WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Component Shortages

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    If Biden wins and is true to his word you won't need any components.
    Loaded ammo only, right.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen lube grooves advertised lately.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    Dverna, most folks can only wish they could sell 100K primers and still be comfortable with what's left over.

Interesting that, in my action shooting club with over a hundred regularly competing members and half again as many repeat customer but non member sign ups for our bimonthly matches, there are only two active casters. All of a sudden I've got a half dozen people asking if I'll show them how to cast, including one who has thought about enough to ask if I can provide him with alloy. Others have asked if I'll cast bullets they can buy from me. The answer to everything but the last was, "Sure".

Boolit Master
    its slim pickings around here,we'll still find a 1k or 2 primers here and there at pre gouging prices and powders arent bad here or online,i think best case weve got about 6 months and worst case couple years or the new prices of 150 bucks a thousand for primers and 75 a pound for powder

Boolit Master
    I went through my stash and found commercial hard cast bullets I didn't even know I had or forgot about. Which was a nice surprise. At this point in time wouldn't even think about selling any primers nor powder or components because who knows how long the prices now being quoted here would come down to affordable levels. Might be a long time. But will start casting up a bunch of bullets for my moisins since they are a lot of fun to shoot.. And my '06 as well as 30-30. And yes will have to get a few new molds. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing. really wondering how well my Canadian Centennial rifle with the 26" long barrel will shoot with cast. I've shot it a few times with some Monarch 170 grain ammo and shot pretty good. Way less recoil than it's little brother the Canadian Centennial carbine with the 20" barrel. Frank

Boolit Master
    I just poked out to Midway to look at powder. Most of the common ones are available and Shooters World is running at good prices. Their HazMat fees aren't ridiculous ($12.00 last time I ordered) and free shipping. Tax is kind of a pain but my last order of 5# still came in at $25.00/pound.

Now the primer thing... Primers will not hit the reloading market again until the ammunition manufacturers get caught up with demand. Bullets are still whacky as can be too. But, that is how I found this place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    I just poked out to Midway to look at powder. Most of the common ones are available and Shooters World is running at good prices. Their HazMat fees aren't ridiculous ($12.00 last time I ordered) and free shipping. Tax is kind of a pain but my last order of 5# still came in at $25.00/pound.

Now the primer thing... Primers will not hit the reloading market again until the ammunition manufacturers get caught up with demand. Bullets are still whacky as can be too. But, that is how I found this place.
    I check Midway nearly everyday. The price of primers has NOT gone up, but other than some #11 caps and shotshell primers, there are NONE available.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I check Midway nearly everyday. The price of primers has NOT gone up, but other than some #11 caps and shotshell primers, there are NONE available.
    Reminds me of the old saying:
    "You can sell eggs for 5 cents a dozen all week long...as long as you don't have any eggs."

Boolit Master
    I reload small quantities of 32 S&W Long, 38 Special, 44 Special, and 308. I thought I was in good shape, and then thought I was almost out of Bullseye. I called my local gun shop thinking that perhaps Bullseye was not as sought after as regular rifle powder. No, they were plumb out of Bullseye, and none of their suppliers had it either. I was wrong on that theory. But I kept looking around in my storage and found a I did have a goodly supply of Bullseye. But it did bring home the scarcity many are faced with. After that I did a careful inventory of all powder I had on hand.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Let's see . . . giant increase in gun sales (any wonder???) . . . . Covid virus affecting production facilities . . . . . an "civil unrest" . . . . not to mention those that "hoard" . . all contribute to the situation.

Dust your flintlocks off boys . . . . . . . and keep your powder dry!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Dverna, most folks can only wish they could sell 100K primers and still be comfortable with what's left over.
    LOL...being old helps a lot. I used to load 20k rounds a year so planned accordingly. Turned 70 recently and I have a lifetime supply. My son is a disappointment when it comes to reloading and politics. Offered to give him one of my Dillon 550's or 1050's but he did not want to reload, so sold both presses to members here. I enable him and load ammunition for him at no cost...so I am part of the "problem". He might get into reloading when I pass on...maybe not.

In any case, my risk is so low that taking a profit on 100k primers is attractive if I can triple my initial investment. My stock was $18-25/1000. IMHO, the only reason prices are high is due to demand. Material cost increases are not driving up prices. But demand is not infinite. Most people will be happy when they have 10-20k primers put away and stop buying. Then, I expect prices to come back down. When they get to $30/1000 I will stock back up and wait for the next cycle. The unknown is regulatory changes if Biden wins such as taxes on components, and/or banning of internet and/or cross state sales of components. But that adds value to what we have in inventory.

In fact, it is the only reason for me NOT to sell 100k primers. A 25% tax on primers would immediately increase their value over and above the current demand driver that has made prices ridiculous.

One last thought. Democrats will eventually control our government. It is not a mater of if, but when. Even with a pro 2nd amendment SCOTUS, the government will enact laws that impact our right to keep and bear arms. Taxing is a back door strategy to accomplish that goal. It is a win-win for them. More revenue for them, and an attack on our rights.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12