Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Reducing Lee 1oz Slug data?

Boolit Buddy

Reducing Lee 1oz Slug data?

I'm new to shotgun reloading and I'm starting up with the Lee 1oz Key Drive slug. On the Lee load data they show
    Win AA hull, W209 primer, WAA 12 wad with 36gr of Herco for 1587fps.

For the most part I do not need that much velocity as this will not be used for hunting. I'd like to bring the velocity down to around 1100-1250.

Any suggestions or safety tips on reducing the charge?

Boolit Grand Master

That's easy. Just use 1 ounce lead shot data, which is easy to find in the velocity range you want. I doubt HS6 could be reduced to those levels and still shoot good.

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the quick reply

Boolit Master

I you a PT1205 wad from Ballistic Products and from from there web site. You can definitely use 1oz and 7/8 oz data.

Banned
    Greetings, watch out for those Lee loads smack you real bad.

Most shooters stop around 32 gr of HS 6 and same goes with Herco 32 gr. any more and be prepared to visit your Dentist for loose fillings.
    You did not mention whay kind of a gun you plan to use, is it rifled or smoothbore ?
    If its a smooth bore then you need to do some safety checks by pushing the slug in wad backwards to see if you have a fiction fit of 6 to 10 lbs with the wad you plan to use.
    Always use name brand time tested wads.
    For load testing always use newer Fiocchi hulls.

Even tho its a fun hobby " We are still playing with Fire, watch out.

Use only fold crimp.
    Hoping it helps you.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 09-28-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info Ajay. I'll be using a 20" smoothbore. I knew the 36 gr of Herco was a lot more than I needed lol. I have Claybuster CB1118-12 wads slowly meandering their way to Texas at the moment. They're the only substitute for the Win AA 12 I could find when I placed my order. They were also out of stock on everything except for once fired Win AA hulls so I currently have those on the way also.

Cargo: Try 18 gr of Green Dot, WAA12 wad, Lee Slug will be right around 1150-1200 fps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Cargo: Try 18 gr of Green Dot, WAA12 wad, Lee Slug will be right around 1150-1200 fps.

Randy
    I'll see if I can find some, thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I've done the same, substitute the slug for 1 oz loads. Had a fun clay bird outing with an unsuspecting friend when we substituted slugs for shot. He was PO'd when he kept missing until we fessed up. He did almost get one with the wad though. For those worried we had several miles of safe backstop. My reason for loading light was slug loads my kids could shoot without detaching their retinas. There is something about a full 25 round box of slugs you make cheaper than trap loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of my local ranges mandate slugs on anything except for the skeet and trap ranges. I also enjoy seeing those large holes appear in my targets.

I Really like the Federal Low Recoil Slug hulls. After I reshape the mouths they roll crimp almost as good as brand new Rio Hulls.

Here's one I did the other night and it is 18 gr of GD, One of the Claybuster Blue Wads 2 .125 Nitro Cards and a Lee 1 oz. Slug Roll Crimped with one of the Crimp tools form Reloaders Network.

I had problems with the crimp collapsing the mouth of the hull and determined that my payload was too short. The second card fixed it, and that shell is about as good as it gets. It looks very close to a Factory Loaded Round.

Got to make some more.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Buddy
    I Really like the Federal Low Recoil Slug hulls. After I reshape the mouths they roll crimp almost as good as brand new Rio Hulls.

Here's one I did the other night and it is 18 gr of GD, One of the Claybuster Blue Wads 2 .125 Nitro Cards and a Lee 1 oz. Slug Roll Crimped with one of the Crimp tools form Reloaders Network.

I had problems with the crimp collapsing the mouth of the hull and determined that my payload was too short. The second card fixed it, and that shell is about as good as it gets. It looks very close to a Factory Loaded Round.

Got to make some more.

Randy
    Why did you have to reshape the mouth and have you put them on the range yet? Fantastic job, it looks great.

Cargo

My most accurate load with the 1oz key drives have been 45 grs of BD, Fiocchi hull, and the PT1205 wad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon: These were O/F Federal Low Recoil Slug Hulls. When the roll crimp unwinds during firing they distort a small amount just like most hulls do, but these seem to go back to normal much easier. They are excellent Quality Hulls..

I have shown how I recon these hulls to nearly perfect by shoving them onto a Tapered Spud with a Heat Gun on it, and then they roll crimp just about perfect again. See before and after pic below. Second pic is crimped with BPI crimp tool. Third pic done with RN tool. It has a nice radius on the outside.

Other Hulls I've used like Rio's tend to get pretty distorted when fired and they don't come back nearly as well. They just can't take the heat so they are pretty much a fire once, reload once, and trash. Plus that they have stupid Metric Primers.

The only way to tell these from Factory Loaded Federal Slugs is the Lee Slugs don't have a indent in the nose like the Feds do. If you don't know exactly what you are looking at, you would never know the difference.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-01-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Leon: These were O/F Federal Low Recoil Slug Hulls. When the roll crimp unwinds during firing they distort a small amount just like most hulls do, but these seem to go back to normal much easier. They are excellent Quality Hulls..

I have shown how I recon these hulls to nearly perfect by shoving them onto a Tapered Spud with a Heat Gun on it, and then they roll crimp just about perfect again. See before and after pic below. Second pic is crimped with BPI crimp tool. Third pic done with RN tool. It has a nice radius on the outside.

Other Hulls I've used like Rio's tend to get pretty distorted when fired and they don't come back nearly as well. They just can't take the heat so they are pretty much a fire once, reload once, and trash. Plus that they have stupid Metric Primers.

The only way to tell these from Factory Loaded Federal Slugs is the Lee Slugs don't have a indent in the nose like the Feds do. If you don't know exactly what you are looking at, you would never know the difference.

Randy
    Like the heat gun idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk