RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shippping J-words and boolits vis USPS

Shippping J-words and boolits vis USPS

A friend is to ship me some boolits and J-words via USPS, but he is wanting to make sure it is an accepted way to ship via USPS. I'm cross-eyed trying to "find" the answer to this on USPS website. So, is this okay to do (pretty sure)? Certainly they are inert (sic, non-explosive). I want to confirm for the both of us this is okay to do. I can't keep up with the changes to regs...

Given if it is still okay to ship USPS, what is the best way to answer the question "what is in the box"? Don't think "J-words" or "boolits" will work with the snowflakes behind the counter. Weird world these days!

Thanks

Yes. Completely legal... 'copper fittings' or 'lead fittings'
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you for the response.

Make sure they are well packed, doubled plastic bags in at least one box.

Stories abound where shipments of them have busted open.
    Whatever didn't fall out of the box gets taped up & sent on.
    They aren't going to spend any time rounding up whatever got scattered out on the floor.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

"metal fittings", yes. Loaded ammo, NO!! Went to ship a replica BP revolver some years ago; '51 Colt Navy, USPS type behind the counter almost blew a gasket. Had to show her the USPS regs on shipping 'antiques', another person actually called a local gunsmith type to get the lowdown on shipping. 1st person wanted to call the local cops and have me arrested. Told her to go ahead, I would wait.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Banned
    I just say it's not hazardous, it's none of their business what it is IF it's not against their rules.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Make sure they are well packed, doubled plastic bags in at least one box.
    No plastic bags. They can and do break even when double bagged. Best bet is to use Tyvek envelopes. They can withstand the rigors of travel w/ weight in them.

Boolit Buddy
    I like to use the food save bags that can be vacuum sealed. Then ship in a box with lots of padding. This way the stuff doesn't roll around. Those bags are fairly tough. Even if they do lose their vacuum, they are usually strong enough not to tear open.

Boolit Master

Depending on box size, cut extra heavy duty cardboard to fit In side mailing box, tape and retape this “inner box” for extra insurance of any rough handling by shippers. Have mailed Pb and foundry type and other “ heavy items” this way, no problems. All I’ve been asked is “ there anything fragile or dangerous/ hazardous “ in box, then push green button??? on the little screen. Just remember the term “ widgetts” if they ask whats inside, LOL.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No plastic bags. They can and do break even when double bagged. Best bet is to use Tyvek envelopes. They can withstand the rigors of travel w/ weight in them.
    Plus a bunch on the above advise. And they are free, available at most Post Office Lobbys.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Are we taking about the bullet itself or loaded cartridges?

and J-words??? I am at loss on what that is.

Boolit Buddy
    J-Words are jacketed bullets.

I ship rifle and pistol brass, jacketed and cast bullets on a regular basis in USPS flat rate box.

You have to answer a question about fragile, liquid or flammable and it's a yes/no question, that's it on questions other than will $50 in insurance cover it or do you want more.

Local post office bends over backwards to be helpful. They know I'm shipping reloading stuff have been helpful ever time.

I'll be shipping out a box with 6.5 Creedmoor brass and a bunch of 6.5 bullets this morning. Don't expect any issues.

And J-words are jacketed bullets, not supposed to be mention them on a cast boolits site.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-28-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Nothing to see here, move along.........
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-28-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: The dreaded double post.

Boolit Master

''Ohhhh, that sure is a heavy package you got there ! What's in it? ...... Lead?'' they say. I say, ''yep . '' Not live ammo, not primers or powder. not hazardous as in capable of blowing up and not more than 70 pounds in a flat rate box. Given that's true, you should be good to go. Pack well an use lots of tape. You can also nest boxes inside each other and tape the livin daylights out of both layers. You do not have to volunteer any info beyond the check mark on the touch screen. Any extra info may just serve to freak out the democrat voting worker behind the counter.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I scrounge the waste basket at the range for the empty bullet trays and cover the open end with cardboard and tape it on to prevent damage.
    Bill

Tyvek bags for the win.

Fill any void spaces with cardboard.

Cover entire box with strapping tape.

That's the best, safest method.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mailed a box of Hornady XTP 44 Cal. 240 grain j-word pistol bullets last week in a flat rate box. Answered the question "fragile, liquid or flammable and it's a yes/no question", Ans. No. No problem.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Brass, bullets, both cast and jacketed and lead are ok to mail. The items are heavy so package it well, as posted above.

"Joe Biden" campaign buttons... or some equally ignorant liberal purveyance.

Sorry,just picked up a dz aluminum arrows from post office. DO NOT BEND,emblazoned in several easy to see locations. Box was mangled..... post master says he doesn't know how it happened. Just a dang shame,so pack your goods to be handled by untrained gorillas. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast