RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I didn't include prices, because they were all over the place.
    all the primers I seen were new production, except the old ss Win that I bought at $2 per hundred.
    also, I needed CCI LPP, and one vendor had them at $40 per 1K,,,more than I'd like to spend but still reasonable under the current conditions. as to the other prices, I seen several brands at several different vendors, multiple bricks stacked on the table...some were $35, not CCI ...but I also seen some at 55 and 65 and 70 and 80.
    IMHO, the cost when varied this much, is irrelevent, but when shelves are bare at most all the LGS in my area, the fact that they are available at Gunshows is more the point, IMHO.
    Well $40/1000 may be the new normal after this blows over.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I keep seeing y'all mention $6/box 9mm target ammo in 2004/2005. I don't remember seeing that price (around here) until the obamanation years started. In 2005 we were buying (9mm) Blazer Aluminum for $2.99/box and Blazer Brass for $3.99/box. I think it did bump up a dollar more in '06-'07.

But then again, I remember buying .22 ammo for 29˘ for shorts, 39˘ for longs and 49˘ for long rifles. That wasn't all that long ago ....

jd
    If you bought cheap russian poop. More like $8/50 in case lots for real ammo.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    If you bought cheap russian poop. More like $8/50 in case lots for real ammo.

well, I guess maybe you could say that 1964 just don't fit with "wasn't all that long ago"

jd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    No Sir, I don't live in California so guess I'm not up on that state. I just find it interesting that the left is buying ammo to take it from us. First I've heard of it but guess if they have enough money that will work.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I don't know that there is any plan to buy up ammo to make it unavailable (like others, to me it seems that the scarcity is driven by civil unrest in combination with cyclic election concerns causing increased demand and CoVid shutdowns impacting production). What I was getting at is my impression that the antigun crowd out here seems to be trying an end run around 2A rights with various ammo laws.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    ......I apologize for this long post but I’m stuck in hospital with tubes including a catheter inside me. I do not recommend this to anybody as your ability to do certain things are impaired.
    I liked the long post. It is interesting to see how different industries have been impacted and how they are changing. I worked in the copper wire industry (automotive) many years ago and changing production rate or product (eg, automotive to house wiring) was difficult, if not impossible, without expending large sums of money and time.

Your medical condition brings back 'fond' memories

Boolit Master

Dropped by Sportmans & Ski Haus in Kalispell this morning after a trip to Wally World for Winter Windshield Wiper Fluid. Zero Primers - only empty shelves for all primer types. Sure happy I have a goodly supply on hand. (Multiple Years worth - even discounting the Kids and Grand Kids dropping by to reduce my hoard).

.22's and .17's seemed to be low in supply; and lot's of empty space where .223, .308, 30-06, etc ammo would usually be bulging this time of year.

Did find and quickly acquire two boxes of 30-40 Krag. I have a couple of them I have to feed; and when I see some factory will usually pick them up, even though I have a few hundred empty cases.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 10-01-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Bought 1,000 Fiocchi 209 primers for $24 and 1,000 Winchester LP's for $25; last ones in both cases.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought a box of WLR about a month ago. There is nothing to be had.
    I shoot cast almost exclusively. Checked 9mm and 380 for some of those in the lab.
    They won't be shooting anytime soon.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I bought a box of Winchester standard small pistol primers at the LGS today, and found they had gone up $10.00 a thousand. Since I have 2K standard and 1K mag primers, I will probably hold out for a price drop before I get any more.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I attended our local gun show yesterday evening. That is where I usually buy the primers I need. One vendor had 4 boxes of Winchester large rifle primers, and one box of Winchester shot shell primers. Another vendor that I have bought from in the past had absolutely NO primers.

Boolit Master
    Stopped looking. Have not stopped casting, loading and shooting though. Felt lucky to pick a couple boxes of 9mm hp at Scheel's in Eau Claire last week. Also picked up some .38 & .44 XTP j-words just to have on hand. Back ordered 500 .38 special cases from Starline. They are out of most common pistol brass but are replacing it fast.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-03-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

I just found out yesterday that a gun show planned for Oct 10, 20 min from my house, has been cancelled. No reason given.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I have found 1000 here or there in pennsy the last couple months. Last I bought were small magnum pistol...not ideal but they will work for me. Got lucky . What I see on the shelf if anything is large rifle mag primers.

Boolit Master

As of last Thurs at noon, there were 4 boxes of CCI .50 primers sitting on top of the reloading display at Old Glory Guns And Ammo in Greenville, NH. Sorry I didn't think to mention it before.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Been piling components since the last shortage, So I’m well set.
    Will be posting excess cowboy brass in swap& well next month.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Besides just enjoying the heck out of the science and black art of casting and reloading, It was previous runs on factory ammo that brought me into this end of the hobby. First it was reloading then a potential shortage of factory projectiles that lead me into casting. At the rate I am shooting, I have a beyond lifetime supply of lead and alloying materials even if I do run through my deep inventory of factory projectiles. I will never wear out all of the brass I have already on hand and it will be years before I run out of powder or primers. However, I will be buying more primers when this current situation eases. That is the closest I am to a weak link in my ammo supply chain.There are almost no primers, anywhere, for any price unless you shoot shotgun or 50BMG. Lol.

The shortages this time around are much deeper than they were in 2016. I am amazed that powder seems to be readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I don't know that there is any plan to buy up ammo to make it unavailable (like others, to me it seems that the scarcity is driven by civil unrest in combination with cyclic election concerns causing increased demand and CoVid shutdowns impacting production). What I was getting at is my impression that the antigun crowd out here seems to be trying an end run around 2A rights with various ammo laws.
    Thanks Kevin. I better understand what you were saying now. And yes ammo laws could be very effective in controlling arms.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of SPP, that I spent way too much on, sitting here that I'm trying to trade for LRP. I did find someone many hours away offering 1,500 LRP for 1,000 SPP.

Even considering an AR-9 build since I can load more of them than anything else.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

I am still working mostly with the 50,000+ primers I bought when Obama first got elected. If Biden wins I will be looking for another 50 to 100 thou.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Ditto on the 50K+ Obama stash. I replaced what I shot and have added more over the last year. The questions are: How many to stockpile to last the rest of my lifetime, shooting perhaps another 25 years? Secondly, how much more powder should I store, and of which types? It's much easier to store primers in .50 Cal ammo boxes than to store powder in bulk. Short of acquiring a shot tower, I've almost attained my goal of being able to cast for everything I have.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast