MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Marbles Game Getter loads

Boolit Master

Marbles Game Getter loads

Thirty or more years ago I made up some 44 shot loads for my 1908 Game Getter but have lost the load information. Anyone here own and load for a Game Getter? The Marlin owners site has some load information but the Game Getter is a weak break action and the Marlin loads seem a bit stiff and I don't want to damage the old gun. I have a partial box of shot loads that came with the gun; I plan on breaking one down to see how and with what it is loaded and will attempt to shoot one across the chronograph to ascertain the velocity of a factory load. So far I haven't found much information on the internet.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I don't own a Game Getter, but shoot .44-40 shot in a 1905 Colt SA, Marlin 1894, Bond Arms Derringer and an H&R .44 Garden Gun. I load 5 grains of Bullseye with 180 grains of shot, Buffalo Arms .45 card over powder and a .44 card over the shot in a standard .44-40 case. Velocity is about 1050 fps. Based upon published Speer data for loading their shot capsules in .44 Special, and cross-checking pressure tested .44-40 data it is a mild load approximating .44-40 factory ammo. If you want to be especially cautious in your Game Getter patterning is acceptable even when reducing the Bullseye charge to 4 grains. My old 1950s RCBS .44 Game Getter Shot dies do a nice job crimping a standard .44-40 case when abutted firmly against the shell holder at the top of its stroke. Crimp die must be backed off to crimp the 5 in 1 blank cases.

Attachment 268458Attachment 268462Attachment 268465Attachment 268466

Also good is to use the Starline 5 in 1 blank case with same 5 grains of Bullseye, .45 card over powder, and Federal .410 plastic shotcup, 150 grains of shot and .36 card inserted inside shot cup, crimped in end of shell and protruding plastic fingers trimmed offf with a knife. Patterns better than bulk shot loaded in the standard cases, but is more expensive.

Attachment 268459Attachment 268460Attachment 268463Attachment 268464
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-28-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.