RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I see this over, and over. Not only that, but people get upset if you score any! I spoke of buying the last 4 bricks at my Walmart a month or so ago. They had been sitting there on the shelf since spring. I got 3-4 nasty comments of "Way to screw the next guy" and "What, going to sell them on Gunbroker for $200?" I swear, some grown men can be such babies.
    yup some take it personal when someone trys to educate them and because there pride gets in the way want to turn that education into something personal. Id bet some of the guys that have run out will be the same ones when this happens again (and it will) being on the side of the people who had the sense to make getting stocked up a priority instead of some chrome for there harley or pickup or a new golf club.

Comical thing is ive got a guy i worked with that during the last shortage came over and bummed some 22 shells to take his kid to camp. I gave him a brick and said have fun. About 6 months ago he called me and asked me if i had any 22 shells he could buy. I LAUGHED at him. Hes got a 200k house a nice truck and car a 4 wheeler and two snowmobiles but was to tight to buy a half a dozen bricks of 22 shells. If you take this education as bragging or gloating then youll be in the same predicament 10 years from now when it happens again. Hanzys post hit it on the head. Its hard to admit you were wrong and its easier to be a baby and cry. Id bet none of you here are under 18 years old and sure shouldn't need me to educate you and its not my job to do so. But here you are. But to come here and say this shortage is the first or unprecedented is ridiculous. If your out you should be chastising yourself not someone here. You darned sure should have known better and next time your in walmart and they have 22 shells put the steak and beer back and buy some 22 shells.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Shotgun primers and LR magnum at Jay's in Gaylord, Michigan last week. Limiting quantities to 400 at a time.
    he rick if your ever in there and they have and will part with cases of small rifle or pistol pm me. Its hardly worth the drive all the way down there unless i can come out with 3 or 4 cases.

Boolit Master
    During good times the store owners all ways thanked me for supporting them and buying stock so they could pay the bills.

Aaron

The thing that kills me is percussion caps. Yeah, I got a good stock of them too, but why hoard those? Head scratcher...

Moderator Emeritus

Lets say that you manufacture primers. You probably also make ammo. Both are flying off the shelf at record paces. Your ammo makes you 22% return on investment[number pulled out of the air]. Your primers do also. Are you going to sell just primers and let the divisions of your company that assemble, box and process ammo, manufacture powder and bullets set idle? As has been the case in the past reloaders who compete with the ammo manufactures will be the last to get taken care of. The only exception would be if primers were now earning 55% return on investment. Primers are up but I am not sure is is as large a rise as ammo.
    This is a hobby where you absolutely have to plan for surges in supply.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Lets say that you manufacture primers. You probably also make ammo. Both are flying off the shelf at record paces. Your ammo makes you 22% return on investment[number pulled out of the air]. Your primers do also. Are you going to sell just primers and let the divisions of your company that assemble, box and process ammo, manufacture powder and bullets set idle? As has been the case in the past reloaders who compete with the ammo manufactures will be the last to get taken care of. The only exception would be if primers were now earning 55% return on investment. Primers are up but I am not sure is is as large a rise as ammo.
    This is a hobby where you absolutely have to plan for surges in supply.
    In theory, what you just said sort of makes sense, but if true, then there should be plenty of ammo on the shelves. WHERE IS IT??

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I truly feel sorry for those new folks on here just now getting into casting and loading. Heck, you cannot even find comm-loaded ammo in stores unless you are VERY lucky and you take a 2nd on your house. Our supplies are almost non-existent. I am personally very fortunate to have stashed away many 10's of thousands of primers, dozens of large bottles of good powders, and over 2 tons of Pb and alloys, and enough brass (range pick-ups) to last me a lifetime.

Good luck on your quest out there. As Hidin' Biden recently said............"we are in for a long dark winter" (x4 I am afraid!)

banger

Quote Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
    The thing that kills me is percussion caps. Yeah, I got a good stock of them too, but why hoard those? Head scratcher...
    I wonder if they compete with primers for production capacity? If so, I assume that manufacturers won't have much reason to do a run of caps for a long time as they try to catch up with primer and ammo demand.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned

None of you owe anyone an apology for planning ahead. Remember the old adage, no one plans to fail, they just fail to plan. I didn't stock up on as many primers as you guys did. But that is because I don't shoot as much as y'all do. I have plenty of my components on hand for my families shooting needs for at least a couple years. Anyone who didn't see this shortage coming and isn't a beginner in hand loading, just didn't pat attention in the last several election years. On top of that we have this COVID thing going on that exacerbates the situation.
    I personally would like to compliment you guys who planned ahead for the current shortage. I did, but my error was not paying attention to the ammo I bought at an LGS with small rifle primers. They were 6.5 CM rounds from Federal (FC headstamp). Everything else I have is LRP's. The good news for me is it was only 100 rounds. So I'll keep them on hand till this is over. I'm not upset, and I'm definitely not upset that you gentlemen were farsighted enough to stock up on your components, kudos!
    All that being said, if anyone near Quincy, IL has 100 or so small rifle primers they could sell at a decent price I'm open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup some take it personal when someone trys to educate them and because there pride gets in the way want to turn that education into something personal. Id bet some of the guys that have run out will be the same ones when this happens again (and it will) being on the side of the people who had the sense to make getting stocked up a priority instead of some chrome for there harley or pickup or a new golf

Comical thing is ive got a guy i worked with that during the last shortage came over and bummed some 22 shells to take his kid to camp. I gave him a brick and said have fun. About 6 months ago he called me and asked me if i had any 22 shells he could buy. I LAUGHED at him. Hes got a 200k house a nice truck and car a 4 wheeler and two snowmobiles but was to tight to buy a half a dozen bricks of 22 shells. If you take this education as bragging or gloating then youll be in the same predicament 10 years from now when it happens again. Hanzys post hit it on the head. Its hard to admit you were wrong and its easier to be a baby and cry. Id bet none of you here are under 18 years old and sure shouldn't need me to educate you and its not my job to do so. But here you are. But to come here and say this shortage is the first or unprecedented is ridiculous. If your out you should be chastising yourself not someone here. You darned sure should have known better and next time your in walmart and they have 22 shells put the steak and beer back and buy some 22 shells.
    club.

Agree 100 percent. If you have been in this game for 5 years or more there is no excuse for not stocking up in times of plenty. Call me a hoarder or whatever but I purchased when product was everywhere and on special. I am shooting as much as I want right now and can for a long long time. This will pass. Learn from it and do not get caught with your pants down next time. If you are new to the game, it just plain sucks. It caught me years ago and I learned. Good luck

In theory, what you just said sort of makes sense, but if true, then there should be plenty of ammo on the shelves. WHERE IS IT??
    Where is it?? My local shop sells ammo as soon as it hits the shelf. It's in the hands of those who purchase it. And my local shop is like ever shop in the country I guess, they have plenty ordered & waiting. Those factories can only make so much & all they make is being purchased. The old stock here was sold mostly in a week or so. That is demand & that demand is country wide. At least that's how I see it.

If you buy online you almost have to buy in bulk in order for it to pay.
    The hazmat is the same for 100 primers or 10,000
    If you buy powder the same holds true.
    And who the heck buys .22 shells by the 50 rnd box?
    The last time I did that I was a poor farm kid that sold dressed out rabbits for 50 cents apiece to fund my .22 shells.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I still have, somewhere (!) in my collection from the "golden olden daze" of my childhood in Iowa, a couple boxes of .22LR's of the Western Auto brand. 50 in a box - - and the price (hand written on box by the store) is 25¢. I could walk in and by them after school for a weekend's fun outing in the rolling hills of southern Iowa.

My how times have changed.

banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I still have, somewhere (!) in my collection from the "golden olden daze" of my childhood in Iowa, a couple boxes of .22LR's of the Western Auto brand. 50 in a box - - and the price (hand written on box by the store) is 25¢. I could walk in and by them after school for a weekend's fun outing in the rolling hills of southern Iowa.

My how times have changed.

banger
    and growing up; there were a variety of Gas Stations and Mom & Pop local convenience/butcher shop stores where the kids (4or 5 and up) could buy .22's at 1 cent each or at times 2 for a penny out of the box. We (kids in general) would walk the bar ditches looking for soda pop bottles to take back to the store to trade for candy/gum or even .22's to go shoot with. For some of us; those were the good ole days. Helicopter Parenting and school/government intervention in family lives had not been invented yet.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-16-2020 at 08:29 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112