RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Molds??

Boolit Bub

.45 ACP Molds??

A little elf just told me that Santa is going to bring me some reloading dies for our .45 acp automatics. My wife and I both have Glocks and I have a Kimber 1911. My question is what is the best/most trouble free boolit mold for a .45 acp to shoot in an automatic. I cast and reload for our revolvers (.38/357 and .44 mag.)? What do others use??

Thanks,

Grampie not Grumpie

Boolit Bub
    PS:

I am currently using Lee's Tumble Lube molds.

Grampie not Grumpie

Boolit Master

I use and love the Lee 452-200RF.
    Shoots great, no hang ups, no leading, sizes easily.
    This mold, for some reason, is the best casting mold I have! Right out of the gate, perfect castings. I made some boo-boos the first time. They did not show up in the cast boolitt.
    A really great mold.

I have a Kimber 1911 and have had good luck with the Lee 452-200-SWC, it shoots good and have had no feed problems with it. I also bought an old H&G 68 mold and its become my favorite. Both are semi wad cutters and both feed and shoot well.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Le Loup Solitaire

Molds for the 45 ACP

Hi, The major mold manufacturers all make good mold/bullet designs for the 45 ACP. Its just a matter of experimenting and finding out which one works well/best for you. I have an RCBS 225 grain Round nose (GI replica) double cavity that does very good work with 4.0-4.1 grains of Red Dot. My other molds are H&G, numbers 68,78 and 130 and they are absolutely the smoothest running molds that I have;They are 4 cavs and I can turn out large numbers of bullets in a short time especially when using two of them in tandem. The rejection rates are all less than 1% and thats a total of 10 or less out of a thousand castings. They all shoot good scores out of 4 different target pistols. The RCBS mold being a round nose does not cut clean holes in the target, but if its raggedy in the ten ring thats ok enough for me. If you use a mold and don't like it you can always put it up for sale on E-Bay and some of the clowns who, without caring, bid wildly on bullet molds will probably snap it up for double what you paid for it. If you can find a H&G, go for it as they are totally the best that was ever made. Good shooting. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

A round nose bullet will be the most trouble free in the 45acp. But as the others pointed out only experimentation will tell which is the best mould for your gun. The Lee TL swc didn't work out for my gun because of feeding issues and the Lee RN cured it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Smile

Plus 1 on the H&G 68, and/or the 130.

Another one not mentioned so far is the Lyman 452460. Nominally 200 grains and quite accurate from the semi autos. The 4 C is usually available on evilbay, and there are so many offered they usually go for a more reasonable price than many of the others mentioned.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    I really like the 452460. Got mine from Midsouth a few months back, 4 cavity for 63 bucks, it is a casting fool and it cast out of all four cavities a nice fat boolit between 453 and 454 so it comes out of the lubersizer real sharp and shoots great in my 3 Kimbers and one 625. Love it.

Boolit Master
    My plain jane 1911 clone (high standard) shoots the lee 452-200swc.great

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Lyman 452460. It shoots great through every gun I've tried it in. It would even feed just fine in an unaltered M1911A1 - but not with GI magazines.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Im a bottom feeder.I have the Lee 452-200gr SWC & the 452-228gr RN.Once I got the OAL right,no more FTF.Took a while.I cast up about 550 today with my double mould.Sunday I will size & lube.

Don't overlook the lee 230gr TC- mine casts closer to 240 gr, but that is a slick feeding round to be sure.

I just recently joined the forum myself, and my very first castings and reloadings were done with the Lee TL452-230-2R two-cavity.

Being a rank beginner in this, I was quite pleased when all my first rounds cycled with no problem. The gun was a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro. I figured the round 2-ogive nose would be best for my first efforts.

zardoz

Boolit Buddy
    No one has mentioned the Lyman 452374. It matches the GI ball and I never had it fail to feed. I use 7gr unique.

Boolit Mold

Talking

I agree with everyone that a SWC as the H&G68 wil make you very happy with your Kimber, and I think you should buy (ask Santa) for it. But being a Glock owner myself I would recommend that for your Glocks, you also ask Santa for either a Lyman 452374 or if you want a Lee it would have to be the 452-230 TC, so you won't at a latter time unpleasantly remembering Santa, the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy,etc., like I did.
    No FTE nor FTF with this two molds and Glocks.

I like the Lee 230 gr TC works very well

I have run all the major boolits through my Glocks without a hitch. The semi wad cutters run fine.I have a couple molds from the group buys and am getting setup to run those.

I like the Lee 200 swc tl in my colts. Just cast , tumble and load over 4.3 grains of Clays very smooth recoil. Very accurate and make nice cut holes in the targets.

In Remembrance

I can send you some boolits cast from several molds to try and see which work in your pistols. I mostly use Lee 452-200 SWC and Lee 452 -230-1R. DALE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    I use and love the Lee 452-200RF.
    Shoots great, no hang ups, no leading, sizes easily.

My favorite also for shooting in auto-loaders. I honestly don't recall ever having a jam with this boolit. I shoot it in front of 4.0-4.5 Bullseye. I have others I prefer in 45ACP revolvers but for reliability you will be hard pressed to beat the Lee 200 gr RF.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast