RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: need help with slug load data for .410

Boolit Master

need help with slug load data for .410

as the title states:

i could use some help starting off a load for the .410 single shot using the ballistic products round ball/wad combo.

i bought 100 of these AND their small bore manual they recommended.

unfortunately it does not have the powders i have/use for the .410

i use 2400 for 1/2 ounce shot loads according to the charge table that came with the lee loader (whack a mole).

i've been happy with that setup for almost a decade now.

i'd like to be able to use 2400 for these 1/4 ounce wad/ball combos but not sure where to start.

i have unique as well that i use for 20ga and .357 but that's probably not the best direction.

thanks for any help,
    'monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

The BPI Thug Slug Manual lists 8 gr of Unique for a .410 Thug Slug for @1400 fps.

Your ball and wad combo weighs the same, so you should be fine with that.

No loads for H110 or 2400 listed.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

thanks for the reply!

i had waffled over the thug slugs too long and they went out of stock.
    (the thug slug brochure was already out of stock though)

i appreciate the help.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

just wanted to check back in.

i loaded a 'box' of ball/carrier into cheddite pre primed hulls.

i used my lee loader with a 1.0 powder dipper of unique.
    the 'crimp' ended up being a folded down into the hull type of crimp.
    i'll probably look into a roll crimp drill attachment for the next batch.

function and accuracy were fine.

i shot at a 6" steel gong 40 yards and rang it 5 out of 5.

(i have a permanent box blind over a small food plot for archery season. 20~35 yard shots.)

thanks again!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Honda 919

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    thanks for the reply!

i had waffled over the thug slugs too long and they went out of stock.
    (the thug slug brochure was already out of stock though)

i appreciate the help.
    Hi I'm not sure about the Thug Slug brochure you're after, but I know the couple of manuals I was after on Ballistic Products was out of stock too but after searching their site a little more I found where they had my manuals available for download and so I had to go through that means of getting them. Nice having the data in front of me but is certainly bs that theyre charge the same cost for the printed manual as they do the downloads of them... now I'll have nearly a 32.00 ink cartridge to print out the approx 200 pages combined from both manuals

If you're interested in and happen to find the Thug Slug brochure in download form on their website, I didn't get my manual's downloads sent to me for 5 days until I then had to call and ask them why I haven't either receive the email or received somewhere in my Ballistic Product's account whereby getting the link to download my manuals. It was Eric, a manager at Ballistic Products, who eventually had to manually send me the manuals to my email address and said they were having issues with their automated system which should have already sent the manual's download link to the buyer's email address and especially since we both confirmed it wasn't an issue of me providing an incorrect email address
    Last edited by Get-The-Lead-Out; 10-02-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Master

thanks!

i saw their downloadable products as well.

what happened was i bought their round ball/carrier combo AND the printed manual they said had the load data in it.

the printed manual i received was several editions OLDER and had no data for any slug or 1/4 ounce load.

i didn't buy the thug slugs so wasn't needing their thug slug brochure/manual.
    i was just referencing it.

thanks to w.r.buchanan, i have a serviceable load for the components i have.

sweet!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Good stuff thanks for the thread!

I dont have a slug mold for 410. I do have a couple ball molds that are appropriate.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I used 8.0 gr. unique in a Cheddite hull with the Svarog Diablo slug. Slug + wads weigh same as Thug Slug with its wad. Svarog is tons more accurate. Velocity is 1250 fps out of my 24" Henry. I consider 8.0 gr. Unique as maximum. Just 9.5 gr. got 1600 fps and bulging brass.

Best load yet was 12 gr. Blue Dot w/Same Svarog setup. Roll Crimp and Win. 209 primer. 1550 fps too. Same great accuracy as 8.0 gr. Unique load mentioned above. Velocities weren't at all the same as in Ballistic Products data. Be careful! My Chrono appears to be on the money with many other loads tested. Best accuracy was with Skeet choke installed. Have a 4X12 Bushnell Banner mounted just to check accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I weighed buck shot pellets..worked out how many = 1/2 and 3/4 oz and just replaced birdshot wit hcorrect number of buckshot balls..left everything else the same. the few of them Ive fired into target impress with accuracy and lack of spread,its almost like pellets slipstream each other.

Start here:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load02102023.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Subscribed... I mostly use brass case 410, and 1/2 oz of 7-1/2's. But, one load is what I call 3 Ball.. 3, .32 cal balls,, along with enough 7-1/2's to "take up the wasted space". I don't crimp these... just a wax wad over the end. 7 gr of Unique is OK for now. fair to good pattern on 12" x 12" "box" at 25 - 30 yards...yes, all 3 balls fall on the "box" but not in center...
    Excuse the Drift... Just explaination of my endeavor.. Leaning toward a 220 gr SWC in the TC 45/410 at some point, and Heard tell of a 13gr Trail Boss load!!!! No Wad tho... so there is that.

Boolit Master

Just made this today as a specail request from a couple viewers.

https://youtu.be/NY-sOMkHyz0
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I used 8.0 gr. unique in a Cheddite hull with the Svarog Diablo slug. Slug + wads weigh same as Thug Slug with its wad. Svarog is tons more accurate. Velocity is 1250 fps out of my 24" Henry. I consider 8.0 gr. Unique as maximum. Just 9.5 gr. got 1600 fps and bulging brass.

Best load yet was 12 gr. Blue Dot w/Same Svarog setup. Roll Crimp and Win. 209 primer. 1550 fps too. Same great accuracy as 8.0 gr. Unique load mentioned above. Velocities weren't at all the same as in Ballistic Products data. Be careful! My Chrono appears to be on the money with many other loads tested. Best accuracy was with Skeet choke installed. Have a 4X12 Bushnell Banner mounted just to check accuracy.
    Made it back out to the range with my Henry levergun/skeet choke/Bushnell 4X12 and all else same except new load. This one is best so far. Had some Win. HS hulls and a new NOE Diablo mold. Mine came out at 139 gr. although advertised at 125 gr. Scale is on the money. I sized them .411" and used 15.5 gr. Lil Gun (#17 Little Dandy rotor), a BPI stump wad + 1/8" nitro card + 3/8" Precision Feltwad + 1/8" Nitro under the slug. The slugs were powder coated. I put a roll crimp onto the 2-1/2" folded crimp case-Precision roll crimper rolled perfect crimp. Put a smear of hot glue for maybe a little more resistance. At 50 yds. there were 4-touching and one "flyer" for a 2" group. Need to find more of those HS cases! Have some old style AA cases but taper inside won't let me use the stump wad. Loaded up some more but in Cheddite el'cheapo hulls. Will go out this next weekend and see how they do. Oh, the velocities ranged from 1510-1570 fps. Much better than I would have thought. If anyone has some HS cases to trade for some NOE slugs, we can work a deal maybe? This puts the .410 into the 50-75 yd. Deer gun range I'd say, in the few states where it is legal that is. Mr. Wiley Coyote would be in trouble for sure. Now, if only ACME sold these...

This is turning out to be a fun project!

Boolit Master
    I'm sure others have had some success with the "Thug Slug " but I have found no joy. Been doing great with both Svarog and NOE Diablo. I used 8 gr. Unique or 12 gr. Blue Dot with the Svarog and 15.5 gr. Lil'gun with the NOE Diablo. These are all fired out of a Henry lever gun with a Skeet choke.