hinge.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Since you're asking how to fix your SxS, I would respectfully suggest for your safety to take it to a good gunsmith familiar with SxS shotguns, and not some parts-changer.

I say this because there very well be other serious causes for your issue that a magic wand cannot cure - like a hidden crack in the action, hinge/pin issues, and locking lug issues.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I understand that you stated the gun was "wiggly" which almost assuredly means the hook and or pin where the barrels pivot is worn. The proper way to repair this problem is to fit a new, slightly larger, pin. The pins and reamers are available from Brownells but you must understand what you are doing. It is possible to shim the hook with thin shim stock to tighten things up, that is bring the barrels back on face. There is a Midway video showing how to do the shim type repair on youtube. There could also be some wear of the locking system and it depends on the gun what type of repair is needed. If your shotgun is a better quality gun it may very well be worth putting some time and money into repairs. There may be other issues that would make the gun not suitable for shooting even if it were brought back on face. If you can find one, a gunsmith that is familiar with double guns, would be able to evaluate your gun and advise if it is a wise investment. Unfortunately truly knowledgeable double gun gunsmiths are not all that common.

As another fan of doubles I hope you have a diamond in the rough, not a lump of coal.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    First of all, I was not going to do any of this work myself......I don't want to be a BUBBA. I just didn't want to sound like a dutz asking a 'smith do something he may not be able to do. The double that I'm looking at is a 12 ga. Lefever. I don't know if it's a diamond or a dud, but it looked good to me.

Boolit Buddy
    If the serial number is under 100K, its a Syracuse built gun and top shelf.
    If over, its an Ithaca made and quality can be lacking.
    There are also the reorganized Bowling Green guns, a box lock with cross bolts instead of doll head top fastener.
    But Im pretty sure they all had the adjustable ball and socked knuckles that allowed quick lock up adjustment by screwing the ball deeper into the socket.
    So it should be easily adjusted unless just completely worn out to junk...

Boolit Grand Master

I am in a similar situation.

I have an old WC Scott and Son double 10 ga. with similar issue. It was once a beautiful gun, I am sure, from the nicely figured stock (under the scratches and dirt) and metalwork but badly abused over the years. The barrels are very loose on the hinge pin and I thought reaming and new pin would fix it but haven't ventured that far yet.

Serial numbers put it about 1881 and it has Damascus barrels.

I am also concerned about Bubba'ing it and would rather give/sell it for parts to restore a brother gun or get it repaired if it is worth it. The bores are not bad but it does need work. Of course being Damascus barreled it would only see BP loads if deemed fixable and shootable.

Is yours Damascus barreled or newer production with steel barrels?

Longbow