Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Desert Eagle 44 and Lyman 429421 loads

Desert Eagle 44 and Lyman 429421 loads

Hoping to load a reduced load with unique powder in the combination that works the action. Anyone else using this? Also what other combination with this bullet works in the desert Eagle? Thanks

Ok, I am being lazy. I did a search and found responses elsewhere including the high road. Gas system so since this is for a friend, it appears H110/296 is a sure bet with a 240 grain bullet. He also has a Ruger Super Blackhawk so some 9.5 grains unique and 429421 unsized will be a lighter cheap bullet for plinking.

Boolit Master
    I know nothing about the Desert Eagle and what boolits it can feed in 44 however my experience in revolvers with 250 gr of lead and HS6 powder would give me the impetus to try it with similar cast slugs.

Mine is the RCBS 250k. There is nothing wrong with Unique, I use it and like it around the 8.5 gr level as Skeeter Skelton used it in magnum cases.

As I up the power, I prefer to switch to the slightly slower HS6, a spherical power that meters like butter on a hot skillet unlike the less meter friendly Unique and keep pressures right in the cast wheel house. I load 11.8 gr of HS6 and Hodgdons #26 lists pressure at 24,000 psi.

Certainly 9.5 gr of Unique will not beat up any gun designed and chambered for 44 Mag. As you may need to up your charge to allow cycling of the action, you will likely move more into the 30k something range.

I prefer staying in the 24,000 range with my load from the manual I mentioned.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-27-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope you are powder coating the boolits. It is my understanding that the gas system will clog up after using regular cast/lubed boolits. Don't know how long it will take to do that though. Might be able to shoot regular jacketed rounds thru the gun to "blow out" the gas system after so many boolits.
    I plan on trying powder coated boolits in my DE