MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: A six cavity mold in different sizes weight and or caliber

A six cavity mold in different sizes weight and or caliber

Has there ever been anybody that’s done a six or eight cavity mold in different calibers or different weights what do you think the price would be for a group buy on something like that

And if this post is not allowed I’m sorry please delete I just do not know where to ask this but this look like a good place

Boolit Master

You're going to have to find at least 10-20 people who want the exact same setup.

Why not just buy two, three, or four cavity molds in the bullets you want????
    NRA Benefactor.

I have lots of molds they take up lots of room and you have to have handles for each set of molds .
    Most guys I have talk to around here in town think having a 30 cal mold in 110 and 150 to 180 be nice or one you can adjust. So if you can make a adjustable cavity for 3 different calibers in one 6 Cavity mold you just freed up room in the shop It was just a train of thought I had

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure what the threshold is to make it worth while for someone in the mold making business to set up and make a run of them.

As far as an adjustable cavity- if it was practical, I'd think we'd have seen them on the market by now.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Has there ever been anybody that’s done a six or eight cavity mold in different calibers or different weights what do you think the price would be for a group buy on something like that

And if this post is not allowed I’m sorry please delete I just do not know where to ask this but this look like a good place
    Hi,
    Have you checked Accurate Moulds? Tom offers a block that can hold five cavities up to .460" caliber. He charges an an additional $15.00 for each additional cavity, so you could theoretically have five different calibers and/or weights and/or designs. This will cost you a little more than $200 for a five cavity mould with different cavities. I had him make me a two cavity mould with two different .45 Cal paper patch bullet designs. Casts like a dream.

Regarding adjustable moulds, there are still a few companies that make them, but you'll find they are mostly nose pour paper patch type where you can adjust the length to the base. These are pretty pricey (around $175-$200+) for a single cavity mould.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have a two cavity mould with two sizes. Actually the same size, one is a boolit and the other is a round ball. What I am interested in are mostly round balls. I end up casting both because I feel it’s better to have a more even temperature. Most of the time I’m remelting the boolits. The double mould, instead of being faster, ends up taking more time electricity to use. Therefore, if you are not always going to be using all the different size boolits, I would advise against a mould with different sizes. Better get several different sized double moulds, if you want different size and shape boolits.

Boolit Master
    Probably just me but as far as I’m concerned the whole purpose of a 4, 6, or an 8 cavity mold is so you can cast a bunch o boolets at a time. If I wanted to cast multiple boolets, of difference weights, calibers, styles etc. I’d much rather have two 2 cavity molds than one 4, or 6 cavity molds that cast a bunch o difference boolets! Especially considering different size boolets cool at different rates. Don’t know for sure cause I’ve never tried ( and I probably never will) but I’d think it would be difficult to get all the different cavities to cast good Boolets at the same time. Just my opinion for what it’s worth
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

You don't need a set of handles for each mold.

I've got over 100 molds, maybe 12-15 handle sets.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I have a two cavity mould with two sizes. Actually the same size, one is a boolit and the other is a round ball. What I am interested in are mostly round balls. I end up casting both because I feel it’s better to have a more even temperature. Most of the time I’m remelting the boolits. The double mould, instead of being faster, ends up taking more time electricity to use. Therefore, if you are not always going to be using all the different size boolits, I would advise against a mould with different sizes. Better get several different sized double moulds, if you want different size and shape boolits.
    Exactly. You will end up with bullets you will not use.
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

While this does sound like a cool idea, the issues I might find as a user are:

1) Different calibers will heat-sink and fill at different temperatures. I believe you would be chasing the perfect "fill" with each type in the cavities.
    2) If I went into "Production" where I casted 1000-2000 in a night, the sorting after the cast, would be a P.I.A. for me.

As a Manufacturer:

1) Every spot on that mold would require a new CNC setup, if I was making this mold, I'd have to charge a boat-load for all the extra time in setup's
    2) How do I mark each cavity with type and size of each cavity?.... As a manf. I'd be extra charging for this.

It's a cool idea, but in reality, I think it would bring as many complexities as it would bring solutions to the problems. Personally I prefer to buy a 4 to 8 cav mold and just go bonkers with the amount I can cast with it in one night, and leave any "thinkin" at the shop door....

My $0.02

Lakehouse2012

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting point about added complications to manufacture.

I could maybe see the point in a .357 mold, to drop a pair of 125 gr bullets, a pair of 158 gr, etc.
    But I think each person would want a different setup.

Easier to buy a single 6 cavity in a bullet size/conformation that you know works and let the bullets rain.
    Or buy lee 2 cavity molds in several sizes if you are unsure. They come with handles, and don't really take up that much space.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Lee moulds are a great way to get started.