Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors and coverage?

Boolit Buddy

Colors and coverage?

Hey Everyone,

I have read a number of posts saying "powder X gave me better coverage than power Y".

Is there any consensus as to which powder/color give the best one coat coverage?

I am hoping to find something that gives me a good single coat coverage.

Thanks.

S.

Boolit Master
    Ford light blue from eastwood
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Smokes white and wine red mixed 50/50 same for his white and jet black. Alone, none of them work very well in our humidity.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I am inclined to stick with vendors that participate on this forum when I can. Of the colors you mentioned, is there one that you would pick above the others?

Boolit Master

I've been using Smoke's Clear for everything the last couple of years...not really a pretty finish but easy to work with (shake 'n bake) and yields a nice uniform coating. Did around a thousand .45 SWCs over the weekend and, after PC, they look like they just fell out of the mold.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    Smokes Carolina Blue, Yellow Green and a 50/ 50 mix of each gives me great results...

Boolit Master

I have never had my two mixes from above fail to work, even with humidity in the up 90% range, it works and makes a smooth coat and is not to thick.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I bought a stock of powder from the internet before I knew about Smokes. Everyone seems to like his powders. I use red, blue and black. I don’t see any difference between them. Humidity can be a problem double bag powder and keep in tight sealing Tupperware if possible. I add silica gel packs to mine too. My workshop is in my basement that is humid, but I don’t have any problems associated with humidity. Maybe other brands and colors are more susceptible to humidity, but I can’t comment because I haven’t used others.

Boolit Master
    I like the dense colors just so I can see if there are any flaws or thin spots. Never need more than one coat.

I started with Eastwood Ford Light Blue cause it seems to work for everyone. It certainly does for me, but, I live in the desert Since you are in the Pacific Northwest (PNW Steve) they you may have more difficulty with the shake and bake method, especially on those colder, misty days

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I use a purple and a what I call slime green from powder 360 and have had great results, along with the eastwood ford blues.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    Folks tend to assume that it rains a lot where I live and are surprised that I live in fairly arid country. Sage brush and rattlesnakes just down the road. Humidity is not an issue here. We get 16-19 inches of rain a year. On the other side of the state there are places that get over 100 inches annually.

Thanks for all of the input. I am going to snag a couple of the colors suggested from Smoke and the Ford Blue from Eastwood.

Boolit Grand Master
    Smokes orange usually works first time every time for me
    as does clear.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Powder paint is similar to regular house paint when it comes to coverage. Some colors in house paint just will not cove in a single coat, namely yellows to mention the worst. Darker colors and blues, greens, blacks usually cover the best regardless of manufacture. I have found the same holds true for powder paints.

to assure good coverage for those first getting into PC, do yourself a favor and buy your powder from "Smoke" because if it doesn't work and give good coverage is is something you are doing wrong, it's not the powder!

When you get the PC process down and feel the need to expand, if you ever do, I recommend Prismatic Powder, a large powder manufacturer selling over 6K colors and types of powder online.

I started with Prismatic back in 2012 because the professional coaters I talked with recommended Prismatic for quality powder; over the years I have never been disappointed with Prismatic powder or service. I also like that I can look up the specs on a powder, picking powders more suitable for my needs. I don't recommend resellers other than Smoke, not saying they don't sell good powders, but as a reseller they typically do not have the specs on what they sell. With Prismatic you can even talk to the Company Techs and get more information if needed. But I will caution that you need to know what you are buying, as all powders will spray, but not all powders will shake & bake. If you do shake & bake stay with the solid colors.

Boolit Master

Here is a chart that will give some ideas of the different kinds of PC powders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A3098C7-387A-4280-B2E6-645B19B24157.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	268622
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I've been using Smoke's Clear for everything the last couple of years...not really a pretty finish but easy to work with (shake 'n bake) and yields a nice uniform coating. Did around a thousand .45 SWCs over the weekend and, after PC, they look like they just fell out of the mold.

Bill
    smokes clear here also

Boolit Buddy
    I see slot of support for Smokes clear.

I have a silly question........ How can you judge one coat coverage with clear.?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    I see slot of support for Smokes clear.

I have a silly question........ How can you judge one coat coverage with clear.?
    By measuring drive bands before and after coating. Using Smoke's Clear, I get a (very!) consistent .0015"-.002" increase in diameter on everthing I coat.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    The Problem with choosing a powder is all the powders on the above chart will spray coat, but all will not shake & bake which is what I believe the majority here is doing. Shake & bake typically works well with Solid Color Polyester powders.

Banned
    usually, the metallic, and darker polyester TGIC 80% or better gloss colors cover best. the whites and light colors are a turkey shoot.

these are the colors I know of that are good for 1 coat coverage

SHERWIN WILLIAMS:
    SILVER METALLIC (nice with metallic flakes but it Doesn't blend well with other powders)
    Other SW colors are great for spraying or blending

CARDINAL:
    FLINT GREYBLACK
    GLOSS SMOOTH PEARLESCENT STEEL GRAY
    SEMI GLOSS HAMMER WHITE
    SEMI GLOSS METALIC SILVER
    SEMI GLOSS TEXTURE METALIC CHROME

TIGER DRYLAC:
    SMOOTH GLOSSY GENTIAN BLUE
    SMOOTH GLOSSY Graphite Black
    SMOOTH GLOSSY MOSS GREEN
    SMOOTH GLOSSY NUT-BROWN
    SMOOTH GLOSSY Ochre Brown
    YELLOW GREY

DU PONT:
    RASPBERRY RED
    SIGNALCARBON BLACK

IVC:
    PLATINUM SILVER

and severe PBRP and Easwood PC's I can't remember off the top of my head

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    Folks tend to assume that it rains a lot where I live and are surprised that I live in fairly arid country. Sage brush and rattlesnakes just down the road. Humidity is not an issue here. We get 16-19 inches of rain a year. On the other side of the state there are places that get over 100 inches annually.

Thanks for all of the input. I am going to snag a couple of the colors suggested from Smoke and the Ford Blue from Eastwood.
    Yes, it was an assumption. Have spent a lot of time on the western side of the Cascades so I guess that narrows down the region you live in I always thought it amazing to drive across that part of the country, no moisture in sight, and then go over a bridge spanning the Snake River. Makes you wonder where all that water came from.

You can't go wrong with those powder choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast