Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component Shortages

Component Shortages

Just wondering what the groups thoughts are on the component shortages. I've seen it happen about every 3 or 4 years here lately. This year is the worst so far. I saw a brick of 1000 S&B spp sell on Fleabay for over $300. When Covid hit, I saw people that I would bet were anti gun start buying guns. At first shotguns, but then any gun they could get.

Sorry got a little off track. Do we think primers will return any time soon? and at what price?

For what I seen and how things are I think it will take some time if they will be show up and as for price is like you seen now. That is how I think it will be now. Yes this is the worst I seen also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    You can sell primers on there ????

Boolit Master
    seems some local independent gun shops around the country still have some supplies at normal prices, unfortunately it takes a lot of searching to find em.
    someone reported yesterday gun show seller had primers at fairly reasonable price. ive got some Seller beloit primers I'd be more than happy to sell for $300/1000
    it may take years once trump gets reelected for things to get back to normal. if for some oddball chance Biden gets elected there is no telling what might happen.
    that primer sale on fleabay do you mean eBay or maybe gun broker , I would not think eBay would allow primers to be sold on their site.

Boolit Master
    the crazy thing is, just a couple months ago before this shortage began you could get primers for $120-$150/5000, and some with rebates and stuff too, easily if you shopped around. this shortage sure did come on fast.

I hope I am wrong, but if this election goes all D, I doubt if things will ever get back to normal. They will change the laws and regulations that will limit and tax things to the point that some will be impossible to buy in certain chains of commerce ( just study NYS and the SafeAct).

Boolit Master
    I think the shortage is largely COVID related. Factories were shut down at the same time a buying frenzy started. I think election fears have a far smaller affect this time.
    I hope it gets back to normal soon.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen $300/K, but on GB currently most auctions for SPP are closing over $100/K, and sometimes $150/K for the less common types like match primers or magnums. Like you said, that's three to six times the typical gun show and LGS prices of 8-9 months ago.

Panic buying, I think, with many folks initially concerned that CoVID is TEOTWAWKI, fears worsened by the riots, plus the typical election cycle buying "just in case".

The fear driven buying from first two will eventually die out. What happens with the shortages related to pre election buying depends on who wins and how.

Boolit Master
    Dang, I just sold 5k, mix of SPP and LPP for $35/k locally to help someone out. Guess it’s time to stop that. If he flips them I’ll kick his ***.

Sure wish I could ship them, I’d be a seller for sure at $200/k

Supply will be back, but it'll take awhile.
    The hoarding will continue making it take longer than normal.

Last time around when .22s dried up, and slowly came back onto the shelves- hoarding continued.

How many stories have we heard of when a small shipment came in, somebody bought them all.

There was a article in one of the gun comic books- the author and his buddy were in a store, and they'd just set
    out a shelf full of .22s. His buddy bought 5K of them.
    He told him, you haven't bought 5K .22s in your life, why do it now?
    He only got a grumble for an answer, and now his buddy has more than a life time supply of .22s.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sorry I meant GB not EBAY. As far as shipping The seller listed shipping as actual cost. So i guess they could charge whatever they need to or want at that point. I thought about selling some but I don't have a hazmat license and no point in selling something I need if I'll need to replace them at a higher cost.

Boolit Master

At the same time as online, popular, high demand ammo zeroed out, the big online retailers started pushing reloading equipment. It's the perfect storm scenario. For all the laws, rules and regulations US manufacturers are saddled with, I'm looking to the Russians to get us out of this mess. And the election to go the right way.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

If Trump wins, it was "panic buying".
    If Biden wins, it was "reality buying".
    All a matter of perspective.

Boolit Master

Same story every election cycle, just this time a dose of Civil thrown in for good measure. I saw it coming before OB was elected and a friend and I stocked up on powder and primers before they went stupid. Now I've got a nice cushion and buy once a year to replace what I've used and forsee using in the next year at good prices, not pa ic pricing. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I got caught short on .224 75 Amax's on OB's second election for shooting 223 long range. Had a stash of 77s and a friend send 200 80s HPBT match to try which flew better than the 77s in a 1-9 twist. Go figure...

Boolit Master
    I bought 10,000 SPP for $700.00. Not a bad deal for these times though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I feel sorry for those who are too poor to plan ahead and prepare for tough times. I know one family like that, and I will insure they have ammunition to hunt and defend themselves with.

Those who take expensive vacations, drive new vehicles, or have a dozen or more weapons etc etc I have little compassion for. Choices have consequences.

But to answer the question, no one knows what will happen as there are too many unknowns. So far, every shortage has eventually ended and prices got back to acceptable levels. There is no assurance that will happen, but I believe it will. I am considering selling 100k primers at the local gun show if prices stay over $75/1000.
    Don Verna

I expect things will be tight for a long time regardless of the election outcome. Lots of social unrest, uncertainty, millions of new gun owners, etc. and that is before we even consider that it is an election year. Primers in particular will be tough since the manufacturers would rather sell loaded ammo than components.

Powder still seems sort of available, aside from certain flavors. Watching an auction for 2 pounds of Varget. Last I looked the bidding was up to $100 plus $60 shipping with more than a week to go.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

I was at a local gunshow yesterday.
    I am low on CCI LPP. so I looked around, one dealer had them for $40/k, so I bought 1k.
    another dealer had some vintage "staynless" Winchester LPP, $2 per 100, I bought all he had.
    I also stumbled on seven square cans "half-pounders" of Alcan powder for $5 each...that was sweet
    Four tables down, another dealer had a couple of the same half-pounders priced at $35 each
    lastly, I did see some vendors trying to sell primers for $65 to $75 per 1k.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Even if the election goes well its going to get worse before it get better for component.

Covid slowed the supply chain and Covid and the Riots increased demand greatly. That lead to the current shortages.

The second wave is starting to hit every sector not just firearms, ammo and components. Covid slowed the supple chains for everything and manufactures of almost any product are facing a raw material/supply shortages. A couple of notable exception like popcorn. No movies theaters so there is a 111 million pounds of unsold and unpopped corn.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

If Biden wins and is true to his word you won't need any components.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast