MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: whats the deal

Boolit Grand Master

whats the deal

I see the shortages on components and loaded ammo but what the heck is up
    with the lube sizers?
    I tried finding a lube sizer but non to be had it's like old mother Hubbered's cabinets
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Any time shortages hit all the reloading equipment gets bought up too. There were a couple of Stars for sale here last week, shoulda grabbed one.

Boolit Master

A lot of companies have been shut down for months. It's kind of hard to build product at home.
    NRA Benefactor.

They can only make 'so many' a month in normal times, they may be shut down, and demand is up.

Like it always does- supply will catch up whenever the crisis of the month is over.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I sold my luber[450 lyman with dies] last week on here. only one offer and he got it
    thanks butch

Saw some star sizes on eBay a few minutes ago

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1616s16 View Post
    I sold my luber[450 lyman with dies] last week on here. only one offer and he got it
    thanks butch
    Just sold my spare 450 too, to another member on the board.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I see the shortages on components and loaded ammo but what the heck is up
    with the lube sizers?
    I tried finding a lube sizer but non to be had it's like old mother Hubbered's cabinets
    Maybe it's a good time to take up powder coating.

For a member of 10 years, and with almost 5300 posts, it seems strange you don't already have one of these tools critical to reloading cast boolits though.

Boolit Buddy
    new lyman 4500's have not been available for quite some time, at least no where I have been looking.
    Barry

Moderator Emeritus

I snagged a nice vintage Star for a sweet price on S&S a couple weeks ago...Gotta be quick
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Even if the election goes well its going to get worse before it get better for component.

Covid slowed the supply chain and Covid and the Riots increased demand greatly. That lead to the current shortages.

The second wave is starting to hit every sector not just firearms, ammo and components. Covid slowed the supple chains for everything and manufactures of almost any product are facing a raw material/supply shortages. A couple of notable exception like popcorn. No movies theaters so there is a 111 million pounds of unsold and unpopped corn.

I retired a while back but I work P/T at an archery shop. We are out or very low stock on almost everything with back orders extending for months.

Try purchasing lumber. In some areas price is up 2 1/2 times from the same time last year. I just read the national average is up 80%.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Maybe it's a good time to take up powder coating.

For a member of 10 years, and with almost 5300 posts, it seems strange you don't already have one of these tools critical to reloading cast boolits though.
    Had a 450 sold it,I have used miles of lube, been powder coating for years
    I was looking is all, and noticed there weren't any to be had
    I didn't think casting was a thing these younger shooters did
    it's not tactical enough
    Last edited by white eagle; 09-27-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't know if Jim Flinchbaugh has been active on here lately, but he was making some nice ones. You might try emailing him.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Why would there NOT be shortages? The country has been shut down for Covid and it affects everyone else just as it does you. Shut downs equal no raw materials . . . a decrease in transporting material if it isn't "essential" . . . . plants closed so no production and then add on those who feel the need to "hoard". It's not surprising . . . . it should have been noticed right away at the beginning when there was a shortage of toilet paper and paper products.

The other day, I was talking with a fellow who was really upset because he wanted to buy a new Uberti rifle and couldn't find what he wanted - nobody had one in stock. Hmmmm . . . where are they made? Oh yea . . . Italy. And if anybody paid attention, Italy got hit hard by the virus and it will take them a long time to recover . . which equals shortages of Italian made firearms such as Uberti and Pietta. Now go to the various mail order suppliers and see what is still available in Uberti and Pietta cap and ball revolvers . . . not much nor will there be until the Italians can get back on their feet again. This virus was/is a "world wide crisis" - thank y9ou China. There are going to be shortages for a long time as a result.

Those things said . . I have seen "want to buy" or "I need" ads on this and other forums and the reloading fraternity has a lot of good guys in it, that, if they have something that they don't need or use and someone else needs it, they help them out. I think that is pretty amazing and admirable. And most of us are more than willing to do those things if it will help somebody else out.

During this crisis . . . I truly feel that we, here in the United States, are truly blessed with a POTUS who has had the ability to face the crisis, respond to it and get needed medical equipment under production, etc. - yet he is constantly criticized by those, many who were states that he bailed out during the iris by setting up hospitals, getting equipment and supplies to, etc. It cold have been a whole lot worse - we could all be operating under a "rationing" process right now like a lot of countries are. Instead, the farmers are still farming, the supplies are still moving in spite of increases demand and resulting slow down, the shelves in the grocery stores are still being stocked, the truckers are still driving and the list goes on and on. Yet . . . I have neighbors who complain because they order something off of Amazon and they don't get it on the day they want it. REALLY??? Unfortunately, the "Greatest Generation" is almost a memory . . or they could tell you what real hardship is when there was a real shortage during a major crisis . . . rationed meat, sugar, butter, fur and other food stuffs . . . "meatless Thursdays" . . . . only re-capped tires if you were lucky enough to get one . . . rationed gas . . . leather shortages so you had your shoes repaired - not throw them away and go to the store to buy another pair . . many farmers having to use horses as there wasn't enough fuel to run their tractors . . . and none of us have been requested to plant "Victory Gardens".

Yea . . it's been an inconvenience and will be for a long time . . . but just look at the contrast of how it is and how it could be. And just look at the contrast of those in Hollywood of then and now. During the war, Hollywood and the actors and actresses stood up as Americans should . . . they worked for the war effort . . . just look at how many actors served in the military . . . and look at what it is today . . a bunch of sniveling crybaby know-it-alls who want to tear this country down.

Yea . . . there may be shortages but we can deal with it. Eventually things will get back to normal.

Boolit Buddy

Very well said bedbugbilly, you hit the nail squarely on the head
    eveready

also year end tax season and everybody keeping inventory LOW.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I really didn't think that many people cast their own
    so I was taken aback by the lack of lube sizers
    wasn't looking for one,just looking
    I have all I will need primers for pistol,rifle and shotgun
    powder and cases and all the lead I can use in two life times
    so this shortage means nothing to me I can proceed as usual
    just made an observation is all
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I’m in good shape on guns, ammo, loading tools and components. I didn’t realize panic and shortage was in everything. Building material and any consumer goods that has anything to do with panic and preppers. Last month won 1/2 a beef from local 4H. Had week until delivery and had a hard time coming up with a new freezer. Fridges too, you can buy all the fancy models you want but plain old fridges are hard to come by. Roof shingles, 16’ lumber all in short supply.

Boolit Grand Master

Evertime we have one of these panic shortages components, ammo and loading equipment gets scarce. Bedbugbilly said it about as well as can be said. This shortage is different than the past ones in that not only are people panicking and buying but a lot of stuff but business's are closed with employees being laid off. This too shall come to pass.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

You think this is bad, wait until Venezuelan level Marxism is foisted on us. The substitute sizers for things like bread and meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.