Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Best Casting session ever.

Best Casting session ever.

I had a good one yesterday. Normally, I have about 15% rejects. I cast about 1200 yesterday and had just 70 rejects....about 6%. And...If some of you saw those rejects...I know what you'd say..."I'd shoot those". hahaha...I'm a bit picky.

I had the temp right (725 on PID), the cadence right, and before I knew it...I had a great pile of 358242s and 35891s. The downside...looking each and every one over at the end....that's one task I never enjoyed in the process. It took me 2 hours last night....haha

Oh....BTW...I remelted some old rejects that I had already powder coated that I didn't have the temp of the oven set correctly...they slumped.....Powder Coat does float...but it's a nasty dross....real nasty.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 09-27-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: wrong mold listed.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I toss rejects back in pot as I cast and when done , but will find one when coating or loading and I toss into pot for next session , with layer on top of pot I never notice the coating , now I did toss a bunch of alox lubed back into pot to cast as something else and that was nasty .

Funny how when temp and melt is right how nice the session goes , to me casting and loading are relaxing and enjoyable time .

Boolit Master

The Good - you got a load of well cast boolits.
    The Bad - you mentally slugged through the culling process after the physical day's marathon casting session.
    The Ugly - you may have stretched your tolerance for repetition at the expense of "muscle memory" that can leave a mark.

Different strokes for different folks. Culling, to me, brings with it an element of investigation, anticipation, and fun. What are the numbers? Did I get it right? How well did I do?

The Monday (maybe that should read Mundane) Morning Quarterback in me believes that unless there is a driving reason, why force the issue when you are already mentally, if not physically tired? You need time off in between sessions to resupply your stress relieving endorphins and euphoria inducing dopamine. Maybe even a day or two (of anticipation) to get back into that "fun time" groove.

[Sound like something penned in the 60's.]
    Last edited by Land Owner; 09-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Truth! I got out the 312 185 two cavity and after warming up it cast really nice. If I see a wrinkle or fin or base not filled out as I cast it goes back in the pot immediately along with the sprue cutoffs and is converted into a good boolit. It was a case of it was hard to find a place to quit because the work was going well. The pot didn't plug up and wasn't dripping and the mold was dropping boolits easily and they just look good.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE