MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Worth that much????

Boolit Grand Master

Worth that much????

I was going through evilbay today.
    I go through looking at vintage and antique reloading and parts.
    I've found some good deals in the past.
    Most of the stuff is way over priced, or misrepresented.
    There are a few Hollywood presses on auction.
    Anyway..........................
    I found an old empty wood Winchester primer box for sale.
    I have a couple of them.
    Along with some other brands.
    I'm thinking he's asking way, way to much.
    But I really don't know.
    Check it out and see what you think.

It's worth the most anyone will pay for it at the time.

If they were currently selling for $100, how many of yours would you sell for $25?

Everything is like that.
    Somebody was moaning and groaning about the high price of gas one time.
    I told them it was too bad they didn't have a oil well in their yard.
    If they did, they could sell its production for 1/2 the market value and help bring the price down.
    Then it got real quiet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep.
    You can ask anything you want.
    Doesn't mean anyone will pay what your asking.
    I have a Hollywood press I'm looking to get at least $6000 for.
    Might never happen, but like PT Barnum said........................

Boolit Master

Yeah, ebay gets its share of stupid people on it. I've seen lots of things listed at astronomical prices, and others that are down right steals. I've been to all sorts of live auctions where people bid unbelievable prices, maybe competitive natures, momma wants it, or too much libations. Human nature is a squirrely thing, that's for sure.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    An item is worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay on the particular day it is sold.

I have sold as well as purchased on that particular site for years. At times, I have been totally amazed at what some of the things I have sold have brought and at other times, been amazed that some haven't brought what "I" thought they should. Everybody perceives things differently though.

If the Winchester wood primer box you refer to is the one that has the primers in a wood slotted stray and a cardboard outer shell - I have ten of them. They are the ones with the orange color Winchester cardboard covers. I am not an avid collector of them but I purchased mine off of that site. Good for display but certainly pristine covers as I'm guessing they are from the late 1800s or early 1900s. At the time I bought them, I was the only bidder and I think the starting bid was around $6.00 plus minimum shipping. I thought I would buy them - display one and sell the others. Anyway - imagine my surprise when they arrived and THEY WERE AL FULL OF PRIMERS. The seller had just put them in a box and mailed them to me. Kind of like the time I purchased a nice antique "day horn" powder horn off the same site and when it arrived, it was full of black powder. It, too, had been put in a box and sent through the mail. The sellers just didn't have any idea about Haz Mat.

abunaitoo - I agree with you that it makes you scratchiest h your head at times. At one time, I had a small collection of old percussion cap tines - I just liked the labels on the old ones and I ended up giving them to a young fellow who really had an interest in muzzleloading and history. Every once in a while, I'll take a look at the cap tins on that site, and I am amazed at what some of them are listed at as well as what some of them sell for - the same with old powder tins. What really gets to me is when I see old Remington, Alcan, etc. percussion cap tins that were very common when I started shooting BP back in the 60s and they are considered "collector items" - but then I have to remember,ber the I am not getting any younger and that was close to 60 years ago and let's face it - two generations ago - so there is a whole new bunch of younger collectors who don't quite view the value of things like we do. It does make me chuckle and smile though.

Boolit Buddy
    I took a bunch of old primers and bullets to a gun show to sell/swap. The price the "collectors" where offering was less than the cost to replace them. So I just used them up.

Bedbugbilly
    I remember going through a "tool museum" with my Dad many years ago. He had this frown on his face as we were looking at this and that. Asked him what was wrong. He said "I am not sure what to think. I have a bunch of the tools in the displays in the garage and am still using them. Does that mean the "museum" is a rip off, or am I really getting that old"

Abunaitoo,

Get off that communist island.
    It's ruining your concept of capitalism.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

E-bay is like any auction or sire 1 person interested it goes for bargain price 2 or more it becomes a contest and the same item sells for much more. Thats what makes auctions so desirable when moving a lot of things at once. The fliers are printed and sent out then usually a day or 2 for viewing things. ( these days you can get a good idea of interest).Then the day of the auction, large crowds but most are interested in only 1 or 2 things yet may buy on impulse or a decent deal. On items they want it may become a contest to win the bid.
    E-Bay amazon and other sites are much like this and reach a much larger group of interested buyers world wise.

Boolit Master
    I like auctions and I have picked up a lot of good stuff cheap but sometimes folks just don't know the proper value of items. I have seen HF tools sell for more than you can buy them at the HF store.
    Not long ago I bought a box of misc, stuff for $40. In it were two powder scales and a Bonanza co-ax press and a few other just stuff items. If someone else knew what was in the box and wanted it, it could have got expensive.
    I set a limit on my bid before I even start bidding and stop at that point. Many don't. If this press had been on a different auction site the press alone could have easily exceeded $200. To say something is worth what someone will pay for it depends a lot on who sees it. Ebay and such have a lot of viewers so prices can be top dollar and many times even more than top dollar.

Boolit Buddy
    I took a notion to see what molds were bringing on evilbay last night, and came across several that just blew my mind. I thought it looked like it made a difference in how you described it, like the use of the term "micro bands" on a LEE mold instead of TL. After looking for a while, it looks like any 6 holer mold in 9mm is bringing crazy prices. $59 LEE molds are bringing triple their value as a used mold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-90402-6...8AAOSw3nJfb9VA @ $140 now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-Mold-6-...EAAOxyHntSZZ-p @ $39.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-6-Cavit...kAAOSwHsNfa~hC @$180 now

Boolit Grand Master
    It always amazes me how people get caught up in a bidding war, when they could just get a brand new one for way less.

Boolit Grand Master

Worth that much????

I sold off all my Lee molds on eBay after Sandy Hook. They went for a lot more then they were worth to me. Which was also a lot more than MSRP but since you couldn’t buy them anywhere people were willing to pay. Was a win for me because I got rid of all Lee molds and had plenty of money to buy some custom molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Long ago, I sold some stuff on evilbay.
    Never had my stuff go for crazy prices.
    These days, it's just not worth the problems selling there.
    All kinds of horror stories about sellers being threatened because "it's not what I expected it to be. You owe me money back"
    I had a buyer here try to do that to me.
    Wanted more than he paid because "I had to do lots of work on it, and you need to pay me for my time"
    I just ignored him.
    I don't see his name here anymore.
    Hope he got kicked off, and didn't just change his name.

Another favorite trick is to buy something, then return one of that item that's broken.
    For any dispute--- Ebay always sides with the buyer.

Then buyer gets the new one for free.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes we get things just fooling around. More than several years ago, I went to a gun auction with my son, who was looking for a 375 Magnum. The auctioneer put up an 8mm Mauser sporter and no one was bidding, so for fun I bid $50, then another guy began to bid. Now I did not want that gun but I kept bidding, and my last bid was $125, thinking he could have it on his next bid----which never came! SO,--I have a really nice looking 8mm sporter that I have never fired. In fact, there are no caliber markings on it so I'm not really positive it is even an 8mm. I have to make a chamber cast I guess.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it didn't sell.
    Price is down to $72.00 now
    We have some land here, I'm sure you could buy.
    It sometimes grows overnight.
    Not many neighbors.
    Owners motivated to sell.

Boolit Master
    The price for empty gun boxes can be outrageous, too! I found a box for a Ruger new model blackhawk, 7-1/2" barrel, 45 colt and the asking price was $168! for an empty cardboard box, simply ridiculous. Even the gray molded cases are going for 2, to 2-1/2 times what I paid for mine about 15 years ago, and I though I was paying too much then.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time I was collecting .22 ammo boxes.
    Some of them are very expensive.
    I never paid more than a few bucks for any one box.
    Some times evilbay has some nice ones.

I had some old 22 boxes I sold on ebay. I got more for the empty boxes than the ammo was worth. Then I shot the ammo from a ziploc bag. Brown box Remington it was. Shot good too.

I'd like to have a henry rimfire cartridge or empty or dummy, but I can't justify paying something crazy for it.