WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

My local shops say January for small pistol, ugh

Boolit Buddy
    I was at one of the local places I buy reloading stuff from on Saturday, he had tens of thousands of primers, but they are $45.00 per 1000. don't really need any that bad, but did spend 1/2 hour in the bullet room. brought home 500 224 sp's. I always like the bullet room, the size of a decent bedroom, wall to wall floor to top of wall bullets on shelves, bullets on the floor. makes me smile.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master
    An acquaintance at my shooting club had bought a bunch of primers of all sizes in an estate sale several years ago and back in the Winter offered SPPs for $17/1000. I told him I’d take them (he only had 3000) but didn’t hear from him again until yesterday, so I thought I’d missed out. Yesterday he showed up at a club meeting and had me come out to his truck to pick up the primers he’d saved for me. He still was expecting $17/1000, but I was so grateful I paid him $20/1000 and made him extra happy as well. I really wasn’t that low on SPPs and these were CCIs, but they make up a sort of cushion until things get back to “normal.” I can use them in my 9mm Smiths since they’re a little too hard for my revolvers.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Our local guy always has several hundred or 1,000 of each on the shelf at about $4. per hundred.
    I don't know how big his stash is, or how he's resupplied, but he seems to keep out enough to do what ya want to do,
    but no one person is going to come in and clean him out either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My local gun shop rations out Small Rifle per visit. They'll give you 200 at a time. But there are Large Rifle and ShotShell primers...
    So, just gonna have to defend your house from either 300 yards out or 10 feet in.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    My club has primers in stock, but is limiting sales to 1K per customer. The manager said he needs to limit sales to avoid the buying in panic/hoarding quantities that would empty the storage area in very short order, and because the price has been kept low, he doesn't want the more enterprising souls to do the Walmart parking lot gouging thing when the intent is to get members through this tough spell without emptying their wallets. Similarly, I've helped out a couple friends, selling them primers at cost, but I'm rethinking my approach, not in terms of price (I'm not quite the cold hearted capitalist that'd sell at current GB auction prices), but how many and how often.

When the ammo panic ends there will be plenty of primers. Same as last time & when they stop moving they will go on sale & according to how long that is I might purchase a few. If you're needing primers today it might be a hard search.

Boolit Buddy
    All the local places by me are bought up, did find some loaded ammo though, was a bit piggy about it but I don’t make it down to that store very often to play by the rules, and buy 2 boxes a day lol. Was able to work out with my dad to be able to round up some 380, 9mm and 270 ammo

Sorry, but I haven't been looking for them. I still have enough to run me for at least another four years at current consumption rates not including loaded ammo.

Boolit Master
    At current consumption rates I could live forever and never run out.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

A couple weeks ago, I was at the oldest gun shop in my area. I have never seen so many people in that place, where I have been going since 1980. Managed to pick up a set of 45ACP dies and 500 cast 230 grain RN boolits. They didn't have any boolit moulds. An old timer next to me asked if they had any primers. The salesman literally laughed out loud.

From what I read online, ammo manufactures are cranking out all the ammo they can to meet demand. That is what is using up the primer supply. It is what it is. Remember the .22 rimfire ammo shortage? Eventually it ended and we all stocked up. This shortage will end too. When it does, buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still using primers that I bought just before the "Assault Weapons Ban" went into effect. Continued to stock up as sales and extra cash permitted. At this point I suspect that I will have enough primers to last me until I reach my 160th birthday.

The old story of the ant and the grasshopper comes to mind.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    Remember the .22 rimfire ammo shortage? Eventually it ended and we all stocked up.
    The prices never dropped though. We all remember the days of 2 or 3 cents per .22LR. Then they forced us to accept 7 or 8 cents as the norm. Heck that's what I considered the norm for 9mm.

I paid too much for SPP from a member liquidating everything but I've got enough to reload pistol rounds for years to come. I need to post on armslist and see if anyone local wants to trade for some LPP or SRP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Was in a gun store this past Friday and they said they were expecting 300K primers in this week. $50/k is their price

Boolit Bub
    I have not seen any small pistol primers in 5 weeks. Maybe 7 sleeves of LR primers and down to 2 sleeves of shotgun primes left at the one store by me.
    Even Remington gold .22's are $4.85 per 50 rounds now.

Moderator Emeritus

there was plenty from several vendors at the local gunshow last weekend.
    I bought a brick of CCI LPP and some cards (100 ea) of vintage "staynless" winchester LPP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    The lefties will not have to take your guns. They scare all these stupid hoarders into buying up everything in sight and then nobody can reload to feed their guns.

Period. End of story. What good is our 2nd without ammo. I guess you can always throw your gun or beat them over the head with it! While the criminals/ANTIFA/BLM anarchists will still have plenty of ammo.......furnished by Soros and his evil minions.
    My philosophy exactly! They have tried and failed to take our guns, so they are taking our ammo instead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    But that doesn’t work for something like primers. You’ll spend $100,000,000 on the specialized facility and then you’ll have to find employees who know how to use all that equipment or spend huge sums training them. By the time you can sell the first primer from this new line, demand will have dropped off a cliff and your old facilities capacity will be adequate. Now your stuck paying for a new facility that’s not being used and creditors are pounding on your doors. Hello bankruptcy!

Your description is similar to the arguments for "JIT" (Just In Time) manufacturing and distribution. Works great as long as everything flows at a constant rate. The train goes off the rails if it slows or demand accelerates. We as a Nation offshore our Drug and Medical facility productions; predominantly to China and look at where that got us - inability to get/make WoHoo Masks, Respirators, medical gowns, pharmaceuticals, etc...

As to your observation on production of primers and a $100,000,000.00 facility cost.
    (1) A day is 24 hours, and a week is 7 days. The facility is operating below capacity if not operated 24/7. Quite acceptable in order to provide "Surge Capacity" by adding overtime or additional shifts up to 24/7 to meet up and down trend requirements; or reducing down below a single shift when sales are bad.

(2) Training of staff. This is always a challenge for any operation be it picking cotton by hand in the field, making primers, providing medical services, building battleships, or in heavily regulated industries such as the nuclear power/weapons arena. It is a foolish management team that limits themselves to staff on hand only; with no ability to surge operations through overtime; or a plan to hire/train and expand operations (often splitting the core workers to lead/manage the expansion teams).

(3) Expanding an existing facility that cost $100,000,000.00 to expand operations requires additional expenditure ; but no where near a duplication of the cost for the original facility.

Lastly; I worked in the environments of 1,2, and 3 above for decades. I am available to "Fix the Problem" should any producer of primers, powder, our.... need consultation or a "Turn Over" expert. The problems we see are generally driven by what I call the Yarvard MBA's - a misdirected philosophy driven by the MBA programs of Harvard, Yale, UCLA, et.al. that are focused on short term profits, breaking up companies that are "Worth More as Parts than as a Whole", and many other flaws that focus on short term (usually personal) gain for the Senior Management rather than the long term success of the enterprise and benefit go the average stock holder (not just the super stockholders, Board, and Senior Management)
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 09-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    My philosophy exactly! They have tried and failed to take our guns, so they are taking our ammo instead.
    Are you saying there is a push by the left to buy up the ammo from here out to keep us from having ammo? Do you feel that is what's happening at present? Is that how they are taking our ammo? Just trying to understand yours & others philosophy. Sounds interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Are you saying there is a push by the left to buy up the ammo from here out to keep us from having ammo? Do you feel that is what's happening at present? Is that how they are taking our ammo? Just trying to understand yours & others philosophy. Sounds interesting.
    I guess you don't live in California...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast