Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

Boolit Master

Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

Title says it. I am not yet in a bad way, but I have a number of new reloaders I am helping who are. Has anyone found anything in stock online?

Boolit Master
    The only ones I have seen in the last couple months around here have been LR primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The lefties will not have to take your guns. They scare all these stupid hoarders into buying up everything in sight and then nobody can reload to feed their guns.

Period. End of story. What good is our 2nd without ammo. I guess you can always throw your gun or beat them over the head with it! While the criminals/ANTIFA/BLM anarchists will still have plenty of ammo.......furnished by Soros and his evil minions.

Boolit Master

It just seems odd that NOBODY has been getting re stocked. I get that CCI and others probably make much higher profit margins on loaded ammo, but it just feels screwy. Last panics some places like powder valley would at least get a few cases every month or so.

I had picked up the last 4 bricks of CCI SR primers at my Walmart maybe 6 weeks ago. They still had 4 bricks of LR when I bought them. Stopped on my way home from work today, and sure enough, there were still 4 bricks sitting there. Figured I had given anyone needy a fair enough shot. Took 3 of the 4.

Boolit Master

I suspect all the primers are being diverted to the big ammo makers. We get whatever is left over which is currently nothing. Lucky for me I stocked up just before the insanity and those primers actually were boxed and labeled for commercial use.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's suspect it is all about margins.

If a company can sell ammunition it has more "value added" so primers will go there first. Then, any they cannot use, will go to either the companies that sell reloaded ammunition or distributors. I have seen 9mm FMJ selling for $30/box and 5.56 FMJ for $1000/case. Hard to believe!!! If it was your business, where would you direct primer production?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It's suspect it is all about margins.

If a company can sell ammunition it has more "value added" so primers will go there first. Then, any they cannot use, will go to either the companies that sell reloaded ammunition or distributors. I have seen 9mm FMJ selling for $30/box and 5.56 FMJ for $1000/case. Hard to believe!!! If it was your business, where would you direct primer production?
    If it were "MY BUSINESS" I would be hiring more people, directing 24 hour, 7 day a week production of primers (+),and expand the shop space to meet demand. Of course; when demand drops of I would reduce to 8/40 shifts (and less if required), and put expanded shop space into moth balls.

Of course; I have had a diverse life starting with "YES; I PICKED COTTON by hand when very young" and learned that harvesting crops, making hay, and making a profit required immediate and long committed hours when an opportunity comes to exploit that opportunity (as well as tightening the belt and making do when times are bad). I also took "Formal" learning in life that reinforced my early education (BBA/MS/MBA).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    My (semi) local Bass Pro had two bricks of LR magnums and a brick of 209s with a limit of 200 primers per sale. Aside from that I’ve found nothing in the last few months. I have alerts set for Grafs but nothing is coming up yet. I’m not desperate yet but I’d feel better if I had another brick of each type.

Boolit Mold
    I have been able to get large pistol magnum and small pistol magnum primers. Large rifle are easy to find, large pistol kind of easy to find, small pistol and small rifle are exceedingly difficult to get, have to call around every day and/or drop in the stores frequently.

Boolit Master

Like last time (when Ohbummer was in office) if you want to reload go out and buy a 300 win mag stuff on the selves for that but nothing for smaller.

Found some small pistol magnum primers for a few friends that just got into reloading. They just back off powder charge .3 grains and they work fine in 9mm.

Boolit Master
    just got 4k today from a lgs but im afraid thats the end around here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    If it were "MY BUSINESS" I would be hiring more people, directing 24 hour, 7 day a week production of primers (+),and expand the shop space to meet demand. Of course; when demand drops of I would reduce to 8/40 shifts (and less if required), and put expanded shop space into moth balls.
    But that doesn’t work for something like primers. You’ll spend $100,000,000 on the specialized facility and then you’ll have to find employees who know how to use all that equipment or spend huge sums training them. By the time you can sell the first primer from this new line, demand will have dropped off a cliff and your old facilities capacity will be adequate. Now your stuck paying for a new facility that’s not being used and creditors are pounding on your doors. Hello bankruptcy!

Boolit Master
    If looking for primers I think you’ll have better luck finding stuff locally vs online. Call all your local stores ask if they have anything in stock. They’ll say nope. Now politely ask them when they might get some more back in stock. If the person on the phone is knowledgeable and helpful there’s a good chance they’ll tell you when they get restocked. Call back at that time and repeat the process. Back in 2013 I was able to find all powders and primers I needed rather quickly using this method when I starting reloading.

Buying online right now is just a matter of setting up “Notify me when in stock” alerts or just perusing reloading websites on hourly (or more frequent) basis. Online you’ll be fighting against scalpers who are buying and reselling along with everyone else who’s looking.

Boolit Master
    Hello? Covid shutdown?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

They did that with the last big panic. Most stated they will not do that again since after the panic they the market was so flat after the panic they lost significant amounts of money due to the increased costs of the expanded operations. That was this spring so they may have changed positions based on on the new gun owners.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Of course; I have had a diverse life starting with "YES; I PICKED COTTON by hand when very young" and learned that harvesting crops, making hay, and making a profit required immediate and long committed hours when an opportunity comes to exploit that opportunity (as well as tightening the belt and making do when times are bad). I also took "Formal" learning in life that reinforced my early education (BBA/MS/MBA).
    I have been in manufacturing most of my life and it is not that easy. We were set up to run 24/7 during our peak months and dialed back when things got slow. Once running 24/7 there is nothing that can be done.

Successful companies do not invest in overcapacity. It is capital intensive and the economics do not work. It made more sense for us to invest in warehousing and at times we rented space to stockpile inventory in anticipation the peaks. Not sure what the regulations are for stocking piling millions of primers so that may not make sense. With primers lasing indefinitely, it is a viable solution if insurance and regulatory constraints can be met.

We also ran up inventory before contract negotiations. Helped in more than one way.

We only added capacity when we could forecast market growth or the exiting of a competitor. Short term demand spikes, like this one, would not trigger investing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    As with most of these shortages, when the supply catches back up the price will magically settle at around $50/thousand and most of us will just be happy to get them. With 9mm ammo selling for a buck a round, that's where the primers are going. Finite capacity to produce, follow the money.

Boolit Buddy

I picked up 1000 small pistol primers at my local gunshop 2 weeks ago. They got in 1 shipment, limited the quantity to 1000 per customer and were still out by the end of business that same day. Just happened to be at the right place at the right moment. Crazy times.

Boolit Master
    Shotgun primers and LR magnum at Jay's in Gaylord, Michigan last week. Limiting quantities to 400 at a time.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast