Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Found Primers In Stock........Anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    If it were "MY BUSINESS" I would be hiring more people, directing 24 hour, 7 day a week production of primers (+),and expand the shop space to meet demand. Of course; when demand drops of I would reduce to 8/40 shifts (and less if required), and put expanded shop space into moth balls.

Of course; I have had a diverse life starting with "YES; I PICKED COTTON by hand when very young" and learned that harvesting crops, making hay, and making a profit required immediate and long committed hours when an opportunity comes to exploit that opportunity (as well as tightening the belt and making do when times are bad). I also took "Formal" learning in life that reinforced my early education (BBA/MS/MBA).
    Well you wouldnt because its cyclical. In 2012-13 primer manuf did go 24-7 but held off building new facilities. This is a bit diff. With covid, they really cant run 24-7. it would require time between shifts to completely clean & sterilize, every day, every shift. Otherwise they set themselves up for lawsuits. No this is diff. All pistol primers are going into ammo.
    I doubt hoarders are causing this. There are 25M new handgun owners, probably as any new rifle owners. If everyone just got 100rds of ammo with their new toy, that is 2.5B rds. Then add in al the regular buyers that are adding to their supplies. Then add all the govt contracts for ammo. Then throw in the icing, which is the election. This wont go away until well after Jan & that is if Trump wins. If Biden wins, I dont see any let up, maybe next year about this time we see primers, maybe.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    there was plenty from several vendors at the local gunshow last weekend.
    I bought a brick of CCI LPP and some cards (100 ea) of vintage "staynless" winchester LPP.
    Well plenty is relative & without cost, irrelevant. if you found old ss Win, then you bought primers from the early 90s that cost maybe $10/1000.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I guess you don't live in California...
    No Sir, I don't live in California so guess I'm not up on that state. I just find it interesting that the left is buying ammo to take it from us. First I've heard of it but guess if they have enough money that will work.

The Great Plains North of the Platte River
    My local, 1 man, gun shop had 1k large pistol mag in stock that I grabbed. Paid $35. I asked the owner when he might get some SP or SR in and he replied "No idea. Anything that even looks like a primer is scarce."

That said, he did have a decent supply of LR and shotgun.

Boolit Master

I am eager to get to a gun show. They canceled most in my area until the last 6 weeks or so, and my schedule hasn't permitted me to go. I expect to see some available in the $60-$80 range.

Boolit Buddy
    Its not unusual for primers and things to be out around election time but we hit a triple whamy here:

1. Election year (high demand)
    2. COVID19 (poor manufacturing and supply)
    3. Antifa/Burn Loot Murder riots. (high demand)

Combination of those 3 is going to linger for a while I'm afraid. Good thing I found stuff on sale in the spring right before covid hit so I'm good .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Well you wouldnt because its cyclical. In 2012-13 primer manuf did go 24-7 but held off building new facilities. This is a bit diff. With covid, they really cant run 24-7. it would require time between shifts to completely clean & sterilize, every day, every shift. Otherwise they set themselves up for lawsuits. No this is diff. All pistol primers are going into ammo.
    I doubt hoarders are causing this. There are 25M new handgun owners, probably as any new rifle owners. If everyone just got 100rds of ammo with their new toy, that is 2.5B rds. Then add in al the regular buyers that are adding to their supplies. Then add all the govt contracts for ammo. Then throw in the icing, which is the election. This wont go away until well after Jan & that is if Trump wins. If Biden wins, I dont see any let up, maybe next year about this time we see primers, maybe.
    fredj338 nailed it.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    No Sir, I don't live in California so guess I'm not up on that state. I just find it interesting that the left is buying ammo to take it from us. First I've heard of it but guess if they have enough money that will work.
    It is only a theory, but considering that firearms and ammo sales have been steadily increasing every single month for several years now, don't try to tell me that the manufacturers did not see the hand writing on the wall and increase production to satisfy the demand. When you have guys like George Soros footing the bill, ammo hoarding is quite likely, and if the bad guys have all the ammo, your guns are totally useless, and you cannot fight back.

Boolit Buddy
    I scored the mother load recently. A friend from out of state just got into reloading and found a small LGS with primers on the shelf. My friend was in and out of that shop a number of times over the last couple months and would always ask if I needed anything. Primers was always on the list. He was limited how many he could get on any given trip. When he came to visit last week he dropped off 6,000. There were 2 boxes each of SP, SPMagnum, and SR. All of them were priced $35 /thousand. Maybe 6000 primers isn't the mother load for some folks, but it will keep me going for a while.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    Its not unusual for primers and things to be out around election time but we hit a triple whamy here:

1. Election year (high demand)
    2. COVID19 (poor manufacturing and supply)
    3. Antifa/Burn Loot Murder riots. (high demand)

Combination of those 3 is going to linger for a while I'm afraid. Good thing I found stuff on sale in the spring right before covid hit so I'm good .
    We have a winner here.

Stop shooting if you are low on ammo or reloading supplies.
    You will need the ammo later and may not be able to restock before that need arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Years ago I read a story (prolly the American Rifleman) on how primers are made. The cups are laid in a form and then a worker with a plastic spatula smears the moist priming compound across the form and into the cups. Those employees with a real talent and ability, are the ones selected to do the match primers also.

I haven't seen any stories on the subject recently, and so it could be that the process has been completely modernized and streamlined with robots and conveyor belts. If it's still done the old fashioned way though, well don't hold your breath.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Saw 5000 WW 209 primers at LGS on Saturday.

Winger - might have to drive down there sometime, could use a brick of CCI SRP.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    This might be true in California, but not true in most of the country. Minnesota, where Federal primers are made, does not require a business to shut down. The company I work at always has, and is still running 3 shifts. We also run most of Saturday, and open early Sunday. There is less than 16 hours we are closed in an average week, and that is not because of any regulation. Our sanitizing is done every shift, while people are working.

No, what we have here is a plain and simple high demand, with a supply that hasn't caught up yet. It's not a matter of hiring more workers. I never worked at Federal, but I'm guessing they are already running the machinery they have to their potential. Investing in more machinery only for these surges is not a good business strategy. We are not talking about buying a new oven here. When you get into real industrial equipment, the cost is measured in millions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This might be true in California, but not true in most of the country. Minnesota, where Federal primers are made, does not require a business to shut down. The company I work at always has, and is still running 3 shifts. We also run most of Saturday, and open early Sunday. There is less than 16 hours we are closed in an average week, and that is not because of any regulation. Our sanitizing is done every shift, while people are working.

No, what we have here is a plain and simple high demand, with a supply that hasn't caught up yet. It's not a matter of hiring more workers. I never worked at Federal, but I'm guessing they are already running the machinery they have to their potential. Investing in more machinery only for these surges is not a good business strategy. We are not talking about buying a new oven here. When you get into real industrial equipment, the cost is measured in millions.
    But it really is NOT a surge in demand. The demand has been steadily increasing month by month for about 4 years now, ever since it looked like Hillary might get elected, and the demand is not likely to drop off even AFTER Trump gets elected for another 4 years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

Not sure the analysis of "Not worth investing in the surge is worth it" is valid.

In 2018 there were 8,100,000,000 (8.1 billion) rounds of ammunition manufactured in the US. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...of-ammo-a-year

Each round has a primer; and at an average retail price of 3.5 cents that translates to $283.5 Million dollars retail in primer value. Making primers for a corporation is fairly cheap (when capital machinery and plant costs are discounted). Assuming 25% in direct costs (mfg, pkg, labor, shipping) and a 25% mark up for distributor/retail operations; it still leaves $141.75 Million. If we see only a surge of 10% demand increase in 2019 & 2020; that means a ~$30 Million increase in primer cash flow to the manufacturers. On the surface; looks to me like there is a case for a more detailed analysis of the viability of expanding primer production by the Ammunition industry - using more actual numbers in the analysis.

By the way; anecdotally - it appears there is a much greater expansion of Ammunition (by inference primers) demand than 10% in 2019 and 2020.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Winger - might have to drive down there sometime, could use a brick of CCI SRP.
    I'd call ahead just to make sure they got what ya want on the shelf, it is "On Target" in Mabank.
    There's not a huge number of reloaders here, but they take pretty good care of us.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

There is nothing in stock anywhere

Banned
    Just got this from CCI:

Good afternoon

We are working 24/7 to try and keep up with demand
    With ammunition in high demand, reloading went into high demand.
    Once product hits the shelves it is sold within minutes therefore it is really hard to say where it might be available.

Thank you

Premium365 – Shooting Sports
    Vista Outdoor
    Premium365@vistaoutdoor.com
    1-866-223-9388

From: noreply@cci-ammunition.com <noreply@cci-ammunition.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:52 PM
    To: Premium 365 <Premium365@VistaOutdoor.com>
    Subject: CCI Contact Us – Where to Buy

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast